Just say no to cranky Sierra Clubbers?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
simonov

Post by simonov »

From RickG's photo album, the register at Cucamonga:

Transcript: "Mountain hikes are fun! Enjoy the ride, love the land, and just say 'No!' to cranky and sour Sierra Club old poops!"

I have my own theories, but would anyone like to take a stab at what this is all about?
Nunc est bibendum
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Not enough fiber?
Travis

Post by Travis »

I have seen a number of stickers with anti-sierra club sayings such as this. It seems someone has a major grudge against Sierra Club, maybe the same person who is destroying the summit registers. Many of the stickers had spelling and grammar errors.

I tried to attach a file with a picture of another one, but I got an error.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Haha, I remember those. :lol:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

simonov wrote:I have my own theories...
Your turn. :D
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

yeah what was your theory?
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

The Sierra Club is very pro wilderness. Wilderness forbids mountain biking.
Therefore (where's the symbol for those stacked cannonballs therefore symbol?) MTBers tend to be anti Sierra Club.
I'm a member of both sides.
simonov

Post by simonov »

wrote:yeah what was your theory?
My theory? My theory is simple. Sierra Clubbers are (sweeping generalization coming) bitter and cranky.

When I patrolled San Gorgonio for the Forest Service, there were two kinds of groups we didn't enjoy meeting: Boy Scout troops and Sierra Club groups. The problem we had with the Boy Scouts is that many of the hikes were led by incompetent leaders who often made it tougher than necessary on the boys, and also allowed the kids to run wild, spoiling the wilderness for other campers.

But for some reason the Sierra Club groups were almost always snotty and aloof around us. Maybe they didn't like uniforms. We were up there doing God's work, after all, so far as they were concerned. But they were always crabby and mean.

I know a handful of members of the Orange County Hiking Club who joined that more relaxed organization because they were uncomfortable with the Sierra Club. Somehow, apparently, the Sierra Club managed to squeeze all the joy and exhilaration out of mountain hiking.

But otherwise I've never had anything to do with the Sierra Club, aside from cooking pancakes at the Ski Hut and flouting their "NO STOVES" signs in the process.
Nunc est bibendum
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

FWIW, I have encountered Sierra Club groups in places like (believe it or not) the Sierra and generally found them to be as friendly as anyone else. The Sierra Clubbers I have run into at the Baldy Ski Hut on occasion have been very friendly. Admittedly, I was not wearing a uniform on any of these occasions. :)
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

AlanK wrote:FWIW, I have encountered Sierra Club groups in places like (believe it or not) the Sierra and generally found them to be as friendly as anyone else. The Sierra Clubbers I have run into at the Baldy Ski Hut on occasion have been very friendly. Admittedly, I was not wearing a uniform on any of these occasions. :)
What Alan said; SC'ers come in all flavors :) . I once joined for a year so I could hike with a friend who was a member, but once I got a look at all friggin' rules and bureaucracy that accompany an outing, I opted out. I understand their liability issues, but one of my main reasons for going to the mountains is to escape this type of clutter 8) .
simonov

Post by simonov »

Dave G wrote:once I got a look at all friggin' rules and bureaucracy that accompany an outing, I opted out. I understand their liability issues, but one of my main reasons for going to the mountains is to escape this type of clutter 8) .
I think that might be behind the note Rick G found in the can on Cucamonga.
Nunc est bibendum
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I've seen several notes bitching about or at the Sierra Club. No opinion on who it is other than I imagine it isn't just from a single source.

On Josephine Peak ("Sierra Club - Please don't be hypocritical. Stop polluting the mountains with your gas-guzzling SUV's - Thank you")...

Many, many register entries bitching about Mars Bonfire too (this seems somewhat personal!)...

Oft seen register entry about the HPS peak list...
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Silly people, the lot of them.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Dave G wrote:What Alan said; SC'ers come in all flavors :) . I once joined for a year so I could hike with a friend who was a member, but once I got a look at all friggin' rules and bureaucracy that accompany an outing, I opted out. I understand their liability issues, but one of my main reasons for going to the mountains is to escape this type of clutter 8) .
I have to agree with Dave about too much fine print. I suppose that one of our informal group hikes will end up i a lawsuit some day, but I am enjoying them until that sad day arrives. :cry: