Smith Mountain

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Chickenlegs and I headed up Hwy 39 towards Crystal Lake to hike up to Smith Mountain. We left the car by about 7:15 a.m. and hit Smith Saddle 3 miles up by ~8:30. We spent a lot of time trimming ceanothus on the way up and down so the trip could be done quicker if needed.

Smith Mountain and its saddle:

In either 2009 or 2010 the trail builders blasted the trail clear at this point:

Here is Smith up close. One ascends the fire break. There is a decent use trail here. The trail gets moderately steep going up the mountain with an 800' climb in 0.5 miles:

The trail going into Bear Creek at the San Gabriel Wilderness sign:

From the top of Smith one gets a beautiful 360° view. Crystal Lake area:

We left the summit at ~10:00 and returned to the car at 11:30. We met five hikers and five bikes heading up as we were coming down. Total mileage: 7 miles. The trail is in incredibly good condition thanks to the recent refurbishment. Not sure if it was the SG Trailbuilders or the USFS who fixed the trail. Good job and thanks for the hard work!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the TR and the trail maintenance!

I was heading down past the that trail head (after visiting the Crystal Lake area) at about 11:30'ish and I remember seeing two hikers coming off the trail who were talking to a third person who looked like they were just starting out. Wonder if that was you guys. "Hey" if it was!
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

Nice, I'm going to have to head up there soon. Looks like a wonderful hike.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

HikeUp wrote: Thanks for the TR and the trail maintenance!

I was heading down past the that trail head (after visiting the Crystal Lake area) at about 11:30'ish and I remember seeing two hikers coming off the trail who were talking to a third person who looked like they were just starting out. Wonder if that was you guys. "Hey" if it was!
Hey Hikeup! That was us! We were chatting with a woman who was asking for directions to Crystal Lake. LOL!
What were you driving? We were surprised by how many motorcycles were up there already.

I forgot to post the last picture of the off-road area by the East Fork bridge. This area won't be open soon:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Mike P wrote: The off-road area by the East Fork bridge. This area won't be open soon:
You'll need a flotation vest for that off road area. :shock:

HJ
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

im adding this one to my list! thanks!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

That looks really nice! I love it - a new trail to check out! And big thanks to the Trailbuilders of course.

The water level is crazy - and great!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Mike P wrote: What were you driving? We were surprised by how many motorcycles were up there already.
Silver Honda CR-V. I think motorcyclists have a much better network of communication than us hikers :D

Glad to hear that there is a decent use trail up the ridge. Last July the main trail was in good shape (except for the rattlesnake!) but the ridge was kind of a free for all. A worthy hike for sure that I wouldn't mind doing again very soon!