Iron Mt via Heaton Saddle

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

I'm planning to lead a small group on Sunday. I was told by someone who went up this past weekend that the trail is in good shape (no ice) at least for most of it, so I am going to try.

http://hiking.meetup.com/196/calendar/7281795/

There is a chance of rain, so I might have to do this hike on Friday if that stays the same. (My gf wants to do the hike before she moves up to norcal).

Where exactly do I pick up a Sheep Wilderness pass? Do I also need to display an Adventure pass in the East Fork?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Unless things have changed, you do need an adventure pass for the E Fork area.

Not sure if things on Iron Mtn. are ice/snow free. This recent trip report https://eispiraten.com/f ... -asc-0.php doesn't look very snow free, but it's about 3 or so weeks old.

As for Wilderness permits, well, they really don't check them in the Sheep Mtn. Wilderness although I guess you should still get one. I know the ranger station in Mt. Baldy issues permits for the Cucamonga Wilderness and I assume the Sheep Mtn. Wilderness, but people usually come in from Azusa when accessing the E Fork area, so the Baldy RS may be inconvenient. I'm not sure if you can get permits at the entrance station in Azusa Canyon. You could just call the USFS HQ in Arcadia and ask where they're available:
Angeles National Forest
701 North Santa Anita Ave.
Arcadia, CA 91006
(626) 574-1613

HJ
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

There used to be a stand outside of the Ranger Station at Heaton Flat for self-issue permits. When we did Iron last spring, there were no permits.

I have never seen a ranger or had a permit checked in that area.

I did think one had to have an Adventure Pass to park at Heaton Flat.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Here's a link to some info on passes.
Self-service Wilderness Permit issuance is available at the West Forest Trailhead.
West Forest Trailhead? I think you can self issue a permit at the East Fork Ranger Station which is the one at the parking lot for Heaton Flat, right?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Right -- I was referring to the East Fork Ranger Station at Heaton Flat, just off the parking lot. I always used to self-issue a permit there but there were no forms last time we were there. That station seems more and more abandoned every time we visit.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I was at the trailhead for Heaton Trail the other day, and there's a full book of permits in the box-on-a-pole thing right at the TH. I hope it doesn't get stolen or something.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Well, in that case, I may go back again! :-)
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Tis not a ranger station....its a fire station. The ranger station is at the beginning of Hwy39.

Cool if someone could grab a blank one..lets get this form scanned in! I havent seen any forms available when I go.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I claim no knowledge of what goes/went on at that station, but the USFS Web site for the Sheep Mountain Wilderness refers to an East Fork Ranger Station. At least we don't have to feel too embarrassed for our confusion.

I do think that the idea of posting a copy of the permit is a good idea. I'll try to remember to grab one to next time I'm in the area. Unless someone else does it first.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Even worse is finding a link for these fire stations...

http://pages.prodigy.net/robertmorgan/F ... tions.html

Maybe theres a map for them at the west forest trailhead 8)

Anyways, following that link says the #23 firestation is currently out of service....

Not a bad link though..check out the incidents....a lot of detail.

"03/10/2008 14:39 ANF-751 No Adventure Passes Miscellaneous Millard Parking Lot ".....ut oh :shock:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AW wrote:Maybe theres a map for them at the west forest trailhead 8)
I knew it! A secret trailhead somewhere in the Sheep Mountain Wilderness. Probably leads to the trail that goes up Big Horn Ridge :D.

Someone's going to get canned for letting this one slip out.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

HikeUp wrote:Someone's going to get canned for letting this one slip out.
Could be worse. In Singapore he'd be caned.

I am learning a lot today, though. The no Adventure Passes incident has me spooked. :)
AW~

Post by AW~ »

I have to admit one experience....OK so safe parking along Big Tujunga canyon....we decided to park the vehicles at the 'Mill Creek ranger station' and take our chances with just one. Everything went fine.....

Next time around, we go with the same plan. This time a forest service lady is out and about. We exchange hellos and a little later, she tells us we have to move our car? I ask why, and she says theres a meeting that day...she clues in that we arent forest service employees, and then informs us its a fire station. I said well isnt this the Mill Creek ranger station? ....nope, its well up the road she says, confounded that someone in the public would park here...as we leave we tell her thanks and relay our previous parking to her. She let us know cars get towed, we were just VERY fortunate...examining the sign closely on the way out, yup, it said in smaller font that it was a fire station....luckily she was out there as our cars would surely have been towed.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Cool thanks for discussion.

Now I know I seem clueless as I haven't done this hike yet, but I'm going down the NF-8W16 about a mile?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... 9&t=p&z=15

In terms of total elevation & distance, I've read from 14-16 miles and from 6000 to 7200 ft. Anyone have a more specific estimate?

Thanks,

Joe
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

You go down the dirt road about half a mile and head uphill on the steep trail behind the restrooms there.

The hike is close to 14 miles, 6000' net and around 7200' total elevation gain/loss.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

What is the best source for determining weather, and also temperature at higher elevations?

For instance, weather.com has a 30% chance of rain for Sunday.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/U ... undeclared

On easier trails I wouldn't be too worried about rain, but I am unsure of how much rain this would be, or even if it would be snow.

I need to make a decision tomorrow on cancelling the hike on Sunday, as instead I'll do it on Friday. (My girlfriend wants to this before moving up to norcal, what a trooper!)

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Joe
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

This site has area mountain weather information and turns out to be pretty good.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

JMunaretto: If you go on Friday, please post a report on conditions above the saddle - snow, ice, clear, etc. Thanks, and hope you make it!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

The National Wx Service says 30% chance of snow on Sat/Sat night and 20% on Sunday.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapCli ... -117.71327

If you look at the link above, you'll see that I plugged in the approx. lat/lon for Iron Mtn. The NWS will then give you a "point" forcast, i.e. a forcast for that point. It's not super accurate in terms of where it locates the points; you'll notice it rounded off to 34.29N -117.71W, but it's pretty close and is sometimes more helpful than a general "So. Cal. Mtns." forecast.

There discussion page says:
A COLD STORM SYSTEM IS
EXPECTED TO IMPACT THE AREA OVER THE WEEKEND. THIS STORM SYSTEM
COULD BRING A VARIETY OF WEATHER IMPACTS TO THE AREA INCLUDING
SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS...A WINTRY MIX OF PRECIPITATION TO THE
MOUNTAINS...AND GUSTY OFFSHORE WINDS.

They've also issued a Wind Advisory. Sounds like "fun."
pilot

Post by pilot »

I'd definitely go on Friday instead of Sunday. Some sites are now saying 60% chance of rain and snow level down to 3K-4K ft. I also use this site for weather info:

www.snowforecast.com

The long range for Socal is also showing a possible storm next weekend (22/23) and then possibly more storms from the 25th and on through the end of March with some breaks inbetween storms.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

HAHAHAH YES!

I hope we get some new snow!!!! I need more days off.

If so... TWIN PEAKS... I have to get up to do that.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

awesome help. I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Have fun and stay safe. BRING LOTSA WATER!