Stove of the Week: Tibetan Ti Wing Stove

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Well, another week has passed, so it's time to post another stove. This week, the stove of the week is the Tibetan Ti Wing Stove. At 12g, the Tibetan Ti Wing Stove is one of the lightest backpacking stoves there is. Every investigation I've read lists hexamine as the lightest overall fuel, all things considered (stove, packaging, the fuel itself).

The Tibetan Ti Wing Stove is a solid fuel stove. It is typically used to burn hexamine cubes or tablets. Esbit brand is shown on the left and Stansport brand is shown on the right. Esbit it the "name" brand and is generally more expensive but is also, at least where I live more widely available.
The Ti Wing stove can also burn other things like military trioxane (toxic), Wetfire Tinder, etc.

OK, let's head out to one of my local test beds, the Verdugo Mountains of Southern California.

Finding a suitable spot, I unfold the three "wings" of the stove and place an Esbit cube onto the burner pan. Note that I've displaced the cube to the right. Sometimes the cubes are a bit hard to light. Being able to get a flame under the cube helps substantially.

And after a moment, we have flame. Note that the flame is quite yellow. Apparently the US military abandoned hexamine as a fuel because of this yellow flame and went to trioxane instead which has a much more subtle, blue flame. Trioxane is however toxic both in terms of touching the fuel and in breathing the fumes. Use trioxane with care.

Ti Wing Stove in use

Hexamine isn't a powerful fuel. If you're used to the boil times of stoves that use petroleum based fuels, hexamine will be considerably slower. Hexamine's power compares favorably to alcohol. Nonetheless, in fairly short order, we pass the "tea test".

The steam is a bit hard to see, but for you doubters, here it is, a full roiling boil:

And now, for a delicious cup of tea.

There are a couple of downsides to hexamine. 1) It's generally the most expensive fuel out there and 2) it leaves a brown residue on your pot. It wouldn't be so bad if the residue were a hard residue, but, no, the residue is sticky and gooey and gets all over things. I bring a plastic bag to put the pot in after use. The good news is that the residue comes off with ease.

One nice thing about hexamine is that it can be blown out. You do not need to burn the entire cube once lit. As it cools, hexamine forms these odd crystals.

Finally, tea enjoyed full well, I fold the wings of the Ti Wing Stove. She's now ready to be stowed.

A most compact package. The stove weighs a mere 12g (less than half an ounce). The pot less than 3 ounces. For less than a quarter pound, I've got a nice set to brew up with. This is the lightest, most compact set up out there for hikers, hunters, mountain bikers, etc. It's not the most powerful or versatile. Definitely not one I'd want to have along in foul weather, but very light, compact, and easy to use.

I went hiking with my daughter yesterday by the way. We had a fabulous time sitting by a creek together. She enjoyed splashing her feet in the water. Daddy enjoyed a break. Can you see the family resemblance?

I hope you've enjoyed this, another installment in my "Stove of the Week" series.

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Thanks Jim, I dig this idea!

I used to use Hexamine a lot when I stopped using Trioxane. I never noticed those crystals, but I think I never really blew one out on purpose, always burning it until it ran out.

That's a great shot with your daughter! :D
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Very nice! Seems like a handy item to have in the ol' "essentials" kit, even if you don't want to be an ultra-ultralighter and use it for actual meal prep.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Can you see the family resemblance?
Yes. You're both cyclopes! :wink:

I can attest, this stove boiled water faster than I'd have ever guessed it would.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Thanks again HJ for giving us more info on stoves, the more I learn the better my choices will be always good to learn new stuff :D

The likeness is amazing, the headlamps give it away but I had no idea your last name was Petzl :wink:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

lilbitmo wrote: The likeness is amazing, the headlamps give it away but I had no idea your last name was Petzl :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote: Thanks Jim, I dig this idea!

I used to use Hexamine a lot when I stopped using Trioxane. I never noticed those crystals, but I think I never really blew one out on purpose, always burning it until it ran out.

That's a great shot with your daughter! :D
She thinks a headlamp is the coolest thing going. :) One of her very first words (after mama and dada) was "light."

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote: I can attest, this stove boiled water faster than I'd have ever guessed it would.
It would have been even faster if I hadn't spilled most of the first potful. :oops:

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

cougarmagic wrote: Very nice! Seems like a handy item to have in the ol' "essentials" kit, even if you don't want to be an ultra-ultralighter and use it for actual meal prep.
It's danged convenient. No measuring or pouring like an alcohol stove. Can't spill. Wrapper crushes to nothing. Totally easy to estimate how much you need (one Esbit = about 2 cups boiled).

The only down side is that it's a little pricey and there's that sticky goo (plastic bag over the pot fixes that), but so light and compact you won't even notice it's there.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

lilbitmo wrote: Thanks again HJ for giving us more info on stoves, the more I learn the better my choices will be always good to learn new stuff :D
Stay tuned, my brother, stay tuned. :)
lilbitmo wrote: The likeness is amazing, the headlamps give it away but I had no idea your last name was Petzl :wink:
Actually, I think they should put an "r" in there, but that would be twisted. [groan]

HJ
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

lol....

That is a kool little stove!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hey, it's nice for a quick cuppa. So small you hardly notice it.

HJ