Twin Peaks

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
x15x15

Post by x15x15 »

My favorite winter area in the San Gabriels was the Twin Peaks area. I wouldn't access it from Buckhorn or any normal thing like that.

It seemed to be a winter ritual to take off from work or college on Friday with the AT skiis and head up the angeles crest highway. Past Horse Flats turn off the road soon makes a long straight-away up the grade. We would park right at the beginning of the long straight-away on the right hand side. We would hike strraight up the hill to the top of the ridge where there is a BIG rock we use to boulder and top rope on (end of cloudburst ridge maybe?). Awesome bivy and awesome ski back to the car on Sunday if there was enough snow. Saturday we would head over to the Twin Peaks base and set camp and climb Twin Peaks (hopng for snow). This area in the winter is as good as it gets... period... I can't believe I am talking about it... on a forum no less. It is soooo good that I would do overnighters in the spring, summer and fall too. Absolutely beautiful.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Hell yeah, I love Twin Peaks. Never been there in winter before, looking forward to a possible ascent from Bear Creek in the winter. Turn up the difficulty a few notches.
x15x15

Post by x15x15 »

TacoDelRio wrote:Hell yeah, I love Twin Peaks. Never been there in winter before, looking forward to a possible ascent from Bear Creek in the winter. Turn up the difficulty a few notches.
That area of the Crest is simply amazing. We use to go to triplet rocks too. If it wasn't for the dang highway and night time glow... you could believe you were in the middle of no where. And only a 45 minute drive from Los Angeles.

Winter time in this part of the crest is where I learned ALL of my alpine skill (except for getting our of crevasses). It definitely gets turned up a notch or two in the winter. Great Stuff...
Taco

Post by Taco »

I bet going to Triplet Rocks in winter would be a PITA.

Williamson has some tough looking areas on the south face, looking into that this winter.
x15x15

Post by x15x15 »

Big PITA!

But being young and with no real responsibities... what could be accomplished was simply amazing... as well as a little of this and a little of that kept everyone happy.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Sounds like my situation. :lol: