First time up the Baldy Bowl

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Wild

Post by Wild »

Hello everybody, I am Wild, nice to meet you all ;)

This forum is awesome. I never knew it existed until the day I attented Taco's clinic at the bowl on the 8th. Thanks again for that Taco, not only did I learn from you guys, but it was also an extra bit of motivation to finally go experience the bowl.

Man, I had a BLAST that day! It was really fun to climb with so many people, as opposed to my usual solo or two man team trips. I went up the mountain with my good friends Andy, Don (Lcpl Hughes), and Ted. Then, I had the opportunity to meet some really nice people such as Taco himself, a fellow named Johnny who was really cool, simonov, and a few others whos names I unfortunately forget. :( I had the chance to talk to fritz and bluerail briefly as well. It was nice meeting you guys.

Anyhow, Andy, Ted and I showed up at the mountain around 7am and made our way up to the trail a little past 8:30am. We were worried about being late for the clinic but we made it on time thankfully. After hanging out for a minute, we started heading up the bowl until we reached a shaded tree which seemed to be "the spot". There were people practicing self arrest and glissading. After all that good fun, we decided it was time to climb, so up we went. I did not feel like following any tracks so I just went straight up from where we stood. Then we followed the ridge until we reached the rocks at the top of the Bowl. We "chilled" there for a few until we pushed for the summit.

BTW, I saw a dog out there.. near the summit.. That dog is a beast. I never even considered bringing a dog up there, but it's obviously not that bad at all because that dog was having a blast! It would suck if a storm suddenly hit the mountain though. You can see this climbing canine superstar in my video below..

The summit was intense man... It gave me the chills to be up there. Not only because it was f'ing cold, but also because it was so amazing and sublime up there. It's the kind of summit that makes you extremely eager to go climbing again soon. After appreciating God's most amazing creation (yes, mountain tops), we had a lot of fun running and jumping around like fools. Then glissading down the entire bowl was also pretty epic. Thanks for everybody out there for being really nice and supportive. It has been one of the greatest climbing experience I've had to this day!

Here are some pictures and a video I made of the trip... (Notice the dog!)

http://picasaweb.google.com/bushidanny/ ... ViaTheBowl#

Keep on climbing!
norma r

Post by norma r »

:D Welcome to the board! Glad you had a great time and enjoyed the clinic. That day was kinda the beginning of the winter heat wave we are experiencing and the snow was very soft and forgiving. As i said that day, the glisssades and self-arrests were in slow-mo.

As you probably saw last weekend Baldy had wet slide (avy) right near where we were practicing. If you love this sport and want to climb more, make sure you learn to read the snow and when this snow turns to ice make sure you are skilled in your self-arrests. When things go bad you only have a nano-second to change the course of your future.

Climb safe! Have fun!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

norma r wrote: When things go bad you only have a nano-second to change the course of your future.
Funny you should say that my dogs said the same thing right before my wife took them to the VET to get fixed :wink: :lol:

All kidding aside those two glissaders were lucky that everyone yelled loud enough to be heard and to get out of the way.
Wild

Post by Wild »

Hey there Norma, thank you for the warm welcome.

Yes you are right, the snow was very soft on that day. It was actually perfect since it was my friend Ted's first time climbing in the snow. But as you said, when it's ice, it's a lot more dicey! And man, "If you love this sport and want to climb more" ... You know me already. :D

I grew up in the snow so I have a good idea of what I am dealing with most of the time, however I could not agree more that being prepared is most definitely not even an option when you do this kind of thing.. That's why I was really stoked about the clinic, hehehe.

Do you guys have any tips/ideas on some good, reasonably priced winter courses around here? I know the Sierras definitely do, but I am kind of limited right now, so any thoughts are appreciated!

Hi there lilbitmo :)

Thanks!

Oh, and no I actually did not hear about that incident. That must have been quite an experience. So the folks are fine though?
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

Nice to meet you Wild! you were going glissadeinsane all the way back to the parking lot =D hahaa good times man!
Wild

Post by Wild »

Johnny Bronson wrote: Nice to meet you Wild! you were going glissadeinsane all the way back to the parking lot =D hahaa good times man!
Hey what's up Johnny! Haha yeah I'm usually pretty insane in general... ;) Definitely nice to meet you man. Nice crack in the pic btw, where is that?
simonov

Post by simonov »

This old hiker thinks it's really pretty amazing how people can now carry video cameras up there and post the videos on the interwebs.

Seeing videos like that should make it irresistible for hikers and climbers to want to climb Baldy in the winter.
Nunc est bibendum
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

Mitch o_O haha

You guys are having fun and being safe,thats all that matters,its ok to be a little insane I guess wild lol

The crack climb is out in Joshua tree on Hemingway Buttress,its called white lightning
norma r

Post by norma r »

Wild wrote: Do you guys have any tips/ideas on some good, reasonably priced winter courses around here? I know the Sierras definitely do, but I am kind of limited right now, so any thoughts are appreciated!

Oh, and no I actually did not hear about that incident. That must have been quite an experience. So the folks are fine though?
Wild,
you can contact Sierra Mountaineering International www.sierramountaineering.com and take a drive up to the Bishop/Mammoth area for a day long Snow Travel Course that is worth every penney. $130.00 i believe. or if there is still room, you can save 20% and take the SMI course at Baldy on 2/12/11 if you follow the information on this meetup page: http://www.meetup.com/SoCal-Hikers-and- ... /15315801/

regarding the incident, see:
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum ... =2&fpart=1
Wild

Post by Wild »

Hey there simonov! Hehehe, I made sure to choose the smallest and most lightweight camera I could find. It's pretty cool, you can even hook it up on your helmet or your head with a little creativity. And yup, my main focus is to show people how beautiful and precious the wilderness can be. We are building and destroying everything nice on our planet and I have a mission to open people's eyes. Especially now that California's state parks are suffering economically, it is the best time ever to open people's eyes and encourage them to go out there and appreciate it, so they can respect and protect it as well.

BTW, I still think you have the coolest axe ever!

Norma, thank you very much for the suggestions! I am thinking about making the drive to Bishop and also attending the Baldy one. Wouldn't hurt!

Johnny, oh yeah, I just love nature so much I can't help but let my wild side take over out there. ;) Safety first though, absolutely. I am still brainwashed with Operational Readiness guidelines...

Ah, that's in Hidden Valley isn't it? That crack looks delicious.. is it a trad route?