Ontario Peak: Ollestad and Falling Rock Canyons

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

On Saturday, Patrick and I did an off-the-beaten-path tour de force on Ontario Peak. We climbed an obscure canyon on the northwest side (which I call Ollestad Canyon) and descended all of Falling Rock Canyon. Patrick was especially excited to find this waterfall midway down FRC:

Here is what we found in Ollestad Canyon:

My trip report is here.
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

Could the waterfall in your photo be this waterfall? Looks like a fun trip!
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

rokclimbr wrote: Could the waterfall in your photo be this waterfall? Looks like a fun trip!
Thanks for the link -- I had somehow missed that trip report.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Where is my ice? :(

WHY?!???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!??!? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Second time up this route was just as classic as the first, thanks Sam for suggesting this and setting it up.

Do not know what happened to the other cast aways but we found Gilligan's Hat :D Image

Early morning sun on upper Baldy in the distance
Showing my good friend Gumby how to put on Crampons before we head into the upper part of Ollestad Canyon - he's very Patriotic :D

Some guys know how to smile when they are having fun :shock:

Approaching the famous "Dead Tree Landmark" which is Ontario Peak Summit, very few get to see it in winter from this vantage point :D

Sam topping out at the dead tree

Gumby hanging in there (all pun intended) wanting to know where he can get a cold one now that he knows where the opener is :?:

The man of the hour who put this together two years in a row, Mr. Sam Page topping out on the rocks at the summit :D Niceeeeee

Mr. Gumby getting some rays on the summit sipping one of his favorite beverages with Baldy in the background - what a great day :D :D :D

Time to exit "Stage Left" down Falling Rock Canyon with Sam leading the way

If I didn't know any better I would say this was a spring hike, the weather was fantastic. Best part about this climb is that it's orientation keeps you out of the sun most of the day which both of us were very grateful for. The most painful part for both of us came when we realized there was not going to be any glissading in FRC and the snow coverage in the lower part of that canyon was non-existant, so we had to scree scramble, boulder slug, down climb carefully, which was slow and put a major beating our knees. And to top it off the upper part of FRC was slick on the steep slopes but we had to cross over the creek two or three times and the snow bridges were so-so, very little post holing but the angles put a beating on the knees prior to the rocky downclimb at the bottom. All in all a great day. Thanks again Sam.

Rest of My Pictures Here
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Great pics!
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice job, guys!
:D
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

Good stuff,great pics to see!

That is the same route for sugarloaf peak via frc.The waterfall pic is where the ice was earlier this month.
I didnt realize the route lines had such huge detached blocks! Goes to show how solid the conditions can be from one day to another.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Great effort Sam and Patrick on what can be an awesome San Gabriel snow climb when there is plenty of snow. You know i didn't think about the fact that the low snow might make it possible to see airplane wreckage. (hmm... should we try and endure a summer ascent?) I knew coming down FRC was gonna' be no picnic in these conditions and thought it might be an ankle twister. Forgot about those dang knees. Ya' think the creator would have put more lube in them for us mountaineers! :wink: btw, I highly recommend a full length ascent of FRC in mid-August when the flowers are at peak and the wild berries nourish your climb. Yum! then descend the Sugarloaf/Ontario scree saddle.

I was on Skyline meditating "snow, snow, snow" while i busted my arse with Tina, Steve et al, so when my vibes are answered i will be so with you on a revisit to the O. Great photos guys and love the return of the Mountaineering Review as weekly reading. :D
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

norma r wrote: Great photos guys and love the return of the Mountaineering Review as weekly reading. :D
Thanks Norma! I'm not sure I can endure any more descents of FRC. I might have to bomb down the trail next time. If I recall correctly, it took me two hours to descend Ontario Peak via the trail last time. Compare that to 3.5 hours for FRC!