Tour de 39

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

I rode my bike up the closed portion of Hwy 39 to Angeles Crest Hwy, with a side trip to do a little exploring at Crystal Lake. As a kid, I used to camp there a lot, but it's probably been 30 years since my last visit. They really have that place spiffed up with new restrooms and whatnot and the road doesn't look too awful bad up to that point--what's the deal with re-opening it? I'd really like to take my kids up there and show them. Maybe they could just open it to folks from the SGMDF so it doesn't get trashed so fast? 8)
Pix are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042415@N ... 969762403/
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I know a guy who is part of the road crew. He's mentioned two things:
1) The lower road still needs some work to make it structurally sound.
2) The work on the upper road is going really slowly. The rock has been far harder than anticipated to work with.
3) Rumor has it that Caltrans is running out of $$'s and that more $$'s are unlikely to be forthcoming.

HJ
obie

Post by obie »

That's a great MTB climb. The looks of things up near Islip make me think it's going to be awhile before that section is safe for 4 wheelers. Nice pics.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Damn it Dave you just set the project back another 23.5 years.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

yes! i love that climb (and swim). upper 39 shoulder never be reopened (talk about wasted $$$ )
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote: upper 39 shoulder never be reopened (talk about wasted $$$ )
That's pretty much the opinion of the friend I have on the road crew. He says that even if they make the best road bed in the world, the rockfall will be a perpetual problem. It will be more like playing Russian Rockette than a nice drive in the woods.

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nice photos, Dave. 8)