Xmas in Joshua Tree

Archived TRs for desert ranges.
obie

Post by obie »

Back on the road after 3.5 months of rehab. Feels great to be simply in a place I love and, enjoying the peace and quiet.

A friend will be joing me in two weeks for some camping so I wanted to check out the campsite and some roads to ride/hike in Hidden Valley.

I brought my bike but my leg is not up to it yet and, I simply didn't want to do anything alone that might throw all this out the window again.

Got pummelled by rain/wind Saturday nite. Glad the new tent did it's thing - I hadn't taken time to seal the seams.

High 30's at nite and 70 during day in Mojave end, cooler with the breeze on the Colorado side.

Gorgonio and Jacinto looked great. San Gorgonio in particular was stunning in the clear daylight with all the new snow.

View from the campsite in Indian Cove

Hidden Valley of treasures...

Yucca Valley barber shop

lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Glad you are back in the "Saddle" Obie, very nice pictures and thanks for the backside views of San G and San J, hope the rest of the recovery goes quick and no set backs
obie

Post by obie »

lilbitmo wrote: Glad you are back in the "Saddle" Obie, very nice pictures and thanks for the backside views of San G and San J, hope the rest of the recovery goes quick and no set backs
Thanks libitmo!

First day out and I couldn't figure out what to do first. Good feeling!
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

Nice shots.

Q: Are those cacti in front of the barber shop real? Look somewhat fake, but definately an eyecatcher.

Never found a lot of good MTB area out there. Too much soft sand for me. Cyclocross bike with bombproof tires is my choice. Try riding the road from the west entrance up to Keys View for a real buttkicker!
obie

Post by obie »

atomicoyote wrote: Nice shots.

Q: Are those cacti in front of the barber shop real? Look somewhat fake, but definately an eyecatcher.

Never found a lot of good MTB area out there. Too much soft sand for me. Cyclocross bike with bombproof tires is my choice. Try riding the road from the west entrance up to Keys View for a real buttkicker!
Thanks.

The cacti sure looked real to me!

I've been thinking about where I could start back in with some mellow riding/hiking. JTree should do. That loop around Queen Valley looks good for starters.

Saw one roadie out there on Sat. heading up from North entrance and packing three bottles. Kinda envied him - that's a nice steady climb. Yea, a CX rig might be the call this time of the year what with sand on the road and probably goat heads etc?
Taco

Post by Taco »

Feels good to get out, eh?

Yeah, those cacti are transplanted Saguaro (Carnegiea gigantea).
obie

Post by obie »

Taco wrote: Feels good to get out, eh?

Yeah, those cacti are transplanted Saguaro (Carnegiea gigantea).
Yep, feels like you got a life again.

Giganteas indeed. Way cool.