Baldy Bowl, 1/15/2011

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Yesterday, six of us had a great morning ascent of Baldy Bowl. Snow conditions were excellent, though there was a constant trickle of projectiles raining down from above. The first mile or so of the trail was mostly free of snow.

Read my trip report.

lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Glad you got back out Sam, Mike great to meet you and make a new climbing friend, Zach you are an animal, Tina always nice to have you along to make us laugh, Taco nice 15 minute run down from the Ski Hut to the register box.

What a great day on the mountain on a perfect southern Cal winter day :shock: :D

My Pictures Here
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Thanks guys and gal, I started off feeling very very bad emotionally, and you guys helped me get my head INTO the clouds and outta the smog of the city. I love you guys, and I mean that.

My pics:

Mike

Chute

RAMPAGE!

Some Persian dudes with their dog going up the Bowl. :-)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Wow. I want to meet that dog!
Zach

Post by Zach »

What a beautiful weekend it has been.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Nice job, guys (and gal :D )! Based on your positive reports, Norma, Phil and I got up before breakfast on Sunday and hit Dostie's Dare. We encountered a bit of posty-holing, but nary a projectile. After summiting we got a fun, fast slide back down to the hut. Ran into Burchey who got an even earlier start and visited with Fritz who was overnighting at the hut with a bunch of college buddies. Just another fun day on good ol' Baldy.
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

Sounds like everybody had a fun safe weekend on Baldy..
Dave, saw Fritz at 5:30 sunday evening coming down said he saw you and Norma earlyier in day..

I went up main bowl summited at 9:30pm bivyed at West Ridge,
bitchen night and morning... windy all night didnt get much sleep (forgot sleeping pills)... went to bed at 11:00 39deg got out of bag at 5am 40deg...

mark
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5795 ... t=outdoors
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Dave G

Post by Dave G »

So.BayMark wrote: Sounds like everybody had a fun safe weekend on Baldy..
Dave, saw Fritz at 5:30 sunday evening coming down said he saw you and Norma earlyier in day..

I went up main bowl summited at 9:30pm bivyed at West Ridge,
bitchen night and morning... windy all night didnt get much sleep (forgot sleeping pills)... went to bed at 11:00 39deg got out of bag at 5am 40deg...

mark
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5795 ... t=outdoors
You (and your wacky thermometer) da man, Mark! :lol:
I still haven't gotten around to [intentionally] overnighting on Baldy. 8)
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Mark was the 1st critter we ran into on the way up MLK Day.
Thought he made exceptional time! Damn it was warm.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Mark did you have a cookie feast all to yourself on the summit - had I known :wink: :D
Nice pictures everyone :D
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Dave G wrote: Nice job, guys (and gal :D )! Based on your positive reports, Norma, Phil and I got up before breakfast on Sunday and hit Dostie's Dare. We encountered a bit of posty-holing, but nary a projectile. After summiting we got a fun, fast slide back down to the hut. Ran into Burchey who got an even earlier start and visited with Fritz who was overnighting at the hut with a bunch of college buddies. Just another fun day on good ol' Baldy.
Dave, did I catch you guys on your way up or way down? I love and hate the early start - waking up at 3 am in the back seat of a Nissan Maxima just doesn't seem like the way to start the day. It's pretty creepy hiking alone up to the ski hut in the dark, headlamp on low, moon set so you can't see the critters. Took me 4 hours to get to the summit, most of which was spent trying to tie on these old-school crampons I had to borrow about 3/4 of the way up the bowl

Wasn't all bad, I was staring at the sunrise while strapping them on. The glissade down was SCARY, had the helmet on and the crampons off, and I couldn't control my speed with the spike. I had to do a half-assed arrest with the pick above and behind me while sliding on my butt. Good times.

Is anyone else amazed besides me at the amount of people on the ski hut trail? I'm guessing this is why Taco and a few others hit the lesser traveled areas - more challenge and solitude.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That's one of the reasons why. The Bowl gets crowded. Also, there are tons more routes out there which are "better" (for lack of a better term), safer, and more challenging technically, physically, and mentally. I've done the Bowl way way more times than I can remember (3 times this last week alone, once not by choice per se), so the same 40 degree snow slope gets old.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Taco wrote: ... so the same 40 degree snow slope gets old.
Kinda like being married
tinaballina

Post by tinaballina »

Had a great time getting out there again.
Big thank you to Sam (whom i finally met and adore)
Zach attack
Patrick(aka biatch)
MO Bear
and Big thank to MY TACO

ps...Fritzer-i was bummed i thought i would see you...:(
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Burchey wrote:
Taco wrote: ... so the same 40 degree snow slope gets old.
Kinda like being married
LOL
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

tinaballina wrote: Had a great time getting out there again.
Big thank you to Sam (whom i finally met and adore)
Zach attack
Patrick(aka biatch)
MO Bear
and Big thank to MY TACO

ps...Fritzer-i was bummed i thought i would see you...:(
<3 <3 <3
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice job, guys! Well done.
:D
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »