Trail-runners...?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Just curious, (cause ive looked through a LOT of the threads in this mtn bike/tr-run section..) and havent found any other trail runners, its all mtn bikers...so, my question is, are there ANY trail runners on here?

lemme know if youre here, im curious how far/often/ and where other peeps go.

I run the lil single track trails in the hills here, with at least a 2000ft -4000ft elevation gain.
I get in 8-10mi a day for 3-4 days in a row then, take a day or 2 off, then do a 15-20 mile hike/jog/sprints combo -repeat weekly-ha....I only average 50 miles per week, im guessing more serious runners get in more miles/have way better times...but i just started trail-running about 10 months ago (i used to just hike alot, but then figured going faster would be more fun) :D

*edit-ok, i have found a couple posts, but theyre from like years ago--
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

I run but only on roads. I haven't gotten into the trail running although I'd like to find some local trails.
gwjones00

Post by gwjones00 »

I trail run all the time, but I live in Orange County, so stick to the hills of the OC.
everyday

Post by everyday »

oh...I see. I didnt realize everyone lived so far away :cry:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

everyday wrote: oh...I see. I didnt realize everyone lived so far away :cry:
Zippitydude and "guest" on the SJ's forum are both serious trail runners...

HJ
everyday

Post by everyday »

yeah...ive PM'd both of em like a month ago n told em lemme know if they wanna meet up since i go out every day...havent heard back yet, its cool, no one seems interested in doing anything-i'll just keep goin alone til someone hits me up....like everything else in my life..
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I occasionally run down the Ski Hut Trail from the hut to where it hits the dirt road.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Thats only 4 miles well, 8.4 roundtrip.., im not driving 90 minutes to run only 4 miles, lol...now, if theres a good hike added to it, thats different... I havent been to mnt baldy before. It looks cool in pics though, and hiking to top looks cool. :D
obie

Post by obie »

everyday

Post by everyday »

Hey, that looks fun! ima come out n do that in september,thanx :D
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

I've only recently started to trail run. 2 trail runs in fact with not a whole lot of elevation gains or distances. My G/F comes along.

We have been going to schabarrum and running along the couger trail past the horse corral up to the powder canyon junction and back down through the park asphalt walkway. Total is around 3.25 miles.

I normally run on pavement anywhere from 3-8 miles 4x per week m-f at a 5.3-6.0mph pace and a hike on sat/sun. However, this week and hopefully for the next 2 months i'll be running 2x per day, once in the morning and once in the evening at least 5x per week plus the weekend hike.

I'm trying to get my mileage up and pace up by the end of the 2 months, as well as get in better shape :D

I'm actually curious if there are any other trails to run that have less than 500ft gain over a 2-3 mile one way distance so the g/f and I can change up our schabarrum run.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

everyday wrote: Just curious, (cause ive looked through a LOT of the threads in this mtn bike/tr-run section..) and havent found any other trail runners, its all mtn bikers...so, my question is, are there ANY trail runners on here?

lemme know if youre here, im curious how far/often/ and where other peeps go.

I run the lil single track trails in the hills here, with at least a 2000ft -4000ft elevation gain.
I get in 8-10mi a day for 3-4 days in a row then, take a day or 2 off, then do a 15-20 mile hike/jog/sprints combo -repeat weekly-ha....I only average 50 miles per week, im guessing more serious runners get in more miles/have way better times...but i just started trail-running about 10 months ago (i used to just hike alot, but then figured going faster would be more fun) :D

*edit-ok, i have found a couple posts, but theyre from like years ago--
Ummm... I'm a recovering trail runner. I used to run ultras from 50k to 100miles. mid-90s through early 2000s.... Ran out of time to train, kids got older, etc. I mostly hike now - easier on the body. However, I'm thinking about running a short race next year like the LA Marathon. I am currently still in charge of the Newcomb Saddle Aid Station at the Angeles Crest 100. FWIW.
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

everyday wrote: Thats only 4 miles well, 8.4 roundtrip.., im not driving 90 minutes to run only 4 miles, lol...now, if theres a good hike added to it, thats different... I havent been to mnt baldy before. It looks cool in pics though, and hiking to top looks cool. :D
You're missing out. You need to get yourself to Baldy and hike it asap. By the way, I know others have probably seen this as well but Backpacker magazine did an interesting article recently on the benefits of backpacking over even running. Seeing as I like going slow over running, and hiking in the mountains, I took quite a bit of comfort in that article.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Well, i do both really. I hav a backpack if im going more than 10 miles. I hike the first couple miles to warm up, then run a few miles, then jog or walk again when tired...I dont run for my health or to race. I run simply because I like going faster, to me it's just fun. I get bored and ancy with to much walking i like to stretch my legs a lil. so i run. And, its a great way to get away from other people on the trail after passing em. I like to keep distance between myself and groups of hikers so I dont have to hear their incessant yapping. if i wanna hear "blah-blah-blah..hehehe, oh and then SHE said....." all freakin day id go to the shopping mall. :roll: Running ensures my happy quiet time and gets me farther out in the desert or mtns than most other hikers. to have some peace n quiet is 70% of why i go out there instead of running in town.

__Oh, and im going out that way in a few weeks, toward Baldy i mean :)
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Trail runner / scrambler here - used to enjoy Arroyo Seco before the Station Fire. Run a few ultras. Some good local races on dirt (shorter distance = Baldy Run 2 Top, Mt Wilson Trail Race, Lasse Viren in SM Mountains). Rose Bowl is local so I hit side dirt trails instead of pavement --- Hahamongna and South Arroyo by the channel. Much prefer getting off the pavement whenever I can. Powerhike the steeps and run as much of the flats and downhill as I can. Love the vibe of trail running community. Low key. -- Where's my headlamp!? :D

Check out So Cal Daybreakers (Claremont area) and Glendora Ridge Runners -- running clubs (free) that do a lot of stuff on trails. Also Foothill Flyers in the SG Valley area (road and trail)

http://glendoraridgerunners.blogspot.com/

http://www.foothillflyers.org/
everyday

Post by everyday »

Sweet, thanx! :D