Falling Fir Ridge on Ontario Peak

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

On Saturday, Patrick and I scrambled up Falling Fir Ridge on Ontario Peak. Though it is a cross-country route involving some class 3 groveling, we did follow a game trail for a while. Actually, we followed two Bighorn Sheep up the trail. I think they bailed before the summit, though.

Some photos and details are on my blog.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Sam, that was a fun morning, the Big Horn added to the fun, thanks for sharing the pictures. Hope you get out again soon - in-between the music sets :D

Just a note to anyone not aware of it - it's hunting season for the next month, we did see a man out with at least three guns between Ice House Saddle heading out towards Kelly's Camp - said he was after Deer and Bears - so if you hear gun shots it's not your imagination, just a heads up for safety's sake, not making a judgment call :shock:
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Nice work, guys--FFR sure is a fun hike! Sam, it's good to see that you're getting out again. Patrick, not another camera casualty?
Surprised to see the amount of snow still remaining up there. I had thought that it would have been gone by the weekend.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Dave G wrote:Nice work, guys--FFR sure is a fun hike! Sam, it's good to see that you're getting out again. Patrick, not another camera casualty?
Surprised to see the amount of snow still remaining up there. I had thought that it would have been gone by the weekend.
Same camera, just a little reminder that I have to take a search party up there and keep looking.

That camera tumbled out of my attached pouch when I tried to pull the zipper closed after taking a great shot of Sam "topping out" on the last Bowl Climb we did last spring - had I made any attempt to stop it, they would have been carrying what was left of me off the base of the bowl, we were in the steepest part when it happened and all I could do was watch as it bounced like one of those boulders that fly down that face bumping into each little outcropping - it was a week old so this one hurt, it was only a point and shoot, now it's a "Bounce and Tumble" model :shock: Some day some cave man will find it and he will look at all his tribe and say "WTF is this" :D

If anyone every finds it, please post the great picture of Sam topping out on the Ridge of Baldy Bowl :roll:
norma r

Post by norma r »

Welcome back to elevation Sam! Nice hike guys. I look forward to sharing many fun snow climbs with you all this winter.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Bet it wasn't class 3 for them critters!
Sure was surprised at the snow remaining on the trail... :shock: