Amgen Tour of California

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Amgen announced more details about the Mt. Baldy stage. The full route description is here:

http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/Ro ... tage7.html

The finish is described as follows:
At Ice House Canyon, the route makes a hard left turn and the sign to the ski area points towards the sky. Over the next 2.5 miles, the riders will face 10 switchbacks on a road that is so steep that many of the race vehicles cannot make it to the top. At 1.2 miles to go, the road straightens out. The finish line can be seen ahead. At .25 miles to go, the route makes a hard left and the racers face a final five switchbacks to the finish line. This will be the stage where legends are made and winners are decided.
I assume that the final 5 switchbacks are the ski lift parking area with the finish at the very base of the ski lifts. Does this sound correct?
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

think so. I can attest to the pain inflicted going up those switchbacks to Manker via bicycle. but not sure how "road vehicles" wouldn't make it up??
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

wrote: think so. I can attest to the pain inflicted going up those switchbacks to Manker via bicycle. but not sure how "road vehicles" wouldn't make it up??
Ice/snow + Angelenos.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

RichardK wrote: I assume that the final 5 switchbacks are the ski lift parking area with the finish at the very base of the ski lifts. Does this sound correct?
It does. The profile says the finish is at around 6400', which is close to the base of the lifts.

Good workout. Anyone who gets too tired can quit at Heaton Flat and hike up Iron Mt. instead. :twisted: