Molle Vest?

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
obie

Post by obie »

Is it worth it to build up a day pack for San Gabs off the Molle Vest platform?

Got a buddy who imports them and he has a pretty slick setup with a small pack and pouches. Like the all-around fit of those vests and ability to change things around for seasons/length of hike.

Does anyone use one hiking or just shooting?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Guess it all depends on the end-use. Modular stuff like that is real good for making your gear mission-specific, but I don't think I'd carry it unless I planned on a really "exciting" hike. ;-)

My packs that I use have PALS webbing (same webbing slots on MOLLE) that allow one to put whatever pouches they deem necessary on the pack, which is a nice feature.

One thing I might add is that I personally don't find a load bearing vest to be as good in the mountains as belt kit is, as the vest tends to be a bit more constricting. Maybe a small chest harness would be good? SAR dudes and dudettes use them for radios.

Cheers
obie

Post by obie »

TacoDelRio wrote: .

One thing I might add is that I personally don't find a load bearing vest to be as good in the mountains as belt kit is, as the vest tends to be a bit more constricting. Maybe a small chest harness would be good? SAR dudes and dudettes use them for radios.

Cheers
Thanks. My buddy's frame of reference is LE and range apps. We're trying to get in under $50. for a strong, light and sharp looking day setup.

The slots are the key for me at this point. I'll check out the PALS setups and see how readily avail. and expensive they are.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

It would be hard to find a quality setup for $50, unless you bought it used, and from a friend. Gear is real expensive. A good vest (one that can carry hard and soft armor) goes from $150-350 bucks on average.

Condor Tactical is cheap. They used to be complete and utter worthless trash, but apparently they're much better now. I believe they're made in the People's Republic of China.
obie

Post by obie »

He's showing me the 'good stuff' on Ebay for the vest only. Maybe $35..mostly used in 'excellent' cond.

He has plenty of pouches from Eagle and the like, so they would be about $2-3 each and maybe a canteen size pouch for $5.

I look at the pics of you folks out there on the hill and most got stuff dangling all over their waist belts and shoulder straps, so I'm thinking Molle is already setup for that and if I can buy good used stuff I can save some dough.

Plus, do some plinking and I got a range vest too.

Will check out Condor. Thx.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Ah Ebay, there ya go!

Cool beans. Post up some pics when you get it set up.