R/R to Summit down main 2-21-11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

Did register ridge to summit down main bowl today.. had a good work out today...

mark

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5798 ... t=outdoors
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Very nice work Mark, how were conditions going up the ridge? Icy? Post holing?

Did you enjoy the honorary cookies on the summit?

Pictures were very nice :D
calicokat

Post by calicokat »

Great looking photos. How was the road. Drivable without chains perhaps. Looking to go up Wednesday if anyone else is interested
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Hey Mark, I was on RR today, too! I never thought to look for you during daylight hours. :lol: I got a late start and shortly after I topped out on Harwood, the wind kicked up the clouds started rolling in, reducing the visability to about one trekking pole length. So I bailed on summiting Baldy and headed down the NE bowl. Of course once I got to the Ski Hut, it was clear as a bell.
It was a bit nipply on Harwod (if you believe that wind chill stuff).
Which prolly explains what happened to the secret surveillance equipment
And the solar panel

Sorry I missed ya! (sorry too, for hijacking your TR!:lol:)
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Dave G wrote: (if you believe that wind chill stuff).
Whats the gadget in the picture? Does it give wind speeds???
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

hvydrt wrote:
Dave G wrote: (if you believe that wind chill stuff).
What the gadget in the picture? Does it give wind speeds???
Yeah, it's an anemometer/thermometer. New toy--I thought it might be cool sometimes to confirm my (at least the weather-related type) suffering.
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

Hey patrick, two people were ahead of me on the ridge so I didnt have to break trail,I met them part way up changeing to crampons thats when i put my mircos on(it was a last mintue thing,changeing my mind to do the
ridge) there were some icey spots but you can go around them, the 2 guys were coming down from hardwood when i was 3/4 the way up
..just some postholeing today, not bad at all..mircos all day today-didn't bring crampons..

Dave..thats alot smaller and does more then my thermometer :lol: when i got to the summit at 11:35, I wanted to know what the temp was but I said to myself I be damed if i'm taking my pack off and wait to see what the temp is, the two guys I met on top we took pictures and got out of there..... started on trail at 7:02(thats am)...jose and I were 3/4 the way down the bowl when the clouds hit us(12:20)...thanks for the pictures dave I thought of taging harwood but I wanted to get to baldy..

calico...the road was bone dry this morning...
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Great pix Mark! One of these days I want to get up RR with you.. still haven't taken that route.

If you're interested in heading out on another hike, we're getting out to Sespe on Wednesday, super early AM. Itll be an all day event, prob 20+ mi. Send me a PM if you're interested.
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice TR, Mark/Dave.
Conditions look great!
:D
James

Post by James »

Nice photos Mark. How was the main bowl on the way down?
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

Hi james, the snow was very soft, at the lip I was able to plant my feet in joses boot print but a ways farther down I had to make my own print as the snow was just giving way, after the rock croping I had a nice smooth glacide down, infact I wish I would have started the glacide sooner...

mark