Cortelyou Spring Crag & Mt. Islip: 11-06-2010

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hiked up to Islip and beyond with AW today. Very windy, but the temperature was perfect for hiking - nice and cool. Never got really cold except just before dawn and when it was really windy. Interesting clouds due to the cold front moving through.

Started at Islip Saddle, walked east on the ACH to Cortelyou Spring. From there we headed up the gully behind the spring to Spring Crag and then kept going cross-country all the way up to Mt. Islip. From there we headed east to Windy Gap (indeed) and continued on the PCT to near Mt. Hawkins. Then went on a cross-country descent route along a barren ridge down to the ACH about 2.5 miles east of Islip Saddle. Strolled along the road to get back to the car. I forgot to put my MisAdventure Pass on the rear view mirror so I had a ticket on my windshield! :oops:

Lots of hunters traipsing around looking for things to shoot - heard some shooting nearby and in the distance. Saw only 2 other hikers. Coincidence?

Pics.

AW barely, but successfully, avoided summiting Islip by not actually standing on the high point rock. A true NHPS'er.

Desert view...

Although we left Taco in Azusa, we spotted him approaching Triplets from the north...

Thanks again for a great hike AW! Sorry about running you over...
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nice!

Those pics make me regret bailing.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

HikeUp-
I've heard that if you call ANF and let them know you have an adventure pass, they will let you out of the ticket...

Great pics! How strong was the wind?
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Here is what I was told by a ranger at the Mt. Baldy Visitors Center years ago. If you forget your pass, hike anyway. If you get a ticket, there is a place to write in the pass number that will excuse you. I don't know if this is true anymore.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

nice looking ridges!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

There are other easy ways out of a ticket. I won't post them online.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Approximate trace of our route...

The "ticket" is a Notice of Required Fee. It is not a parking ticket and no fine has been assessed. They want me to mail them a check or money order for $5, or buy it online at ... www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/

No apparent place on the notice or return envelope to write in a pass number, but it does say that I can attach a written notice why I think the notice was issued in error. Or I can call a number on the above website to resolve the issue. There's language on the website blah blah blah.

I'll give them a call and let them know I had an annual pass and forgot to display it or something like that. Perhaps I was distracted by a grizzly bear, heavily armed dudes in camouflage, mutant yellow-bellied frog legs, etc.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

As described....the ridge down to the highway was burnt in the curve fire of 2002 and still to this day was affected. Loose soil, downed trees, etc that made the ridge an explore route with several large switchbacks and not something that will be popular anytime soon. We took notice(avoided) of some pine saplings that were planted in mass and had grown to less than 1ft.

Spring crag -western face ...approx 100ft tall

Top of spring crags

Brief flat section on tributary ridge to Islip NW ridge

PCT

Windy Gap#4

Descending, and about where we left the ridge

Twin Peaks west ridge pk 5014 from ACH
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice pics dude.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Called the number on the "Notice of Required Fee", told the guy that I had an annual pass but had forgot to display it. He told me to make a copy of the pass and enclose it with the Notice in the return envelope and mail it in.

Voila!

Then he said don't go to Triplet Rocks. Or Bare Mtn. Or Idlehour Camp.

Not sure what he was referring to.

*shrug*

Maybe he was a USC fan.

So confused.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

If I recall correctly from the old Angeles Forest website, Idlehour Camp was listed as 'open'. I'm not one for online rants; I feel like I've been transported onto Bizarro World trying to find ANY useful information on the new ANF site. It really blows dogs. The old site may have been a bit outdated in spots, but it was comprehensive in its treatment of the facilities of the Angeles.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Elwood wrote: Idlehour Camp was listed as 'open'.
Yeah I vaguely remember that, but I also remember that at the same time the trail to get there was posted as closed since the trail forms the boundary of the closure area. I could be remembering wrongly. Don't care. I was joking anyway. :wink: