Register Ridge: mixed bag of tricks

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Calicokat (Jim) and i did a hike up Register Ridge to Mt. Harwood and Baldy on the 'spiked heels of So.BayMark yesterday. We found RR below 8k weak in snow. We began in boots and before i knew it, i was front kicking steps from the snow that already had two days of melt/freeze. Below 8k it was hard snow, soft snow, hard & loose crappy dirt and even some ice. I called it a mixed bag of tricks. Above 8k the white stuff was consistant... consistantly changing from hard snow, to soft snow, to ice to both! Maybe microspikes would have been the preferred mode of transportation but i don't own them. Instead Jim and i booted it for a while, then switched to 'pons, choose snowshoes to finish out RR, then 'pons again to 'send Baldy and snowshoes again for the descent. The change-outs were time consuming, but not post-holing was better. I would not have wanted to decend the bowl in mirospikes or 'pons since the snow was soft and deep. I have done it before, but my legs were still worked from my snowshoe of Baden-Powell two days before.

:D The highlight of the day was the beautiful cloud formations from the small systems that blew through. Of note: Jim pushed his pole deep enough into the snow from this weekend to hit the ice from the melt-out from the last two months. Be aware! Baldy is not going to have the lengthy season it had last year and i have a feeling this is a good as it's gonna' get. :(

View south from RR

Icy Mt. Harwood slope

Saw two hikers ascending Zen Chute. Possibly Michaetb??

Enjoying the patterns formed by wind with Darth Vader

On final ascent

Descending the bowl in soft snow

Leaving the mountain with a puffy aura

rest of my pix are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma ... rRidge3111#
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

BEAUTIFUL pics.

HJ
norma r

Post by norma r »

Jim, what kind of trees are the three (living) ones i snapped on Register Ridge? i really want to learn to identify them all. thanks, norma
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Great pics Norma, how are you able to get out so much? I'm jealous-the-kid.
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Nice pix Norma! I think we may have a little more snow coming in our future. At least I'm hoping...
simonov

Post by simonov »

Aren't you guys worried about avalanches in the Bowl so soon after new snow over old crap?

We were all set to go up tomorrow, but saw the storm report.
Nunc est bibendum
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy Norma :)

Wow, wow and wow!!! Thanks so much for the pictures and trip report.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

Nice Norma....always enjoy your pictures....like these mid week hikes wish i could do more...

mark
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Thanks very much for posting these!

A few other cool ones I liked from your album...

Nice...

You're right, that's sweet...

You see a sweet heart, but as man, if i twist my head just a little, I somehow manage to see a pork chop :wink:
norma r

Post by norma r »

LOL! pork chop. whatever brines your swine! :wink:
Augie

Post by Augie »

Beautiful pics, great narrative on TR. Like that rather poetic comment about seeing pork chops rather than hearts (lol).

I was up there yesterday introducing a friend to the Baldy area and we went partway up RegRidge; almost completely dry altho there were snow patches here and there. Let's hope for another big dump."