Trail Maintenance - West Fork

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Passing this along from Richard Nyerges. I love the West Fork and I would be there if I weren't still working every day in the Sierra foothills...

Hi Everyone,

On March 26th we will be heading into the West Fork area of the Angeles from Red Box to do much needed work on a portion of the Gabrieleno Trail.

We will be meeting on Angeles Crest Highway just north of the 210 Freeway in La Canada @ 7:45am. From there we will be driving around to Big Tujunga and up to Angeles Forest Highway, back to Angeles Crest Highway and then east to Red Box. For those coming from points farther west, if you wish, you can meet us along Big Tujunga Road at the entrance to Wildwood Picnic area. There is a gate at the road going down to Wildwood and I'm not sure whether or not the sign was burnt during the Station Fire. But if you look and a map you should be able to location Wildwood about 5 miles up Big T. I figure we should be driving by there near 8:30am so I suggest you meet there by 8:15am so as not to miss us. If we drive by and we see no one, we will NOT be stopping. If you think you have missed us, drive on up top Red Box.

Everyone needs to be wearing good boots or work shoes. 8' high is recommended but not mandatory. NO TENNIS SHOES!!! Wear long sleeves and long pants. Everyone needs to bring their lunch and water. If you have them, safety glasses and a hard hat. I believe the FS will be providing hard hats. Gloves are needed as well. I have some but everyone should be bringing their own.

We must start following the guideline outlined by the FS. If someone is injured and not dressed properly, you may have a problem getting the FS to take care of the bills.

For those who do not know, under my agreement with the FS, if anything happens to you, all medical is covered under our agreement. So lets not take chances and be prepared.

I have included a JOB HAZARD ANALYSIS (JHA) attachment (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kM4 ... y=CKCP-aEK) Please take a moment to read over it. We will do a short tailgate safety meeting before we head out but this form needs to be read and I will get everyone signature before we head out noting that you have read the JHA. If you have questions, regarding the JHA, ask them at the tailgate meeting. This is required when working in burn areas, notably... The Station Fire Area.

I have been told that there is a minor slide on the road to West Fork. We should be able to clear it with rock bars and shovels. There is one 12" tree across the road as well. We may be able to move it or we'll cut it off. Beyond West Fork I have not heard what that section of road is like. We will be driving to the Gabrielino Trail about 1 - 2 miles past West Fork. We will be behind locked gates.

We will be working on the trail between Newcomb Pass down to Devore Camp. There is sluff, brushing and more than likely trees down on the trail. I have 2 cross cut saws as well as other tools we will be needing. If any of you have saw you want to bring along, feel free to do so. Axes & shovels if you have them as well.

In order to get into the West Fork area, high clearance and trucks are recommended. So those of you with said vehicles will be most welcomed.

Once again, Clif Bar has provided protein bars for us again.

If you have any questions, please ask.

If you will be joining us, please let me know ASAP so I can get a head count and make sure I have plenty of tools.

One last thing, the extended weather forecast is for rain next Thursday thru Sunday. if this is indeed what we get and it has been raining on Thursday & Friday, then this outing WILL BE CANCELED!!! This is for safety reasons and if it is raining, the roads into the forest will be closed anyway.

Thanks for you commitment to helping keep our forest hike-able for those visitors we might never meet.

Richard
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the notice Greg. I so wanted to go on this but can't - aargh.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

"This event is canceled.
The rain tonight and more expect Saturday.
I'm not going to try to second guess the weather.

I hope to see all of you on California Trails Day when we will try once again to get the work done.

Remember. April 16th is California Trails Day.
All the volunteer groups will be working out of Red Box.
After we are done, around 1:00pm, the Forest Service is providing lunch for everyone in attendance.

I look forward to seeing everyone then.

Thanks again for all of your support.
Richard"