My Favorite Morning Walk

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

Started on trail at 4:35am today took R/R to Harwood(8:10) to
Baldy(9:17) down main chute..Met "michaetb" from this board at the hut..
Mirco spikes all day today, a few post holeing here and there to the knees.
28 at harwood and 26 at baldy and a warm 45 at the ski hut(10:20) with cloud cover.. most of the day was easy walking on a good crust, firm snow after saddle and rockband...

mark
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5798 ... t=outdoors
obie

Post by obie »

thanks for the pics!
michaetb

Post by michaetb »

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the picture!

I hope to see you on the trail again but I'm not sure if I could do 4:30am...
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice work Mark - R/R is becoming your trail - Picture say it all :) :D
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Nice pics, and respect on the early start.

Do you find yourself getting creeped out in the dark all alone in the mountains?
norma r

Post by norma r »

Hi Mark! we were following your tracks! good job! we prob started closer to 7am. i thought RR kinda' sucked tho. was disappointed in the lack of snow below 8k. we ran into Michaetb back at the car where he was stuck behind my parked car. his tires were spinning when he tried to back up and he slid forward within inches of my back bumper and tow hitch. that would have hurt! he couldn't leave until i pulled out. that's one way to meet a board member :wink:
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Nice Pix Mark!
longcut

Post by longcut »

Wow Register to Baldy and down the bowl, with Microspikes? Not advisable for us rookies I guess. Great pics, I've been dying to do that route but I figured I would need crampons. Thanks for posting the TR, loved it.
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

Thanks all..
patrick owe you some chocolate chip cookies and a hike..

burchey,at night i dont get creeped out, it's the beauty and quietness of night, whole different world.. but every time i go at night mountain lions and bears are on my mind, what if one comes at me, well i'll just stab him with my hiking pole tip as he is lungeing at me and place the handle on the ground so it goes through him, just like in the movies!.. you have time to think weird stuff..

norma, I laughed at myself, hiking R/R towards the 2nd half and looking back at my tracks and thinking I hope nobody follows mine, i didn't take the most direct route up( i thought so) :D
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

So.BayMark wrote: but every time i go at night mountain lions and bears are on my mind, what if one comes at me, well i'll just stab him with my hiking pole tip as he is lungeing at me and place the handle on the ground so it goes through him, just like in the movies!
A la Anthony Hopkins in The Edge--classic! :lol:

If all else fails Mark, just give the critter a good whack with that big ol' industrial thermometer you haul around! :P
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Dave G wrote:
So.BayMark wrote: but every time i go at night mountain lions and bears are on my mind, what if one comes at me, well i'll just stab him with my hiking pole tip as he is lungeing at me and place the handle on the ground so it goes through him, just like in the movies!
A la Anthony Hopkins in The Edge--classic! :lol:

If all else fails Mark, just give the critter a good whack with that big ol' industrial thermometer you haul around! :P
You guys rule, I'm sure a lot of us have those thoughts...I once attempted a snowy summit up in Oregon on a whim in total darkness, had a Sog diving knife strapped to me, like that was going to help out with a Bear or rutting Elk. Strange how it makes you feel a little better, though.

On a serious note, this new ice axe I picked up is gnarly! I'd hate for someone to hit me with it, I'm sure it would be useful to defend yourself if you weren't totally caught off-guard. Them mountain lions be sneaky!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I just carry my 12ga with me for them bears and big cats. I don't have to use it... usually...

BRB mountain lion steaks
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Taco wrote: I just carry my 12ga with me for them bears and big cats. I don't have to use it... usually...

BRB mountain lion steaks
Did you get the add-on longer barrel for weight-struggle?

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Rigged correctly, it can double as an ice axe.

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Speaking of that, the Gebirgsjager (German WWII Alpine Infantry) had special buttplates on their Mauser G33/40's for use as an Alpenstock of sorts.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =210818224