Monrovia Peak via Clamshell Firebreak

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
GreenMountainBoy

Post by GreenMountainBoy »

I'll be honest, a month ago I hadn't heard of Monrovia Peak. I was looking for something new and was intrigued when I saw this on someone's top-10 most difficult climbs in SoCal list. Granted this is super subjective, Monrovia was 8 or 9 I can't remember and the remaining climbs seemed reasonable so I took the writer at his word.

That said, I knew not to underestimate this "little" guy and prepared accordingly. I found the ridge to Clamshell as advertised, steep and loose. Despite no snow at this low elevation I was glad I brought along the Katoolahs for this bit as the extra traction was appreciated. I continued following the ridge to Clamshell and enjoyed a quick breather. Descending the couple hundred feet after Clamshell I knew I would be cursing this stretch on the descent. From this section, the climb ascends the north facing slope of a large (name?) canyon, that held the snowpack well. I found loads of bear activity here, lots of tracks and scat...seems early, but it was undeniable.

Snowpack remained decent above 4000' as I ascended steep firebreaks to Rankin Peak, unknown Peak (between Rankin & Monrovia, anyone know if it is named?) and finally Monrovia. Terrific views of the entire Angeles Crest, San G & San J on a nice clear day. Plenty of gain mixed in on the steep descent, plus a lot of patience for all the downed trees and brush. Round trip, 12 mi and 5200' gain.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Sounds like a pretty cool hike. I was checking out Monrovia and Rankin from Hastings Peak recently. On my list
GreenMountainBoy wrote: I found loads of bear activity here, lots of tracks and scat...seems early, but it was undeniable.
Bears this far south pretty much don't hibernate, so bear activity is quite normal any time of the year.

HJ
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

Great info. Were there any particular tough portions of the hike that one should watch out for? I imagine your return down that Clamshell ridge was a barrel of fun.
GreenMountainBoy

You're exactly right, the descent from Clamshell (particularly the last 1/4 mi to the firebreak) requires some concentration. Simply due to the steep, loose slope and how tired your legs are at this point. Microspikes, equally effective for dirt and scree are very helpful here.

There isn't any real exposure to worry about but a rocky glissade here wouldn't feel very good.
spotfin

Post by spotfin »

I did this hike on 2/15/11 and added a little variation. On the return I took the .red box trail west via Spring Camp. This added a few miles and my total for the day came to 16.7 M. I really liked the ridge going up to clamshell peak. There was light rain when I went up and the smells of sage and other plants was intoxicating.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

I was last up at Monrovia/Rankin Peaks in 2007, I went up the fire road from Monrovia Park, I seem to remember something about the area being closed on certain days because of the local Police Department using the firing range, do not know if thats still the case today.

Phil
GreenMountainBoy

interesting is that why the fire dept has it closed? being federal land I would find this odd at the least...