Timber and IceHouse 12/4

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

What a pleasant day in Gabes. I had not been near (r)Ice House in a while. And with all the foot traffic, it seemed like the place to go if you don't have your waterproof boots yet. When we started at 7, I was astonished to see a forest service lady taking surveys, just before walking straight into digital walk counter thing. It is amazing how much that has changed, with the parking lot hut. Anyways, it was typical traffic up to the wilderness border.
I noticed a lot of birds. Juncos and tits(chickadees?) were eating the crushed pine nuts hikers had crushed on the trail.
After topping out Timber, the snow began to fall for about two hours, on and off. Baldy was snowing.
Then we went down to Chapman trail, where we didn't see anyone. It was perfect, short showers of rain, singing birds, and the occasional noises from the canyon. Today I saw the most variety of birds I have seen in one standing view. It was like a birders dream. Red- and white-breasted nuthatch, stellers, jays, blues, tits, and nut crackers. A falcon flew by soon after, along with a couple ravens.
After getting back, I tried to find those climbing boulders behind some private property near the elementary school. I have only heard of them. we searched and searched. Anyone know where these boulders are and if they are worth it? Thanks.

cookymunga
being bald would have been fun
birds, uh.!