20110328 Suitable Title - Middle Hawkins

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm normally such a bright light of intelligence in an otherwise dark world filled with deep, endless sadness, but I can't be so awesome everyday. Thus, I bring you a trip report with photos, narrated by a caveman mixed with a horrible racist stereotype-like Indian/Native American. Please call the ACLU and let them know I might offend someone. Prepare for panties to bunch. Get the tissues. It's cry time. (I might even use the word "poop")

GOAL BIG OBVIOUS COULOIR. WANT CLIMB.

ZACH SAY HE LIKE POSTHOLE.

ROCK. MUST CLIMB ROCK BECAUSE ROCK.

HARDER THAN LOOK. FIRST ASCENT, GRADE IVVIVIVIVIVIVIVVIIVXXMMXMXMXMXMXM 5.16E A7+ R/X WI54- M14 762X51MM

APPROACH DONE. APPROACH NOT FUN. SNOW FALL DOWN MOUNTAIN LOUD AND BREAK TREE LIKE TWIG.

ZACH STAND BY BEGINNINGS OF TO CLIMB. SNOW SOFT, NOT GOOD UNLESS WANT DIE.

SPEED ON ASS

ZACH THROW SNOW AT PLACE FOR SHAMAN DRUM

NOT CREATIVE ENOUGH FOR CAPTION

[serious mode]Basically, conditions sucked bigtime, so we were unable to really give the route a shot. There was some rockfall, and some minor avalanche activity. The snow was usually between ankle and knee deep, and crotch deep in places. This is not conducive to the word fun. We turned back after eating lunch on the road that goes up to South Mount Hawkins, and land nav'ed our way around to the amphitheatre, as I wasn't being an attentive pointman, so I missed our tracks somehow. Everyone makes mistakes. This allowed us to learn a bit more about the area, so it's a bonus.

When we got back to the car, we were standing around shooting the shit when we heard a huge avalanche rip down the mountain in the general area of our intended route. Really loud, pretty cool.

I think the route will be in condition by mid-January 2011.

Some cool crazy numbers compiled on the route:
-3.7mi round trip likely
-around 2,800-3,000ft gain and loss
-Probably 45 degrees at the steepest
-Ends near summit of Middle Hawkins
-Beer is delicious
[/serious mode]
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Yep, that couloir is screaming "Climb me, climb me!". When it finally does get into condition, you'll prolly have about a 2 hour window before it turns crappy again. :lol:
I really like the amphitheater pic. 8)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Taco wrote: -Beer is delicious
Thanks for the beta! :wink:
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice write up fellas - we need the National Forest People to assign us guns and rubber bullets, so we can sniper the people that put graffiti on those rocks, we should be allowed to shoot them between the legs where it will hurt because they have no brains so shooting them there will have no effect :shock:

Glad you backed off before you went on the "white ride" of your life that would have been ugly :(

Compared to San J the Gab's got way more snow :D
norma r

Post by norma r »

:shock: The snow is ALIVE and thankfully so are you and Zach. Your insightful TR talked me out of waisting (literally waist deeping) a day in the snow tomorrow. It should be an epic post-hole and slide activity day with the 80 degree+ forecast. Praying for clouds so we can hang onto the snow and have it harden a bit.

Loading my Avy video from yesterday as i type. I'll post before the night is over.
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

hahaha great stuff comrades =)