It's lottery time!

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

Who's hoping to do Whitney this year? After missing out on a permit last year, I sent in my request for a party of six in August this year. Good luck to everyone, fingers crossed! :)
QuestforBCM

Post by QuestforBCM »

My buddy and I are doing whitney via the mountaineers rout in mid June and we are doing some research but do we NEED a permit for this trail?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

QuestforBCM wrote: My buddy and I are doing whitney via the mountaineers rout in mid June and we are doing some research but do we NEED a permit for this trail?
I believe you do. For sure you need a permit if you intend to descend via the regular trail.

HJ
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

The rules aren't exactly crystal clear, but I also believe that requires a permit. Go to the Inyo Forest Permit page, link can be found at the Whitney Portal Store page.
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

It's my understanding that any access into the Whitney Zone requires a permit. Other areas around the Whitney Zone are quota areas and the number of folks allowed on the trail is limited thus permits are also required.
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

All trails that go into the Whitney Zone require permits, both day and overnight. Outside the Whitney Zone, permits are only required for overnight. This is only during quota season.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Got denied last year, I think I was too specific with the dates and was looking for an overnight for a party of 4.

This year I scaled back to just 2 of us, and provided dates ranges instead of specifics (i.e. any overnight permit between August 1-6)

Hoping for the best, otherwise we'll likely drive up on a weekday and try to snag some no-show permits. 8)
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

For anyone who's interested, Kurt Wedberg from SMI is giving a slide presentation about Whitney tonight, at the A16 store in West Los Angeles.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

This hit my bank statement on Tuesday:

D C* USFS, INYO NF. 877- 04/04D C* USFS $30.00

YES!!! 8) 8) 8)
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

You lucky bastidge! I struck out again, as did my buddy with all his dates. Looks like a walk up permit is in my future- hopefully.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

awww yeah July 12! woohoo!
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

We (8) are backpacking from Horsewhoe meadows and out at the portal July 13-16, we are sumitting on the last day. Good luck to everyone. Oh and this is a great practice hike for C2C.
droolmonkey

Post by droolmonkey »

I hike up whitney every year starting from mineral king, and just get my normal permits from there for however many comes with me. No whitney specific permit required unless you enter or exit form the whitney portal.
QuestforBCM

Post by QuestforBCM »

Headin up the mountaineers route with 3 buddys june 21st
simonov

Post by simonov »

droolmonkey wrote: I hike up whitney every year starting from mineral king, and just get my normal permits from there for however many comes with me. No whitney specific permit required unless you enter or exit form the whitney portal.
I am aware of a member of this board who is planning to hike the High Sierra Trail from Giant Forest to Whitney Portal this summer.

Hypothetically, supposing this hiker did not bother getting a permit for the Portal, what's the worse that can happen? He or she would be spending the last night at Guitar Lake, would probably summit Whitney around dawn the next day, and would not run into any rangers until already heading down the trail from Trail Crest. Presumably the rangers would send the hiker on his or her way with a stern talking-to. Could the hiker be cited?
Nunc est bibendum
droolmonkey

Post by droolmonkey »

they would be fined. ...in or out of the whitney portal requires a permit. traveling through the whitney high country is fine without the permit. ...if its an emergency though, then obviously it would be more than ok.

we just get a 14 day permit from the ranger station at mineral king, include all camp sites we intend on staying at, start hiking. ...and we have yet to run into a single ranger on any of these trips from the time i started in 2001. im not sure if that helps.