Baldy Bowl 12-28-10

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

The conditions were perfect yesterday for a first Baldy Bowl ascent of the season. We started up the center until Norma got whacked in the shin with piece of ice. Not knowing how the injury might affect her climbing, we played it safe and headed slightly east where the angle is milder. After a fun glissade down, we spent a little while looking for my helmet (white Petzl) which I had decided to bowl down the Bowl for some reason. :oops: It's still down there in them willows somewhere! :evil:

The storm rehab continues at Manker

The Ski Hut in fine weather

Heading up the Bowl

A couple of guys we met training for Casaval Ridge

Topping out

Sculpted summit

Summit shot

A quick descent
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'll keep an eye out if I head up there soon.
He219

Post by He219 »

Sculpted Summit shot is awesome!
Cheers guys, well done!
:D
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Great TR Dave and Norma, wish I could have joined you, pictures make me want to go right this minute but will give it a day or two :D
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Great Pics Dave, sorry you lost your helmet but now we have a treasure hunt in the making :P

Norma, you're hard core, for sure! You must have a very high pain tolerance.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

He219 wrote: Sculpted Summit shot is awesome!
Cheers guys, well done!
:D
2x.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

x3 on the summit shot.

Question: When you guys glissade, do you ever stress on messing up the butt of your pants? I'm using the REI Taku pants right now, and they aren't thin, but they aren't thick either. Never done it, so I'm a little worried about rippin the old seat open.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Despite the bad Juju that hiked with us today, we sure had a “Fun Day” on the bowl. Tracie, I think it's more I have a hard head than a high pain threshold. :wink: I've got one heck of a bruise on my left shin. It probably came from the rock's above since the trees above the chutes didn't look ready to drop yet. It was too sore to front point it up a chute, so had we not had the option of heading east I would have been toast. :evil: Word of caution: that missile was silent!! We kept a better head's up from then out and when we came within range of a rimed tree, took turns watching up while the other climbed until we passed the trees. Slower, but much safer technique when there are hazards above.

Great views of the Pacific, the Sierra and Telescope Peak in DV. We glissaded down and again picked our lines out of trajectory of rime missiles. We saw one tree drop two huge pieces of ice that made me think of sérac's collapsing in the Himalaya. Be aware and be safe. There was evidence of slides in the west bowl and the east felt comfortably consolidated.

Dear Old Baldy. Notice the slides in the west bowl.

Close-up of slides

Heading east

Not all rime was suspect. This up top was frozen solid and not going anywhere, today.

B-P south calling Taco...

Can't beat this lunch spot. High alpine, out of the wind, with a view of the Pacific.

All the rain that destroyed the road is sitting in the San Antonio Dam/catch basin below

Video of Dave having fun on the descent :D
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yE ... directlink

rest of my pix are here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma8 ... Bowl122810#
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

8)

Thanks for that photo, Norma. That's gonna look way meaner real soon!
norma r

Post by norma r »

Burchey wrote: Question: When you guys glissade, do you ever stress on messing up the butt of your pants? I'm using the REI Taku pants right now, and they aren't thin, but they aren't thick either. Never done it, so I'm a little worried about rippin the old seat open.
i wear my Marmot Precip pants over my hiking pants when glissading to keep me dry. the Precip breakdown after one good day of glissading so i have duct tape now lining the inside. i would like a nice, easy to put-on over short/pant that holds up better. any suggestions guys??
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

I've thought about making some custom shorts with a high waist (keep snow out of lower back) from a cheap tarp or something, nothing that weighs too much. Toss those on for the way down, impress all the ladies with my bright blue snow diaper.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Here are the rest of my photos, including a vid of Norma glissading.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042415@N ... 702615764/

And a few more weird snow flutings and such:

mve

Post by mve »

WOW incredible makeover, thanks for the TR and the great pictures! Norma, hope you heal up soon from the rock-attack. And those rime iced trees are fully loaded :shock: good idea on recon/advance maneuver -- very clever and probably should be the norm for anyone going up there until the rime ice is gone.
rbracci

Post by rbracci »

Good times guys and awesome views. Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear about your shin, Norma. That sucks. Hopefully you're feeling better.

As far as glissading I found this item from www.canyoneeringusa.com called the Scuttle Butt. I met someone on Shasta who had one and said it worked great for glissading and protecting pants etc. I haven't used one yet and am still waiting for mine, because they're currently backordered until April, but I think this will be the perfect thing for protecting pants.

Here is the link to it on their website: http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/product ... 260&page=1
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

rbracci wrote: I found this item from www.canyoneeringusa.com called the Scuttle Butt.
I want to buy it just for the name!
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

rbracci wrote: As far as glissading I found this item from www.canyoneeringusa.com called the Scuttle Butt. I met someone on Shasta who had one and said it worked great for glissading and protecting pants etc. I haven't used one yet and am still waiting for mine, because they're currently backordered until April, but I think this will be the perfect thing for protecting pants.

Here is the link to it on their website: http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/product ... 260&page=1
A friend of mine has one of those and he complained that it was too heavy. So I made a lighweight prototype out of Dyneema and gave it to him to try out (he lives near the Sierra). He liked it so much that he never returned it and I never got around to making another one for me. :evil:

I think Snow Claw should make an improved strap kit so that you can securely attach it to your a$$ for glissading and still have use of your ice axe. 8)
rbracci

Post by rbracci »

That's good feedback. So how much for your Dyneema version, Dave? I want one.

I've thought about using the Snow Claw just not sure if it will add too much drag. I should try making a strap for it and just test it though. It's a fine line between durability and light weight. The Dyneema sounds awesome.
rbracci

Post by rbracci »

Dave, we can call your's the Dyna Butt!
norma r

Post by norma r »

:wink: i made a few names for it, but he didn't like them. :(

we did make a video of the maiden glissade. i think you have it DG.
mve

Post by mve »

I recommend the lightweight super slick system as demonstrated in this instructional video:
mve

Post by mve »

mve wrote: I recommend the lightweight super slick system as demonstrated in this instructional video:
oh yeah, almost forgot to mention -- this system also serves double duty as a rock/ice shield :lol: it's called (Ice Sparta TM). And it's a pleasure to use:
turtle

Post by turtle »

Burchey wrote:
rbracci wrote: I found this item from www.canyoneeringusa.com called the Scuttle Butt.
I want to buy it just for the name!
The original name that Tom (Imlay owner) chose for the product was even better -- Baboonska!

Sadly, sales were apparently sluggish with that appellation.