Kickass Singletrack

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I've just started using two wheels to go down dirt hills really fast, and my buddy who's doing it with me and I are looking for some cool singletrack. I've hiked the Garcia Trail or whatever that connects turn 1 on GMR to just west the saddle (where GMR/GRR meet), but apparently that one is badass.

I've also heard the Claremont Hills is real good, and I can see a lot of cool routes on Google Earth with that. I've hiked there before, no bike yet though.

Post by 406 »

Cool, mt biking is really fun. Check out:
http://www.mountainbikebill.com/

San Juan trail is southern OC is a nice long fast beginner trail. The ride up is fun also, with lots of tight switch backs.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

406, thanks! That sounds and looks like a great trail. Also, great site!
Gozerian138

Post by Gozerian138 »

Claremont Hills and down into Marshall Canyon is fu-un. Not too much single track in the Claremont Hills proper, but Marshall Canyon or Webb Canyon have excellent single track. Highly recommended if you have not done these. Short car shuttle would be required, or you can reverse the course and ride back (or ride back on the streets, but who wants to do that??).
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Thanks dude! I might tackle that this sunday with my buddy.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Taco, be careful out there in Marshall Canyon. There are lots of horses and hikers on the same trails on the weekends.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Will do, I'm real slow and cautious, so I'll do my best to not piss off anyone. ;-)
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

A few years ago I saw 2 mountain bikers riding down the bear canyon trail. I think you should give that a try Taco.

Image :D

Post by 406 »

hvydrt wrote: A few years ago I saw 2 mountain bikers riding down the bear canyon trail. I think you should give that a try Taco.
In my opinion it is the best ~legal mtb trail in SoCal. Very, very technical and only would suggest for advanced bikers, unless you want to hike your bike most of the way.
However, it will soon be in Wilderness ( and parts of the Devils Backbone ) and closed to bikes. Not sure the status of the Wilderness expansion, I tried to get several bikers to write the Congressman sponsoring to adjust the boundaries not to include the trail.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That's what I was thinking. I didn't know if it was within bounds for wilderness reg's.
obie

Post by obie »

However, it will soon be in Wilderness ( and parts of the Devils Backbone ) and closed to bikes.

Oh no!

yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

obie

Post by obie »

Wow, that video was excellent. Thanks yobtaf!!
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

this is some single track but you need to goto Chile... :shock:

When I click it, it starts in the middle. You need to watch from the beginning.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

DUDE that was RAD!

Who's stupid dog was that? Who the hell leaves their dog off-leash during a friggin' MTB race?!?!

That looks like so much damn fun!
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

that was sick. At the end it looks like he is wearing a pinstriped suit? Some of those transfer jumps were crazy :shock: And yes the dog off the leash was nuts. There is another one I saw that was in I think mexico and the race went through someones house.
ah here it is

also check out red bull metro ride and the race through a gold mine 8)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That was bad ass!
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

There are quite a few loops in Turbull Canyon that are popular mt bike locations. I spent a bit of time hiking the main trails in that area, and always see mtb'ers.

Also powder canyon / schabarrum park loop I did a while back that was almost 11 miles is legal to mtb and would be a fun ride, I also often see mtb'ers on those trails.

I think I saw that you live in La Puente which is where I live so they should be really close and easy to get too. Turbull canyon is like 15 min drive on the streets, and shabarrum/powder is like 15 minutes streets too.

You could also head up to big bear when the snow melts and do pine knott to grand view point via mtb, its like a 7 miler round trip starting at pine knott. There are lots of other trails up in big bear too.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I go to Turnbull and Powder Cyn often now. They're a lot of fun.

Big Bear is coming up. Hope to do a trip with some buddies, grab a cabin and all that.