A quiet day up Icehouse Canyon 12-26-10

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

Sunday, I headed up Baldy way. Signs warned of a closed road up ahead. Just past the village, there was a checkpoint run by the County of San Bernardino. I got to speak with “the guy” who evidently was in charge of the whole situation. He assured me that the road would be closed until New Years.
So, marooned in Baldy Village, I hoofed it up the road to an empty Icehouse Canyon parking lot and enjoyed a trail that I had almost to myself. Booted it up the whole way to Bighorn Peak. Great views and hardly any wind. There was one other hiker who was at the saddle when I got there. He broke trail up to the saddle, and was going to try and follow the trail to Kelly camp as I headed up to the peak. Maybe 10 people total went up to the saddle today. All in all a beautiful day!

When I returned, the trail was choked with people for the last ~mile. Did they all walk up to the trailhead? Not very likely. The parking lot was jammed full of cars, as was Baldy road. I guess “the guy” was full of hot air - to put it nicely. Oh well, it did make for a great day of near solitude on IHC trail – pretty rare!
The good news is that the road is open.

Pix:

lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Great Pictures Phil, great TR - I give up what's the Christmas toy (Snow Claw) it was upside down so I coundn't make out what it said exactly?

Did you at least catch a ride back to the village? :D
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Great TR, Phil!
Did you happen to notice the raging not-so-dryfall? I believe that's the one we got cliffed out at last winter when we took a "shortcut" from Kelly's. :lol:

lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

Hey Patrick!
It's a plastic goodie for moving snow. No substitute for a real shovel, but way better than nothing. I went on the lee side of the ridge and dug myself a little seat, and then used it to sit on. It weighs very little and easily slips into a pack.

Dave: There are tons of water everywhere. Stream crossings and ponds where I've never seen then before. We definitely need to get up there and check out the falls, wet or dry!
norma r

Post by norma r »

the one time you don't wear trail runners Phil and you have to "hoof it." figures! :P

nice holiday de-stresser hike. there is something magical about having a forrest of freshly fallen snow (nearly) to yourself. nice clear shots of Catalina and I-15. love the views right after a storm!
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Nice shots, Phil! Hey I saw that plastic snow scooper thingy at REI but thought a shovel would be best for my purposes...but for a day hike..... How did you like it?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hey, that waterfall almost looks like it's frozen... :twisted:
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

Hi Tracie:
The shovel thingy works quite well. I doubt that its a substitute for a real shovel, but it seems to move a lot of snow fairly easily. It weighs about 6 oz. and easily slips in the pack. Some reviews claim it is good for digging snow caves.
Was telling Patrick that I dug out a nice seat in the snow and used it to sit on. It is pretty pliable and is said to make a great emergency splint.

Taco: Falls were flowing that day, but now ????
rbracci

Post by rbracci »

The Snow Claw: I have one of those. Like you said it's a great day hiking item to have in the pack. It's definitely no substitute for a real shovel though. It will work in emergencies but it takes a lot of work to move any significant amount of snow, and it doesn't handle icy snow well at all.

Like you said it's really light and can be used as a seat as well. A good tool to have.