Register Ridge Harwood Baldy 11-24-2010

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Register Ridge to Harwood then over to Baldy, down the rim of the bowl to main trail back to car.

Snow was all the way down to parking lot when we arrived - icy on the black top.

Crampons needed from 1/3 the way up register ridge until we came all the way back around to Ski Hut - extremely icy on the upper ridge area below Harwood - ran across soft snow, iced over snow, ice under the snow and some drifts that we post holed through.

Not a cloud in the sky when we started, stayed sunny all day until we hit the last saddle on the south end of the ridge over the south end of the bowl, cloudy pea soup misty stuff had been pushing in from the San Gabriel Valley, Upland area all morning, from the minute we dropped below the rim of the bowl it snowed all the way to the car, not thick, just that fine drifty wet snow that puts small layer over everything.

Winter conditions can be found out there, upper part of the bowl was getting sunshine all morning so there's patches of dirt showing, thus some rock fall - one more good storm and we should be good to start hitting the bowl :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Pictures here
norma r

Post by norma r »

Pretty day! Nice pre-turkey binge workout. Glad to see there is still rime on the trees and it still looks like winter. Yippee! :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I was thinking of you while I was on Ontario Peak, Patrick! :-)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi Patrick,
It looked like we missed each other at the summit. It was very cold at Manker around 6:00 am. It was very cold and windy,over 50mph, at the saddle and the summit. I ran into Frank just below Ski hut. Richard and I stayed at the summit only 5-7 minutes because it was very cold and windy.

We gave up climbing the bowl today but I spotted one climber on right side of face around 11:00am, hope he made it all right.

As you pointed out that snow condition was very bad with mixed with frozen old snow,iced over,fresh snow,and falling rim ice. Please take crampons,poles,and helmet for your safety.

There were many falling sharp rocks on the Mt. Baldy road so be careful.

Have a nice weekend.

Shin
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

Shin,
It is always nice to see you. Happy Thanksgiving. It must have been windy up there on the ridge.

This video is over towards Thunder Mountain, but all the ridges looked the same, wind blown snow. Also there were some very large ice chunks blowing off the trees.
norma r

Post by norma r »

snmtbaldy wrote:As you pointed out that snow condition was very bad with mixed with frozen old snow,iced over,fresh snow,and falling rim ice. Please take crampons,poles,and helmet for your safety.
Aye! Seems i chipped a bone in my left elbow from a slip last weekend when i didn't have crampons. It's not bothering me much unless i try (unlady-like so) to place my elbows on the table. :P

Aye again to helmets. DG took a rime ice missle in the face last year. His face survived minus a bit of blood but his expensive sunglasses didn't. :(

p.s. i know we all know, but if you take your 'pons take your axe. like peas and carrots.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Aye, Norma. Peas n' carrots. Good way of putting it. Sorry to hear about your bone chipping. Hey, less weight to take up next time. ;-)