Baldy, 3/15.

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

I figured that since my sleep schedule of late has been pretty screwy (staying up until morning, sleeping until afternoon; the curious habits of the unemployed), and having no excuse not to, I would head out and hit Baldy yesterday. Staying up late = alpine start, right?

I packed everything I needed to go do one of the more technical chutes in the west bowl, then promptly converted it all to dead weight once I got on trail and decided to switch plans and try Register Ridge.

RR is clear to above 8000, then it's just patchy until you join DBB. Snow was soft, with good boot traction; no crust or ice until you get to some thin or shady spots, then you might bottom out into the old icy layer once in a while. Nothing sketchy, I was able to forgo crampons all the way to the summit and back. Temps were warm, it was sunny and blowing a steady 20-30 up top.

I saw two pairs of climbers coming up the bowl when I got up on the 'bone, but I don't know anyone so I can't really say who they were. Saw another guy at the hut with a cool dog, then another couple pairs of hikers on the SHT on the way down.

I took exactly 3 pictures.

Here's the bowl yesterday:

Everyone else seems to take pictures of poop, so here's this I guess:
AKA "OMG WORST COFFEE EVER"

Hero picture:
I only took this to look cool on facebook. I traversed/downclimbed into the bowl to do a chute so I wouldn't feel like I wasted time and energy hauling gear up. But it ended up doable without crampons and even the tools were overkill, so it just felt contrived.

Best part of the day was glissading down the entire west bowl. How come I wasn't informed earlier about how much fun that is?
everyday

Post by everyday »

Nice pics!! I hope I can get snow gear someday so i can go do more stuff in the winter :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Any day on the mountain (without injury) is a good day.

On the other hand, we could use a little snow.

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Any day on the mountain (without injury) is a good day.

HJ
It's over, Jim. It's all over.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote:

HJ
It's over, Jim. It's all over.
:cry: :cry: :cry: Dude, don't talk like that.

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Well it's the truth anyway. Winter is no longer "in", in climber's jargon. Its useful time has ended, more snow or not.

There was plenty to be had by those who were able to get out enough.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

HJ
Indeed, on both counts.
Taco wrote:It's over, Jim. It's all over.
No, no, no, you're all wrong. Next two weekends are forecast for rain. And according to the Eispiraten Weather Almanac, that means 3000' snow levels, accumulation and consolidation, and the Falls freezing, regardless of ambient air temp.

BTW, there were 3 Eispiraten stickers in the register box when I started, and just one when I finished. So I took it.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yep, we should get more this week, but I don't think the weather will favor the right freezing patterns.

NF of Baldy should be in for a while though. :-) HINT HINT HINT 8)
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Taco wrote: Yep, we should get more this week, but I don't think the weather will favor the right freezing patterns.

What about Snow Creek? I feel like the season is slipping away, but we're supposed to get a little snow here and there, which seems like it would be just enough to be annoying on the way up/give slight concern for avalance danger.

http://www.socalweather.net/
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

Good to see a tr from you Bert! =D
norma r

Post by norma r »

:D Nice to hear from you Bert! Yep, RR will pretty much be all summer trail in a week or so. I wish some measurable snow would still drop, but it seems the most significant thing about this winter is to remind us just how great last winter was.

not to pour salt on a wound, but here is a pic from 3/25/10. quite a diff from now.
p.s. Sam Page is one of the little dots down low in the center bowl
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Taco wrote: Yep, we should get more this week, but I don't think the weather will favor the right freezing patterns.

Sounds rad, hopefully after the next system (or two?) passes through and consolidates.