Very dark sunglasses

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I'm looking for recommendations for good shades. My eyes are very sensitive to bright sunlight (I get an eye exam every year, and they're completely healthy, I'm just fussy I guess)

Anything off the shelf at REI isn't going to cut it. I have decided I'm a special case. I was thinking the winter mountaineering types out there might have some ideas, since the glare off snow is about as bad as it gets. I think any lenses that are "not recommended for driving" would be a good place to start.

I really dig side shields too. The best pair I've had so far was a pair of Julbo Sherpas, I think. All my sunglasses meet the same fate of being broken or lost in the wilderness. Can't tell you where those ones ended up, but I miss them.

What are your favorites?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

FWIW the eye shields for the Julbos are held on with little plastic "claws", if you will, which break rather easily.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

My doc told me I needed some darker glasses because I was showing sun damage in my eyes.

I picked up some Maui Jim's at A16 on sale. Much darker. No side shields though.

Julbos are way dark. Not all Julbo models have plastic "claws". Some have leather side shields.

HJ
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote:Image
Hey, Zé, nice photo of CM. :wink: :lol:

HJ
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I second HJ's Maui Jim recommendation for the same reasons (eye sun damage). My prescription Maui Jim shades are very dark and very comfortable.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Maui Jim is a liar and a traitor.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Maui Jim is Hikin Jim's nefarious, rum swilling twin brother then?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Check out Cocoons. They're intended as overglasses, but some of the models are narrow. They are durable and have a good warranty.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

cougarmagic wrote:Maui Jim is Hikin Jim's nefarious, rum swilling twin brother then?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

cougarmagic wrote:Maui Jim is Hikin Jim's nefarious, rum swilling twin brother then?
Yes, but we try not to talk about it; I mean talk about the proverbial black sheep. :oops: To make matters worse, he hangs out with some rule-breaking, photo takeing roughian named Jake or something. I hear that Jake guy will hike just about anywhere.

HJ