Mt Islip 3-27-11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

After hearing that Hwy 39 re-opened, I just had to get up there and visit one of my favorite childhood haunts—Crystal Lake. Phil (lik2hik) and I set out from the campground parking area and snowshoed up to Mt Islip (8250’) via Windy Gap. We actually hit the ridge at the saddle just east of WG, because it looked more fun to go that way. Though the snow was good on the climb up, the warm temps yesterday afternoon made for major postholing on the trip down. To minimize the slogging we got on the S Hawkins fire road and followed it back through the Deer Flat CG. A very fun outing which brought back a lot of great memories for me!
Pix:http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042415@N ... 373741810/
James

Post by James »

Nice hike with a nice watering hole at the end.

Nice photos, especially that "summit" photo, never knew the mountains could be so small next to people. 8)
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice job Phil and Dave - I've never been there so your report just moved that area onto my to do list, I've seen the area from the PCT only a few years after the curve fire, it looked narly back then.

I really like that Telephoto shot of Baldy and those 2 giant climbing legends on the summit only missing the wounded guy Mark and the shot would be complete. :shock: From someone else's post on FB he was sacrificed on the Baldy Bowl, one of the climbing girls stuck their axe through him to please the climbing Gods :wink:

Looks like a fun place to get to before the snow melts, what time does the gate open each day or can you get back there 24 hours a day?
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

LOL! Beautiful photos Dave! We missed you and Phil on Sunday, but then again, we needed more human sacrifice....so guess it was safer you weren't there :lol:
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

Hi Dave:
That was a fun day indeed! Great way to get the cobwebs out of the snowshoes (except for the postholing). I definitely recommend that trip.
Looking at the zoomed baldy photo, I'm convinced those climbers are waving at us! They have great eyesight to compliment their hand to hand combat skills.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

It's amazing what you can do with a zoom lens these days.

HJ

Dave G

Post by Dave G »

lilbitmo wrote: Looks like a fun place to get to before the snow melts, what time does the gate open each day or can you get back there 24 hours a day?
I'm pretty sure you can get in there 24/7. Let me know when you go and maybe I'll come with.
TracieB wrote: LOL! Beautiful photos Dave! We missed you and Phil on Sunday, but then again, we needed more human sacrifice....so guess it was safer you weren't there :lol:
Sheesh, as if the Atherians weren't enough; now we gotta worry about crazed female mountaineers on Baldy with razor sharp G12's and ice tools?? :shock:
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Nice! I have not explored this area yet and your pictures make me want to get up there and check it out. I was expecting pictures of fresh baked cinnamon rolls when I looked through your pics, but found none. :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hey, we parked in the same spot as you today.

Also, I've never seen the Islip hut ruins that buried before. Nuts.
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

That looks fun. Great pics.
norma r

Post by norma r »

:D Fun outing boys! Especially fun to visit an area that has great childhood memories on such a beautiful day. I gotta' Islip over there some day.

HJ, you kwack me up! major LOL when i saw that one. Hikin' Joyce is gonna' grow up comparing all men to your sense of humor and they will never match up. you is too funny!
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

Awesome TR!

Jim,you so crazy haha
LetsGlissadeLhotze

Post by LetsGlissadeLhotze »

I was just there today and noticed that cabin... I also found tons of really old bottles and rusty sardine cans on the ridge leading up to the top.. I took a really fun chute all the way down to 39 where the bobcat and backhoe are...
Heres my epic Islip summit photo
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

LetsGlissadeLhotze wrote: I took a really fun chute all the way down to 39 where the bobcat and backhoe are...
Cool picture. So where are the bobcat and backhoe at?
LetsGlissadeLhotze

Post by LetsGlissadeLhotze »

starting Where the 2 and 39 meet its just around the bend .5 miles or so(heading down 39). They just leave all there gear outside..I took a chute all the way up Islip and down the backside to the road ... the entire thing was wetsliding when I stopped.. I had to move off to the side so I wouldnt plunge off the waterfall.......I was pissed to find the 2 isnt plowed past old snowcrest...
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

Whoa cool Hwy 39 is open?! I thought that was closed permanently. Mt Islip is great, amazing scenery as you're going up :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

rokclimbr wrote: Whoa cool Hwy 39 is open?! I thought that was closed permanently. Mt Islip is great, amazing scenery as you're going up :D
Hwy 39 is open to Crystal Lake but it is not open to Hwy 2.

HJ