baldy 3-15

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Started out from manker flats at 6am, got to the hut about 7:15, had a snack and I was off. I went up the middle of the bowl. It was more like walking up stairs than walking up a slope from all the foot prints. I got to the summit at about 9. Summit was very cold. The air temp was 20 degrees, but the wind was numbingly cold. Not sure how to figure wind chill, but I would guess it was in the low teens. There was thick cloud cover at about 5000' when I was coming up the bowl. By the time I left the summit the clouds were rising rapidly, and shortly after that the mountain was engulfed in clouds. I met simonov and his hiking partner on the way down (I recognized the vintage ice axe, and asked if he was on the SGM board.)

I found a digital camera on the summit. I was shocked that it actually powered on and worked despite the below freezing temps. I figured I would leave it at the ranger station and post a message on here about it. Just before the parking lot, there was a note held down with a small rock. It was from the person that left the camera on the summit on Thursday. I gave him a call, and left him a message that his camera was found. Still waiting to here back from him.

here are a few pics: http://flickr.com/photos/hvydrt/sets/72 ... 4859/show/
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Awesome photos, Mark!

Why do you guys like the Bowl so much? :twisted:
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

glad I started early. what wrong with the bowl taco??? everyone loves the bowl :D
He219

Post by He219 »

nice shot!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

hvydrt wrote:glad I started early. what wrong with the bowl taco??? everyone loves the bowl :D
It's just that the'res so much more to explore! 8)

Looks like the weather is cooperating with us! I can see snow down rather low from here in the Azusa area.
simonov

Post by simonov »

It was great meeting you, and those are wonderful photos. I'm pissed about my camera's dead battery.

I guess you missed the snowfall on your way out? It was really coming down on us before we made the San Antonio Falls Road.
Nunc est bibendum