Another Baldy Trip Report 11-22-10

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I have been trying to hike new peaks and explore other places, but I couldn't resist checking out the snow from the weekend storms. I had to work for a few hours in the AM, but after a stop at Chipotle on Mountain Ave, I arrived at Manker Flats at 11:45. It was warm for the first few miles of the hike and the snow was melting rapidly. The fire road was a stream of melting snow and ice. At about 7500' I entered into the clouds and as I ascended higher I began to see everything plastered in rime ice.

As I neared the Ski Hut, I was finally out of the clouds and could see the bowl and surrounding ridges. I met Greg and Matt from Long Beach near the ridge where they were taking a break after snowshoeing up from the hut. I also saw 2 other guys across the canyon descending the Bear Canyon trail.

As I continued higher the rime became thicker and thicker. There wasn't really a lot of snow, maybe 6" or so, but the ice was covering everything. There was a good layer of ice under most of the snow and most of the rocks were covered in ice as well.

A few hundred feet from the summit I met a guy named Bow or Bou??? from Santa Monica. He had came up from Bear Canyon and was descending the ski hut trail. The wind on the summit wasn't too bad, but it was very cold. It was nice and clear up high, but there were clouds at about 8000' that blocked most of the views except for the higher peaks in the area.

After a few minutes on top I started heading down. I caught up to Greg, Matt and Bow a mile or so before the fire road and we all descended through the clouds together, reaching the trail head about 20 minutes after dark. I gave the guy that started in Bear Canyon a lift back to his car then headed for home.

I uploaded more pictures to my Picasa page.

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Simply beautiful photos!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

TacoDelRio wrote:Simply beautiful photos!
I second that!
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi Hvydrt,
Thanks for your very good trail report and photos.
shin
James

Post by James »

Absolutely stunning photos! Thanks for sharing. Chomping at the bit to get up there!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Very nice...but what's all that white stuff? :wink:
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt :D :shock:

And the photos are great - "it's starting to look a lot like (Christmas) winter" :D
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

UNREAL PHOTOS! I'm absolutely amazed. I NEED to finish grad school ASAP and get up there! thanks for posting!
simonov

Post by simonov »

Nunc est bibendum
norma r

Post by norma r »

A perfect day! Awesome photos! :D Nothing like beautiful rime iced trees and a bright blue background. Also, love the hikers on the ridge and the clouds beyond. Thanks for sharing!
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Wow, great shots! I've been up Baldy numerous times but never in conditions anywhere close to that. The summit plaque shot in your album is awesome.

Don't know if this is thread worthy or not, so I'll ask here. How do you get started in these types of hikes? Obviously crampons and an axe, and the know-how to use them, right? If I could do even just one hike like this it'd make my year. Any suggestions?
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Nice pix, Mark. Thanks for sharing!
mve

Post by mve »

Man what a beauty!
He219

Post by He219 »

Great photos, Mark!
I'm thinking this is going to be a niice winter ...
:D
Madrox

Post by Madrox »

WOW, Those are some great photos. Looks Awesome up there.