Question of the Day

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Gozerian138

Post by Gozerian138 »

I have always wondered and I figure somebody on this forum must know:

Who makes sure that there are summit registers on the local peaks?
What happens to the registers (notebooks) when all of the pages are full?

Just wondering..
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

simonov

Post by simonov »

Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I think a lot of old registers "wander off" never to be found, but many do make it back to the Hundred Peaks Section which is typically quite diligent about maintaining registers on our local peaks -- where they can. On more popular peaks, people will vandalize registers. Sad but true. An Eagle Scout put beautiful new register boxes on the "Nine Peaks" of the San Gorgonio Wilderness with the permission of and in cooperation with the USFS, but with in a year or so someone had smashed off the lid off of the ammo box and scattered the contents. On more remote peaks, only serious hikers get out that far, and those registers can go back years and years.

HJ
simonov

Post by simonov »

Hikin_Jim wrote:On more remote peaks, only serious hikers get out that far, and those registers can go back years and years.
Once around 1990 I wandered up to the top of Grinnel Mountain from Fish Creek Saddle in the San Gorgonio Wilderness and was a little surprised to find a register can there. Looking inside, I found a register that dated back to the 1970s.
Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

There's a gentleman named Cy Kaicener (who posts here on on occasion) who's business card from the 60's was found recently in a remote peak register. Another entry by Cy was found about a month ago on a "peak" that was at one time on the HPS list but was later replaced by another high spot on the same ridge. Those entries lay awaiting discovery somewhere around 35 years. Who knows what's out there?

HJ
Yamaya

Post by Yamaya »

the bankroft library at uc berkeley collects historical summit registers (mainly sierra nevada mountains), register containers, and articrafts.