ultralight first aid kit?

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

So on my blog, I am developing a list of ultralight first aid/emergency stuff for looooong day hikes. Here's what I've got:

Antiseptic wipes
Antibacterial ointment
Assorted band-aids
Butterfly band-aids
Gauze
Medical tape
Moleskin
Ibuprofen
Insect sting treatment
Benadryl
Nail clippers with knife tool
First aid manual
Cotton balls
A few salt packets
A few sugar packets
Whistle
Signal mirror
Duct tape (I put this on my trekking poles)
1 or 2 ziploc bags
Emergency heat blanket
Fire provision (flint, lighter, etc…)
Toilet Paper/Kleenex packet

I keep duct tape on my trekking poles and I have a whistle on my backpack's sternum strap. Are there any other things I should have on this checklist or anything that can have dual use? Just trying to think of ways of reducing weight while maintaining a thorough kit.
norma r

Post by norma r »

few thoughts: make sure the signal mirror is protected from being rubbed. mine is so scratched from friction that i can no longer see through the hole. i also carry 4x4 pads, though maybe that is what you refer to as gauze. i also carry a pair of chemical hand warmers, a body warmer and eye drops. plus a few Excedrin, ibuprofen, immodium and a Gu. when i had an unplanned bivy i found out the space blanket i carried was a waste. it shredded into tinsel before the night was over from my shivering. i now carry a bivy sack (orange on the outside) that i bought from REI. the fire-starter i used on that bivy was imitation cotton pads i covered in petroleum jelly. the fire it started saved my toes from frostbite. a few iodine and neutralizer tablets might be a good idea. like you i wear my whistle and have duct tape on my poles.

my emerg kit weighs about 2 lbs. heavier than i'd like but there is nothing i want to eliminate.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

thanks norma, that's good stuff. i'm gonna look into getting the REI minimalist. i'd never really considered it til now.

my coworker, tony, said he knows you, by the way, and says hey. i forget how your name came up, maybe youre in the same climbing club or something.
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

This is not directed at your list or normas (which both are very good :) ) My comment is more on the whole basis of why the kit is put together,for health and safety right?Shouldnt skimp on that in any way :)

I am all for a lightweight minimalist setup,but what is the main objective about going lightweight on medical and emergency kit?Regardless if its a 5 mile hike or a 7 day mission.Is saving a lb or two really worth it when it comes to safety and health?

First aid/emergency kit is very important and critical especially being outdoors,an extra lb or two of kit is well worth it if something does happen dont you think?As we all know,things do happen in a blink of an eye regardless of experience or skill.Perhaps it is best to be safe than sorry as the old saying goes?

If you have ever been in an emergency situation helping others or yourself.You know how critical it is to have a variety of kit in that emergency bag.From helping someone else with a minor cut to severe trauma,to hypothermic bivys etc etc

just playing sort of devils advocate as this is a good topic to discuss
norma r

Post by norma r »

MattCav wrote: my coworker, tony, said he knows you, by the way, and says hey. i forget how your name came up, maybe youre in the same climbing club or something.
say Hey! back from me and... Alpamayo! :D

forgot to mention i also have some of that rubberized ace bandage-like tape in my kit and i have used it.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Like most folks, I carry a first aid kit when hiking. However, what I am really concerned about is screwing up an ankle or knee and having to hobble back to the trailhead for what could be many miles. So, I also take 2 SAM splints and 3 rolls of adhesive tape. If I needed to immobilize a joint, I could do it. Hiking poles would double as crutches.

I also take a Saywer snake bite kit. I have asked on other boards if anyone has ever actually needed to use one. Apparently, no one has. The effectiveness of the suction approach is not clear, but I figure that it is better than nothing especially if some time would pass before you could get to a hospital.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Good thread. Mind if I sticky it and move it to Gear, or would you like to keep it here Matt?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

RichardK wrote: I also take a Saywer snake bite kit. I have asked on other boards if anyone has ever actually needed to use one. Apparently, no one has. The effectiveness of the suction approach is not clear, but I figure that it is better than nothing especially if some time would pass before you could get to a hospital.
I took a Wilderness First Aid course a couple of years ago. In the course, they said that all suction methods are ineffective and that in fact they are likely to cause additional tissue damage, particularly the 1930's style "cut an 'X' and suck" but also more modern things like the Sawyer Extractor.

They're recommendation for rattlesnake bite was evacuation to a facility with antivenin, not a particularly helpful recommendation when your four days from the nearest trailhead, but that was their recommendation.

HJ
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Hey Taco, that's cool. Whatever you think is best.
And everyone else, thanks for the info so far. I'm getting some good ideas here.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Wait, you work with Tony at the REI in Arcadia? Have I seen you before? I was in there tonight...
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Yep, yep. Tony and I work together in the camping/climbing dept at REI Arcadia. He's a good dude. I didn't work yesterday though because I was out at San J.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Maybe I'll seeya one of these days. Sorry to go off-topic.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Definitely say hey if/when you come in. I'm usually there 4 or 5 days a week.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

MattCav wrote: I work ... in the camping/climbing dept at REI Arcadia.
AWESOME. Quick question that's been gnawing at me for years:

What do you guys do with those scale model tents that are on display in the camping section once the specific tents are discontinued? Please tell me I can get one. I *really* want one of those tiny tents. I will beer you from the bottom of my heart.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Gotta put my cat in one. Or a small dog. Then it could be a PUP TENT. OOOOOOOOHHHH zing...
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

A good thing to carry is one or more OB (non-applicator) tampons - no joke. They are small and lightweight and designed to soak up blood. Good for deep tissue and/or large puncture wounds.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

MattCav wrote: Toilet Paper/Kleenex packet
Also known as "Mountain Money"
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

hey bert-
out of all honesty, i think we've had those tents since about 1972. they've been there quite awhile and i don't think we've ever gotten rid of old ones or even gotten new ones in.
however... don't tell anyone... but if you ever wanted to make a guaranteed TON of money, you could start your own little tent company. no exaggeration... i'm asked about those little tents at least 2 or 3 times per week.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Aw, really? They're just the same ones? :(

I just went to the HB store today and they seem like modern models, though I didn't cross reference them to see if they were scale replicas of current stock. Wishful thinking, I guess. Are they educational models, or something?

Hm...I might have to liberate one from there then. But I'm sure it's okay - HB isn't a "serious" REI. :wink:

On topic - I tend to over-pack, so in addition to all of the usual boo-boo bandages, wraps, gauze, etc, I've also have a SAM splint, Celox, big cath, shears, gloves, tourniquet, izzy bandage, for the more serious scenarios.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

PackerGreg wrote: A good thing to carry is one or more OB (non-applicator) tampons - no joke. They are small and lightweight and designed to soak up blood. Good for deep tissue and/or large puncture wounds.
I've heard things to the contrary regarding gunshot wounds.
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

PackerGreg wrote:
MattCav wrote: Toilet Paper/Kleenex packet
Also known as "Mountain Money"
That was funny.