Bailey Canyon to Hastings Peak

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Augie

Post by Augie »

I haven't been able to get out the past few weekends for full day hikes, but I managed to steal a couple of hours yesterday and did a trail run up Bailey Canyon to Hastings Peak (8 miles, 3,000 feet of gain round trip). It was a gorgeous day to be out.

On the return, I dropped into the canyon bottom near the old cabin foundation. I explored a little up canyon since I'd never been in that part of the canyon. Then just for fun I went downstream to the first waterfall where you have to rappel. I dodged lots of poison oak and was accompanied by lots of gnats.

For those of you who aren't familiar with it, Bailey Canyon is a great running trail; not too steep and shaded in part. I did take a few walking breaks on the ascent.
Terry Morse

Post by Terry Morse »

Did you run into "Hiker Bob", the old guy that maintains the trail? When I met him, he said that the cabin foundation was from a cabin that he & his friends built when he was a kid. They hauled the cement and wood up there and built it as sort of a clubhouse. I think he said this was around World War 2.
He also maintains the trail to Hastings and up to the Mt. Wilson Rd., and the connector trail down into Little Santa Anita Canyon. Quite a guy.
Augie

Post by Augie »

I didn't run into him this time, but I have several times in the past. In addition to the stuff you mentioned, he also told me he and his buddy constructed the flagpole with American flag that used to be on Hastings Peak. Anyone know why the pole was taken down?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Augie wrote:I didn't run into him this time, but I have several times in the past. In addition to the stuff you mentioned, he also told me he and his buddy constructed the flagpole with American flag that used to be on Hastings Peak. Anyone know why the pole was taken down?
The last time I saw a flag up there was in November and it was completely shredded by the wind - just a few threads left holding it together. A few weeks ago the pole it is usually tied to was almost completely dismantled, only a relatively short piece left sticking out of the ground. Another hiker came by as I was resting on the peak and he seemed to think someone was taking them down, but I said that it was most likely the wind. Historically the flags don't last more than 3 to 6 months it seems, gradually destroyed by the wind. I didn't see a register either - I hope someone isn't swiping flags as well as registers now.

I first saw the flag from my house in late 2004 or early 2005 (I forget), and soon after that I ran into Hiker Bob on my first time up the trail and he told me he had put the flag up. At the time he was doing a little trail maintenance on the ridge portion of the trail. I haven't seen him since March of 2006.
Terry Morse

Post by Terry Morse »

Has anybody seen Hiker Bob recently? Is he still around? I know he was pretty old........maybe 80?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Dan Simpson has a photo of "Hiker Bob" Annas...

He passed away January 14th, 2008 according to this article.
Robert Fred Annas
ANNAS-Robert Fred Annas, affectionately known as "Hiker Bob", was born October 29, 1927 in Sierra Madre, California. He passed away January 14, 2008 at his home in Arcadia, California after a 15 month long bout with cancer. Robert is survived by his wife of 51 years, Carolyn, sister Lisette, brother Willie and his boys, John, Andy, Eric and Rob Nielsen, as well as his daughter Cindy Nielsen. Robert, who loved kids, is survived by 9 grandch ildren and 3 great grandchildren, and many cousins, nieces and nephews. Robert served in the U.S. Navy from 1945-1947 aboard the U.S.S. Lexington. After that, he attended the University of Arizona in Tucson. Upon graduation he returned to the San Gabriel Valley. Robert loved his family, wife and friends. Roberts' passions included boating, waterskiing and in recent times , hiking in the San Gabriel Mountains. He is loved and missed by many. In Lieu of flowers, family requests contributions be made in his na me to the American Red Cross or the Leukemia /Lymphoma Society. Our family also extends our thanks to all those that took time to give blood. Funeral Service to be held at Chapel of Remembrance Funeral Home 500 S. First Ave. Arcadia, CA. 91006, on Friday January 18, 2008 at 10:00am. Interment will follow at Riverside National Cemetery. E-mail condolences to www.ourfuneralservice.com. ARCADIA CHAPEL OF REMEMBRANCE FUNERAL HOME. (626) 447-8148.
Published in the Pasadena Star-News from 1/16/2008 - 1/17/2008.
I feel privileged to have met him.
Augie

Post by Augie »

How sad. Thanks for the info HikeUp. I to feel privileged to have met him. Funny how the flow of commentary can go. I posted just about my trail run, someone asked if I'd seen Hiker Bob, and next thing you know we all find out he died. Bailey Canyon won't be the same without him.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Yes I probably should have posted elsewhere, but when I started my last post all I intended to do was post his picture as a point of interest, then as an afterthought I googled his name and found the sad news, so i just tacked it on to the end of the post.

Every time I've hiked up Bailey Canyon I've thought of Bob and always hoped I would run into him. On my last hike up there I had not run into him for about 2 years and was beginning to wonder how his health was. The trail he so meticulously maintained and improved has and will always be one of my favorite, if not the favorite. I can't help but think a memorial of some sort might be appropriate on top of Hasting's Peak and wonder if there are current plans for one.

To get back to your original post, I might have to respectfully disagree with your assertion that the trail isn't too steep :D I think 750' per mile is plenty steep, especially for running!
Terry Morse

Post by Terry Morse »

It was about 2 years ago when I met him. Sounds like his cancer came on soon after that. He was very proud of the work he did up there and especially about the connector trail he made down into Little Santa Anita Canyon. I hope there is some kind of memorial erected on Hastings. That would be very appropriate, but I wonder if the FS would allow that.