Iron Mountain via Heaton Flats Trail

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Started the trail at 9:30 with my gf, was cloudy in and out for the whole day. We were up to Heaton Saddle by 11, although I wasn't 100% sure it was the right saddle as I didn't see much indication of any trails veering of either side to Allison Mines (I forget the name on the other side) but I guess those aren't used much and I didn't really look to hard.

Continued up starting the damn steep portions. I think managing the crumbled rock was more of an issue than the actual grade of the trail. In an hour or so crossed paths with 2 hikers coming down who had left 2 hrs earlier; another first timer, and a 28th timer! We moved on.

Of course this is one of those hikes in which you keep thinking you are close to the peak, but not really - but luckily some of the clouds took away the vision and removed the false hope. Anyways, moved on at a decent clip, although the last mile was surely killer. I'd say I finally slowed down the last 500 ft for sure, although I'm still not inclined to believe that there is 2000 ft just in the last mile, that still seems like a bit much. We had both made it to the peak by 1:10, which I didn't think was too shabby. I am curious to see what time I'd make it alone with less stoppage time.

The trail was in good condition, compared to what I've read about it. Snow was not an issue...there were only 2 points very near the top in which we had to cross some snow, but neither places were in dangerous spots. The one patch is literally 30 m away from the peak.

We sat and ate lunch until 2. I took some time browsing through the log book, noticing that a few weeks ago someone was thanking Ryan aka Taco for getting her to the top! Signed it and headed back down.

I'd have to say this is the first hike that I actually felt any sort of pounding on my legs on the way down. That's part from the grade, part lack of terrain stability, and also probably part muscle fatigue. I don't think either of us was enjoying the last 4 miles down too much! We arrived back at 5.

Definitely most strenuous hike I've done in the San Gabriels, though I'm sure you guys know better ones. I think it is more strenuous than the 2nd day of the Inca Trail as well. However, I could do without the downhill portion. I think I see doing it again but then crossing over to Old Baldy. It almost just seems easier. Hah!

Snow right at the top:

He was hovering over me. Did he think I wouldn't make it?

Up and up
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Congrats to both of ya! Thanks for the TR and pics.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

It's a great hike that's significantly more challenging than the run of the mill. You made good time. :)

When you talk about Heaton Saddle, I assume you're referring to the saddle before the steep stuff starts, right after a bit of downhill. I thought that Heaton Saddle was the one at the top of the first major uphill, a couple of miles from the start. I think that the one at the start of the slog up Iron is called Iron Mountain Saddle, although I've seen it called Allison Saddle as well. You're right about there being only one obviously popular trail out of there.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Trekking poles definitely help keep your joints in shape on the way back down. Looks like you two had a great day out. Cheers!
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

AlanK, you are probably right. I've just seen it referred to Heaton Saddle somewhere (I think Dan's Hiking Page), but by other names (or no names at all) elsewhere. But yeah, its the part where it starts getting damn steep. Can't miss that!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

JMunaretto wrote:AlanK, you are probably right. I've just seen it referred to Heaton Saddle somewhere (I think Dan's Hiking Page), but by other names (or no names at all) elsewhere. But yeah, its the part where it starts getting damn steep. Can't miss that!
Oh, yeah -- We all knew what you meant! :D

Maybe we need a new name for that saddle. "Saddle of pain"?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

>Maybe we need a new name for that saddle. "Saddle of pain"?

Not exactly a recruitment phrase for that peak or is that part of the charm?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

AW wrote:>Maybe we need a new name for that saddle. "Saddle of pain"?

Not exactly a recruitment phrase for that peak or is that part of the charm?
You caught my meaning. It's most of the charm. :)

Actually, I like Iron Mountain. I just thought that "Saddle of Eternal Bliss" would bring too much attention.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

I have the feeling I'll call it Saddle of No Return
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I enjoy referring to it as the "Saddle I'll not like to visit again, but will likely return to if going down that way from a different way up Iron Mountain."

Shortened to... SINLTVABWLRTI ah whatever.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

TacoDelRio wrote:I enjoy referring to it as the "Saddle I'll not like to visit again, but will likely return to if going down that way from a different way up Iron Mountain."

Maybe we could shorten SINLTVABWLRTI to just SIN. The saddle of sin, I kind of like that. Anyone want an apple? :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:I enjoy referring to it as the "Saddle I'll not like to visit again, but will likely return to if going down that way from a different way up Iron Mountain."

Maybe we could shorten SINLTVABWLRTI to just SIN. The saddle of sin, I kind of like that. Anyone want an apple? :twisted:
One of the reasons I like Iron Mountain is that hardly anyone else does it. I have done it several times without seeing another soul..

If we start advertising it as a center of sin, it's popularity is going to go through the ceiling!

How about "Saddle of Virtue"? :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

AlanK wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:

One of the reasons I like Iron Mountain is that hardly anyone else does it. I have done it several times without seeing another soul..

If we start advertising it as a center of sin, it's popularity is going to go through the ceiling!

How about "Saddle of Virtue"? :D
Good idea. Then it will truly be deserted. :D :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Allah's Saddle. :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

TacoDelRio wrote:Allah's Saddle. :lol:
"Allah's Saddle?" Oh, have you ridden Allah lately? And how do your Muslim friends feel about that? :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Actually, I don't have any Muslim friends. Mostly CHristians and Buddhists. 8)
simonov

Post by simonov »

TacoDelRio wrote:Actually, I don't have any Muslim friends.

She's threatening to go as far as the ski hut on Saturday. Without the AR.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Cool gal! 8)

Nice A1, BTW. Wish I had one. A1 upper on A2 lower w/CRANE/SOPMOD/WTFLOL stock?

Sorry tog et far off topic, admin. :lol:
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

DUDE I LOVE IRON MOUNTAIN.
WANNA SEE SOMETHING NUTS? LOOK UP RICK KENT. AND SEE HIS TRIP ON HEATON FLATS TO IRON MOUNTAIN TO MANKER FLATS AND BACK IN ONE DAY. SUPER MAN!!!!!
He219

Post by He219 »

FIGHT ON wrote:DUDE I LOVE IRON MOUNTAIN.
WANNA SEE SOMETHING NUTS? LOOK UP RICK KENT. AND SEE HIS TRIP ON HEATON FLATS TO IRON MOUNTAIN TO MANKER FLATS AND BACK IN ONE DAY. SUPER MAN!!!!!
Indeed, we're quite aware of Mr. Kent's feat(s).
Imagine, all that on a pint of water and three Brazil nuts for emergency rations.
;)

And welcome to the forum, Trojan Man.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Seriously? One pint of fluid? Doesn't sound right. How do you know? And thanks for the welcome He219.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

If you read Rick Kent's trip reports, you will notice that he does not drink a lot of water, even on long, hard outings. People have taken to joking about it because that's the way people are. I, for example, have been known to say that Rick takes a thimble full on a typical all-day jaunt. We also like to refer to Rick's food consumption in small units, such as Brazil nuts.
tomcat_rc

Post by tomcat_rc »

you should read the Telescope trip report sometime - from Badwater via Porter-Sentinel-Telescope hike down to the kilns to a bicycle he stashed the day before and then bike the 26+miles back to Balarat - water 1 qt and a red bull for that extra energy midway through the trip - that is an overnighter for me - oh yeah and driving back to Ballarat
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Cool I will. AlanK? Does this guy run on his hikes? Seems that he would have to for these times. Or does he just walk. I mean like the race walkers always have to have one foot on the ground at all times vs running. What I am getting at is that I hear of "Trail Runners" and "Hikers". Is there a difference between the two? As far as a person posting the time in those log books. If you take Iron Mt. and look at how fast you have go to get there in under 3 hours you have to average 2.5 miles per hour. You have done that hike so you know you have to slow down after that 4 mile saddle. I guess at least 1 mpr. At least right? Just because of how hard the footing is and loose rocks alone have to slow you down. And having alot of your energy used on the first 4 miles. So I guess you have to go over 3.5 mph up to the saddle. Isn't that like jogging speed? I am just trying to get a sense of if it is common for people to actually "run" during the trip or do they hike only. Like, "We are not interested what you did to get your time, just interested in your time". He could be a robot ya know.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Aside from myself, I don't know who runs during their hikes (I rarely do), unless they put it in their trip reports. Regarding Iron Mountain, I never take two whole hours to go from saddle to summit and it is around 3 miles. So, 1 mph is slow for me and certainly slow for Rick Kent! Personally, I like knowing how quickly people have done various routes, but I don't spend a lot of time analyzing what they do. Most of us are out there for our own enjoyment. I tend to just put one foot in front of the other and let it happen.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Alank. I just saw his times and was amazed. I am interested in details about how people do what they do. I am interested in what is consumed before and during a hike. To hear he hardly drinks and eats is very interesting. Made me think maybe he runs too. I too like to see amazing feats and am just checking him out.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I can only speak for myself. I have done Iron Mountain in 3:18 (and several other times under 3:30) by just walking. I am certainly a lot slower than I was 20 or 30 years ago. I am certain that a young, fit individual can easily do it under 3 hours without running because I am sure that I could have back in the day. Having hiked with Rick Kent, his 2:39 (which is way under 3 hours) does not surprise me at all.

I have no idea what the record is for Iron Mountain from Heaton Flat. Scott McKenzie might have an idea. I seem to recall him mentioning some impressive times.

When I did 3:18, it was not too hot and I did it on a normal breakfast, a little gorp, and just water to drink. Of course we have been in lots of discussions of food and drink for high performance hiking. I regard my fastest trip up Iron as just a good, hard hike, not high performance athletics.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

AlanK. you mean to tell me that those times can be done w/o caffeine?
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

But ya it would be interesting to know what the fastest time is. Not only for Iron but for every hike. I looked on line and can't find anything. It is fun to think that givin your 3:18 time to his 2:39, how far back you would have been if you both started at the same time when he finished. At that pace you can cover a lot of ground in 37 minutes. Dudes a monster. And if someone has done it faster I would like to know. Where would I find information on fastest times for hikes? If there is a place, that would be GREAT. btw. I wanna know something. On the way up the trail from Heaton Flats, past the first saddle when you make a left turn and before the ridge ups and downs that lead to the 4 mile saddle, on the way back I noticed a less used trail that looked like a short cut to avoid all those switch backs. Alan, confess, lol, do you know if that is a short cut and is that used? It sure looks like it would cut off at least 3/4 mile. And the way I figure it that would take exactly 20 minutes off your fastest time which would put you UNDER THE 3 HOUR MARK.
SO ALAN???? the short cut??????
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I sumitted Iron 75 times* in one day.

*Stepped on the summit 75 times
:lol:

Huell Howser: "California, Mexico! California, Mexico! California, Mexico!"