Wildlife in the San Gabriel Mountians

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone happens to know a good spot or the best time of the day to possiblly see wildlife............I would really appreciate any info that anyone might have.......
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Do you mean 'wildlife' in the large mammal sense? Or do you prefer birds or perhaps the herps of the San Gabriels? You asked a wide open question...
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Hi, I'm interested in seeing any type of wildlife other than the typical lizard or rodent, but to clarify my question I was thinking more along the lines of large mammals, like deer, foxes, bobcat, bear, mountian lion, or any other mammal that may be out there............... I was just wondering if there are any better than average places where these animals may be or a time frame day or night, when I may have a halfway decent chance of seeng something?? Any comments anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.......
pilot

Post by pilot »

My experience is limited to the Mt. Baldy and Vincent Gap areas but I've only seen wildlife on four occasions:
  • A couple of bighorn sheep while on the Ski Hut Trail to Baldy, at about the 7500 ft level. This was during the day on a summer afternoon.
  • A single mule deer on the Icehouse Canyon Trail, just below the saddle. It was grazing just off the trail about 15 feet away. This was at dusk during the fall.
  • Two snakes, one with red stripes and the other a rattlesnake, a few feet off the Icehouse Canyon Trail, about a mile in from the trail head. I think this was in May and it was in the afternoon.
  • A single bighorn sheep while on the Ski Hut Trail at about the same spot as before. This was at night a few hours after sunset in October. I came around a corner and my headlamp lit up this huge giant head with glowing eyes and no legs looking at me. It freaked me out until I made out the horns and realized it was a bighorn sheep. Damn thing kept staring at me even as I slowly backed away.
I'm no biologist but you're probably more likely to see wildlife early in the morning or at dusk when most humans are not around.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

As far as large mammals in the San Gabriels, I've seen only deer and only during the mornings before say 10a. But then again a majority of my hikes are finished before noon so this is certainly not conclusive. As far as where I've seen them, anywhere from 1000' elevation to about 8000'.

Birds are plentiful and variable depending on elevation and time of year. Hawks are common everywhere it seems. I've seen eagles at higher elevations (7000'+). I've read of a few Condor sightings near Devils Punchbowl. Around high peaks I've seen a bird that I had never seen anywhere else - Clark's Nutcracker.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Coyotes are everywhere you look. I've had good luck in early morning hours.

Deer are fairly common. I see a lot of them at dusk. I even see them at Griffith Park.

I've had several bear encounters, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern. You could just wait by a dumpster...

I've seen Big Horn Sheep several times, usually in rocky, inaccessible areas. PM me if you're interested, I won't list the areas here because their may be poachers out there.

Foxes are pretty rare. I saw one once years ago in the Crystal Lake area, but they're pretty reclusive.

Never seen a mountain lion. Not sure I want to.

Saw a bobcat once down by San Diego.

For skunks, you could come over to my front yard ... I've seen them twice in the last four weeks. :lol:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I once sighted the rare California moose on the summit of Mt. Baldy.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I hope she doesn't where those during hunting season :?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I should let Laura say it herself, but don't shoot the moose -- you'll only make her mad. :)
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Bighorn Sheep are incredible to see when you find them. Here are some photos: bighorn

Deer, coyote, bear, and bobcats are fairly common. I believe that foxes are common but nocturnal. We see lots of evidence of fox in the foothills where I live (they are locally common.)

We saw a ringtail once at my house, too. However, these guys are much more secretive.
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Hi, I really appreciate everyone sharing the different types of animals you guys have seen in the San Gabriels. I myself have actually seen several animals, deer, coyotes, snakes, and I was even lucky enough to see a bobcat crossing the Angeles Crest highway just before Islip Saddle in the middle of the day. I posted this wildlife question, basicaly to find out what others have seen while hiking locally.........since I've actually been told by other hikers on the trail that there is hardly any wildlife in the local mountians anymore.........One guy I talked to near Mount Wilson told me that were no bears anymore in the San Gabriels. This made me curious to find out if that was true..........After reading about all these sightings, I'm convinced that that guy didn't have a clue about what he was talking about :D !!!!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I've seen two bears since early 2003. One was near Claremont on Potato Mountain, and the other one was in last October on Manker Cutoff Road, near the ski lifts for Baldy.

Lotsa boids. (Joizey accent)

A handful of rams. I'm not good at spotting these guys, despite being a hunter (OH NOES!) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . I guess I fail. :lol:

Lotsa vato's and esse's around east and west fork. :evil:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

brian90620 wrote:One guy I talked to near Mount Wilson told me that were no bears anymore in the San Gabriels. This made me curious to find out if that was true..........After reading about all these sightings, I'm convinced that that guy didn't have a clue about what he was talking about :D !!!!
There are irregular reports -- maybe 1 or 2 per year - in local newspapers of bears wandering into backyards in Azusa, Monrovia, etc. A couple of years ago there was a report of an attack. There are certainly bears in the San Gabriels.

From the LA Times:
With the forest so close, there's plenty of wildlife around. Black bears in particular seem attracted to Monrovia. The Monrovia Police Department, citing the state Department of Fish and Game, said bear sightings are more frequent in Monrovia than in any other Los Angeles County city. One bear, Samson, became famous in 1994 for his penchant for lounging in backyard hot tubs. The city has made it illegal to feed the bears.
From the San Gabriel Valley Daily Tribune:
Article Published: Monday, August 18, 2003 - 10:50:22 PM PST

Menacing bear killed
2 attacks reported at campsite during July
By Diana L. Roemer, Staff Writer

Shane Henry
Shane Henry headed to 'Little Jimmy' campground in the San Gabriel Mountains last July 3rd. After setting his pack on a picnic table he was knocked over by a bear attempting to get his pack. (Staff photo by Greg Andersen)
ANGELES NATIONAL FOREST -- A bear that attacked a hiker and a Girl Scout troop to get their food was trapped and killed by officers at a mountain campsite, officials said Monday.

California Department of Fish and Game officials said they set a trap for the animal July 30 after receiving two July reports about a "vicious' California Black Bear knocking down campers to get their food at Little Jimmy Campground, off Angeles Crest (2) Highway north of Azusa.

A reportedly healthy bear believed to be the culprit because of a description given by campers was killed July 31 by Fish and Game officers after he was trapped, said California Fish and Game spokeswoman Lorna Bernard.

No one was seriously injured in the July 3 and July 23 attacks, which Bernard said are the first reported attacks in California since 2001.

But the July 23 attack was called "vicious' and "disturbing' by campers who witnessed it.

A group of Girl Scouts, along with an off-duty U.S. Forest Service employee and his wife, were preparing to camp at the remote site, said Martin Wall, a Fish and Game patrol officer.

Campers reported a bear came crashing into their site.

"A small, brown (colored) bear ... entered the camp and proceeded to 'attack' anything and everything manmade,' Wall said the campers told him. The bear approached with its head down while making a low- pitched moaning sound, Wall wrote in his report.

In the earlier reported attack, Pasadena backpacker Shane Henry, 31, decided to settle at the campground at about 8 p.m.

Three minutes after he set his backpack on a picnic table he heard movement behind him.

"I was knocked down. The bear was standing over me, he ambled over to my pack and started to drag it away,' Henry said. "I think that campground was his haunt.'

Henry, who said he received bruises from the attack, got to his feet, yelled, shouted and threw rocks at the 6-foot-tall bear he estimated at 300 pounds, to make him give back the backpack.

Eventually the bear let go of the pack, which contained peanut butter and honey sandwiches packed in plastic bags, Henry said. Henry retrieved it, saying he wasn't scared, just mad. But he went home that night, he said.

Henry said he talked to Wall about the incident. "In talking to Fish and Game, apparently that's happened before at that campground. There's been bears there rooting through people's stuff,' he said.

U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman Gail Wright said throwing rocks at a bear is not behavior officials recommend. "I wouldn't wrestle with a bear,' Wright said.

She said people need to be extremely cautious, especially with food. There are about 200 bears throughout the forest, she said.

About 35,000 bears are in the state's forests, Bernard said, the most in the state's history. Only 11 bear attacks since 1980 have been reported in California.

But Wall and other officials say that bear's behavior was too unusual. "This is a bear that's gone a step further ... a little proactive in the food-gathering process,' Wall said.

"What if a little kid had a sandwich in his hand ... he'd knock the kid down, take the sandwich and maybe the hand ... he doesn't care.'
Just remember that the US Constitution does not guarantee the right to arm bears. :)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Thank God we have TDR looking out for our rights (and our lefts). :lol: :lol: :lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I have less guns than fingers now! I am fail. :?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I support your right to arm bears (or to bare arms for that matter).
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

about an hour before the sun comes up is a good time
its better to walk alone so you are quieter

ive seen bighorn sheep up on the cliffs near swan rock [east for san gabriel river]

a bobcat walked thru my camp at spruce grove trail camp [chantry flats]

a coyote jumped up on my car window passenger side and looked in
when i pulled over to smoke a bowl one night..it was kinda cool [manker flats]

i seen a bear at fellows camp [rip] azuza
eating some trash

also a bear stole my ice chest full of beer and carne asada
at chilao campground.i turned my back to pick up firewood
and it was gone.i seen drag marks going to the bushes so i followed
and about 10 yards away the bear was eating my fosters beer can
and chewing ice..those guys are snaeky and quick
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

friendowl wrote:also a bear stole my ice chest full of beer and carne asada
at chilao campground.i turned my back to pick up firewood
and it was gone.i seen drag marks going to the bushes so i followed
and about 10 yards away the bear was eating my fosters beer can
and chewing ice..those guys are snaeky and quick
That was just me in a bear suit.

Thanks for the beer!

Carne asada -- mmmmm! :D :D :D
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Saw a bunch of Bighorn heading up aorund the summit of Harwood the other day.
Rick M

Post by Rick M »

Sure fire way is to sleep on a picnic table in a mummy bag. I did so cause I didn't want to start a trip out the next morning. Awoke face to face with a raccoon with others tugging at my bag (it was actually kind of scary).

Also had this happen in Yellowstone but with a bear and a similar thing happened at Mt Rainier with two irate females :lol: