Crystal Lake to Mt Islip via Islip Ridge - 4/10/2011

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Headed up Hwy 39 on Sunday to visit the newly reopened Crystal Lake area and give Islip a shot. I had actually never been up to this area and it lives up to its reputation. Despite extensive damage from the Curve Fire, it's one of the most scenic areas in the SGs.

I knew going in that the Islip Ridge Trail (Wawona on Tom Harrison Maps) had not been maintained for quite some time, so I was expecting quite a bit of route-finding and I was right.

We didn't quite know where the trailhead was, but Islip Ridge is easy enough to find so we scrambled up from the southwestern part of the lake and found it. The trail was surprisingly well kept for the first mile and a half or so (turns out the SGM Trailbuilders had recently been up there), but after that all bets were off. Deadfall galore, and probably about 2 and a half miles in the trail completely disappeared.

Lots of fun backcountry guessing, the trail eventually reappeared shortly before the junction leading up to the summit. The snow in the trees was incredible, huge chunks falling and it was fun to dodge. Good coverage on the summit, could have stayed up there for hours.

We then headed down towards Windy Gap, and the regular trail swings through the Little Jimmy area. Being on the north side, the snow was tough to negotiate, slushy, deep, and we could barely gain a foothold. We ditched that plan and scrambled back up, taking the ridge directly down to Windy Gap. It was steep, but not at all difficult. Once at Windy Gap, the trail down to the campground was easy to follow, despite an incredible amount of downed trees and rockslides making is slightly precarious.

All in all, and incredibly fun day, and sadly, probably the last of the winter for me. :(

(Some photos below. Note that the Hawkins ridge was covered in snow when we started, and almost completely melted when we left)

The rest here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wattifoto/ ... 481164556/

Crystal Lake by Wattifoto, on Flickr

Crystal Lake in Spring 2011 by Wattifoto, on Flickr

Twin Peaks East and Mt Waterman by Wattifoto, on Flickr

South Mt Hawkins by Wattifoto, on Flickr

Mt Islip by Wattifoto, on Flickr

Cheers from Islip by Wattifoto, on Flickr

Clinging by Wattifoto, on Flickr

Mt Baldy from Mt Islip by Wattifoto, on Flickr

Snow has Melted by Wattifoto, on Flickr
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Great photos boss! Also, best beer ever. :-)
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Never hit the trail without it. 8)
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

That's what my trip was missing. A brew.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Great stuff. Sorry I didn't get a chance to run into you up there. I might give that ridge a looksie soon too!

Thumbs up for the Bastard.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

BEAUTIFUL photos.

HJ