Village to Village

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
dhstein31

Post by dhstein31 »

Started hiking the Acorn Trail in Wrightwood today just after 10:00 AM. Snow started just above the trailhead and as a precaution I put my crampons on early. My hiking P did not put his on until the Blue Ridge. Below the Blue Ridge probably 80% snow coverage with last weekend's snow helping the crampons with purchase ...... in some places a good 1 inch of soft snow over top of a foot or so of ice. In the more exposed areas it became somewhat icey but not a BUTT PUCKER..

Saw a few footprints both human, dog and snowshoe up to the PCT and
none after that.

Summited Pine about 1:00 and Dawson around 2:00 and Baldy around 4:00. The Backbone is actually a little easier to hike in the winter w/ a much broader base. Only saw one small Avy debris zone --- which surprised me with Mt Hi's avy deaths earlier this winter. Had the crampons on the entire way except for the South Face of Dawson. The snow was actually easier to navagate then fighting iwth the summer rabbit brush.

The climb up from Dawson saddle was very steep and in places was icey like San Gorgonio last week - but the ice was not nearly as bullet proof.

Saw only three people on the summit and had a nice chat. Descended via Bear Flats trail. I was surprised that there was hardly any track - except for skiers coming off of West Baldy. It seemed that most of the recent traffic turned around at the 8500 ft make where the trail takes a North Face. We did take our crampons off at this point and had to navigate around a few snow fields but the snow was very soft on that side of the mountain. Got to the Baldy Lodge just after 7:00.

By FAR my favorite way to summit Baldy ---- 3rd time to do VtoV and the first time in the SNOW!

Great day in the wildlands!

D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Awesome trip...nice job. Thanks for the beta on conditions.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

That sounds like a great trip. Lots of driving to set up the shuttle!!! Do you have any estimate on the mileage and gain????