Bailey Canyon Trip Report 1/5/11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

I knew I wanted to go exploring but I could not make up my mind where to go. The recent storm and my lack of snow/ice gear was limiting my options somewhat. I looked into Pasadena Glen Canyon, Eaton Canyon, Castle Canyon and Cascade Canyon. Eventually I decided to check out Hastings Canyon, via Bailey’s Canyon. I found a bit of beta on a canyoneering website that looked promising. I downloaded the topo on my iPhone and took off.

I left the trailhead in Sierra Madre at 10:25am and made a good pace up to the old stone cabin, arriving at 11:05am. I dropped into the canyon and proceeded upstream.

After about 75 meters or so I came to a fork where I stayed left.

The fork, not the greatest photo... sorry

A little further up a very large oak tree had slid off the hillside choking the canyon, the route over and under the slippery tree branches was a bit treacherous, but just a small taste of what was to come.

The topo map, that I had downloaded, showed that I needed to cut south-west across the hillside so at this point I attempted too but was shut down after a 100 meters or so by over head high brush that was to thick to penetrate. So I dropped back down into the canyon and proceeded further upstream. After about 15 minutes of hiking I came to a boulder choked waterfall and right before this waterfall was a very small side canyon. I decided to try my luck cutting back across the hillside from the small offshoot canyon but once again after about 100 meters I was shutdown by impenetrable brush. So after retracing my steps I dropped back into the main canyon and continued upstream.

Here is the link to the site where I got the topo, if the author has a problem with me posting I'll remove it. http://www.dankat.com/advents/advents.htm

My time was running out so I gave up the attempt to gain the ridge and decided to stay in the canyon and see how far up I could get. After climbing up to the left of the waterfall (15 meter scramble) I came to yet another fork. I stayed left as it looked a little more adventurous. Shortly after the fork I came upon some fairly steep sections of solid granite, probably Class 4 stuff. It was fun climbing up the solid granite (about 6 meters or so, not very tall) but it was a bit spicy as a good amount of water was running down the face.

The brush choked hillside, notice the solitary pine tree on the hillside - a good landmark.

After this bit of climbing I discovered an impressive 15+ meter tall waterfall. It was to loose to climb so I gained a small ridge to the right of the waterfall that I hoped would take me to the 4,000 foot “summit” I was aiming for. It was much hotter on the exposed south face above the canyon than I was expecting and after picking my way through the brush for about 10 minutes I decided to stop. I had reached my high point for the day.

View from the high point, you can see the oil rigs out in the ocean that are south of Long Beach!

After a quick photo op, I found an easier way to drop into the canyon (bypassing the 6 meter cliff I’d 4th classed up) and frustratingly I made it back to the stone cabin within 30 minutes. 1.5 hours hiking up, 30 minutes back down, of course on the way down I had not attempted to gain the ridge above Hastings Canyon a fact I forgot to factor into my time equation. It was only 1pm and I had till 2:15pm, I could have spent another 20-25 minutes or so continuing my push up the mountain. Since I had some time to kill I took my boots and socks off and ate some cheese and crackers. The hike down was uneventful, I came across a few people walking their dogs and 3h 40m after starting I was back at my car. Not a bad day and a good conditioning hike to help me prepare for some of my bigger goals.

Bailey's Canyon from the trail[/i]

Here is a Google Terrain map of my high point (as best as I can guess)
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 07079fdeb7
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Hastings....I never heard anything good about that canyon yet...especially the route you took. Have you done climbing in the lower part of Bailey canyon?

Eaton area- some good exploration to be had there.
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

I did Bailey's canyon (actually my second canyoneering route after Subway in Zion) a few years ago and was quite surprised with some of the rock. Here is one waterfall that had a very old/rusty aid bolt ladder.

I think that this was the 4th or 5th waterfall. Then further down at the free hanging waterfall was this impressive chunk of granite.

Probably not the greatest photo but the guy in the top left corner kind of gives it scale...

One place I've always wanted to check out though is the Great Falls of the Fox. I bet there is some good rock up there for sure!
http://www.dankat.com/advents/grtfox.htm

I will have to check out Eaton though. I have never been, unfortunately, the description made it sound like you cannot get up from the bottom... So I'd have to start at the top and drop down the canyon to check the rock climbing potential?
norma r

Post by norma r »

:) Nice little TR and scramble. Loved the pic of the fungi and the SG Valley to the ocean. Cool!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Nice attempt!
That route was a breeze after the 1993 fire

Not so much any more

The south facing areas areas are always warm to hot when the sun shines. Cloudy days are best for exploring in that neck o the woods IMO

Thanx for sharing
Matt
AW~

Post by AW~ »

rokclimbr wrote: One place I've always wanted to check out though is the Great Falls of the Fox. I bet there is some good rock up there for sure!
http://www.dankat.com/advents/grtfox.htm

I will have to check out Eaton though. I have never been, unfortunately, the description made it sound like you cannot get up from the bottom... So I'd have to start at the top and drop down the canyon to check the rock climbing potential?
GFF and that area of BigT area has solid rock. You wouldnt need to go so far as the GFF to climb...course the area is closed now so.....

Eaton- lower Eaton itself is not really for rock climbing...its in the tributaries to Eaton. Yup, have to go from the top via the Idlehour trail to climbs...for example https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=3207
I try to avoid climbs, but if you want to be challenged, theres plenty in that area, all the way to extreme overnite stuff like East Muir.