Fish Fork Canyoneering

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm no good at writing trip reports. I'm kinda sick of it. I'd rather read than write.

I'll keep it simple. Zach wanted to check out Fish Fork, which runs from the base of the north face of Baldy west to its confluence with East Fork SGR. I wanted to go with, so badabing badaboom, off we went.

We started near Lupine CG, I think, near the base of the Slide Zone face on Pine Mtn. Hiked in to Upper Fish Fork CG. Beautiful area, very clean!!!! We started our trip down canyon and met our first waterfall and rappel a while down. I don't remember how far, far enough I guess.

Absolutely beautiful.

We rapped off two sets of oooooold webbing.

We then reached a lagoon awhile later.

Then, even more while later, it was getting dark. I shoulda slowed down and we shoulda picked a bivy spot, but I wanted to get as far down the cyn as possible.

The last sight of the day, a series of waterfalls.

Zach and I turned back and we started looking for a suitable bivy spot. Zach found one up a hill, and we settled in.

In the morning, we went to that series of waterfalls.

That's an old static rope stuck in there.

What's left of said rope

Zach on rap

Awesome pothole

We came across another set of falls.

And another

Then it levelled out for awhile, with lots of low growth and whatnot.

Then we reached the biggest falls. I was motivated until I kept checking it out.

Old webbing

The top

I felt incredibly uneasy about this one. I went down first, and our 60m rope made it to the bottom, though I wouldn't suggest a rope any shorter.

Upon reaching the bottom, I was soaked, wearing my BDU top and bottom, and with a soaked pack that now weighed around 50lbs in the water and not a heck of a lot less out of water. I got off rope in the cold water and tried to swim, but the pack was screwing me up. I removed my pack and tried swimming, but the current was pulling me towards the waterfall. I didn't want my pack to get sucked in and just flail about near the falls. I became exhausted quickly, so I got back on the rope and clipped my pack into a knot I formed on the rope. I set a prussik to hold me in, and made an aid step with another larger knot on the rope below my belay device. I was able to climb up just high enough to get 99% of my body out of the water. The prussik slowly slipped until my ass and back were in the water. Without a chest harness, I couldn't stay up without getting tired., so I would alternate by leaning back, my pack sternum strap clicked in around the rope when I had my pack on. I alternated by clipping the pack to my haul loop on my harness and sitting on my pack, which helped a bit.

By this time I had blown my whistle three times to tell Zach I wasn't OK. I also yelled a lot, expressing the fact that I felt I was quite fucked in my current situation, unable to swim or move beyond my position without basically drowning. We couldn't communicate effectively next to that damn waterfall (no radios, go ahead and grill me about it I don't give a shit). Zach asked if I wanted to call 911 on the SPOT GPS, and I said yes.

The falls. I was stuck on the right side where the wet and dry parts of the wall meet.

Zach left his pack at the top and went into rescue mode, up and over a ridge and around the falls, ending up downstream. He climbed up a rappel and over to me where he swam to grab me and help me. Zach is a very strong swimmer. He pulled me back by the rope and I was able to reach dry land. Zach gave me a huge hug and he was very glad I was OK, though I was incredibly cold, shaking violently, and my skin was turning white at the joints, and my feet were numb. My thoughts were moving real slow. I guess that's hypothermia. Whatever it was, it sucked. Cold as hell, it's called. I changed my clothes into mostly dry layers (thanks to my bivy bag!), and we rapped the thing he climbed up, which was impressive. That's rescue mode!

Exceptionally cold.

What Zach climbed up.

UH1

We hiked to a scree slope, where Zach had descended. I waited there while he hiked back to the top of the falls to retrieve his pack. A Huey rescue helo flew over and I signaled. After a few passes, a Blackhawk spotted me. They lowered their Rescue dude and we communicated and dealt with the cable. Commo was bad between the SAR dude on the ground and the helo, so they lowered too much cable. He sorted it out. My pack was too heavy to be lifted into the helo, so I had a minute to get my wallet, keys, and phone into my Pelican Case.

We clipped in and lifted up. It was pitch black at the time, and we ended up hitting our heads on what I'm assuming was a pine tree pretty high up. It was kinda neat to be in a helo. We got to Brackett Field in P-town in no time flat, going 100 knots in a straight line. Sure beats driving through Azusa. I was very happy to see Zach in the office when I arrived. He apparently got picked up first, as he was on a knife edge ridge in plain view.

Now, we're here. I hope my TR works for you. I enjoy writing, but I can't express any of my thoughts of emotions well using words, which is unendingly frustrating. I know I missed some parts, but that's all part of how my brain works, or doesn't. To be able to tell what happens anywhere at any time, you simply have to be there.

Bottom line, this is a very long canyon. It would've taken us 3 days. We may have started late (on purpose) on day 1, but it still would've taken forever. Since we found ZERO beta/info on this canyon, we went in with what truly belongs in a trip, what planned trips you know everything about lack: the unknown. The unknown is the very f@$%ing soul of an adventure. To do something you know everything about, a million times, doesn't tend to be good for the brain. The brain needs new problems to solve. You can only walk around the block at home so many times before you realize, hey, this shit is boring.

Might not work for everyone, but at least I'm not everyone. I despise doing the same route multiple times.

Anywho, it's a big canyon. Cheers, all. I appreciate the concern for our safety! That's the other big part of mountaineering and stuff... the human element. Caring and friendship, no bullshit.

Here's the gallery: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/T ... sh%20Fork/

They're in reverse order for whatever reason.
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

Incredible story. Glad you are ok.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Dang Taco! Glad it ended up OK!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

wow, awesome & crazy.
TacoDelRio wrote: Bottom line, this is a very long canyon. It would've taken us 3 days. We may have started late (on purpose) on day 1, but it still would've taken forever. Since we found ZERO beta/info on this canyon, we went in with what truly belongs in a trip, what planned trips you know everything about lack: the unknown. The unknown is the very f@$%ing soul of an adventure. To do something you know everything about, a million times, doesn't tend to be good for the brain. The brain needs new problems to solve. You can only walk around the block at home so many times before you realize, hey, this shit is boring.
hell yeah!

why would your backpack weigh too much for the helo? Your weight + pack wouldn't seem to be an absurd amount.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

I'm very relieved to know that your and Zach's clear thinking prevailed here. The situation could have ended somewhat worse. It would be interesting to know what other route, technique and/or gear choices might have made this a more pleasant experience.
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

Those falls are beautiful!...It is all part of life and mountaineering.Im proud to have such awesome adventurous friends as you and Zach.It takes a strong heart and mind to face such things in life, to get off the beaten trail where majority of society walks in comfort.The only thing I can really say other than that is,I wish I was there,and great pics.The falls are beautiful =)

I'll write the next trip reports,you need a good break and a drive =D
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

Elwood wrote:It would be interesting to know what other route, technique and/or gear choices might have made this a more pleasant experience.

This is just my assumption and thoughts.The route looks beautiful,the technique they both have and well experienced.I would go on the limb to say it was critical to have proper gear,mainly more ropes and wetsuits ,the route was unknown and they were going "on-sight". Personally from hanging out with both of these individuals,they are more than capable in a survival situation.Though in a situation with water,its so hard to prepare properly and bring so much gear,everything gets weighted down as it is.

Ideally from looking at the pics and the info,it would have been ideal to have multiple ropes,at least 1 Static 70M+(climbing rope and 1 small diameter tag/haul line as well),wet suits & wet(canyoneering) bag,ascenders(mechnical block of some sort to ascend the rope or to at least get out of the water etc and not have the prussik slip)

The tag/haul line would be for the wet bag or backpack,or what have you.
They drop down the rappel line.Tie up the tag line to the harness of the first one to rappel and to the backpack or wet bag.First person rappels with backpack and tag line,gets to bottom of falls,into the water,takes pack off in water and lets it go.Swims toward solid ground with just tag line attached,then retrieves bag by pulling tag line to solid ground.( all which is easier said than done)
At the same time its soo hard to really bring so much gear when going into the unknown,ideally you dont want to be weighted down with so many extras.

Thats just my idea,but regardless of any gear ,if someone is in a situation that can cause hyperthermia(even with a wet suit it can happen),or any extreme altercations to someones health in any situation.Its time to bail and seek immediate outside emergency help,which is what happened in this situation I believe.Taco knew what was happening and he is experienced,he knew his only option to stay in good health without having a severe hyperthermic shock was to get rescued ASAP.Zach ATTACK went into action and thank god he had his spot and was in total rescue mode <3
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Elwood wrote:I'm very relieved to know that your and Zach's clear thinking prevailed here. The situation could have ended somewhat worse. It would be interesting to know what other route, technique and/or gear choices might have made this a more pleasant experience.
Somewhat? :lol:

Glad you guys are OK. Glad your SPOT signal was picked up OK from deep down in a canyon.

Fish Fork is one of the great canyons of the local mountains. Beautiful, wild, remote, and with lots of technical challenges. Add to that that you need several days to do it. That last falls was freakin' intimidating. :shock:

Pretty good for a frickin' ice pirate. :wink:

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

wrote:wow, awesome & crazy.
TacoDelRio wrote: Bottom line, this is a very long canyon. It would've taken us 3 days. We may have started late (on purpose) on day 1, but it still would've taken forever. Since we found ZERO beta/info on this canyon, we went in with what truly belongs in a trip, what planned trips you know everything about lack: the unknown. The unknown is the very f@$%ing soul of an adventure. To do something you know everything about, a million times, doesn't tend to be good for the brain. The brain needs new problems to solve. You can only walk around the block at home so many times before you realize, hey, this shit is boring.
hell yeah!

why would your backpack weigh too much for the helo? Your weight + pack wouldn't seem to be an absurd amount.
The dude who was lowered to me said it would be too heavy, and to get whatever small valuables out I could, if possible. The pack was honestly pretty damn heavy. Wet layers, sleeping bag, rope, stove, everything.

What Johnny said is pretty much spot on.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Wow, so "all" I have to do is go down Fish Creek and I get a free backpack and gear? Cool! :lol:

Seriously though, did you guys way point any locations in the canyon? Falls, slots, bowls, etc. Did you get a GPS track? I'm particularly curious how far you guys got after two days.

HJ
Zach

Post by Zach »

I felt quite helpless up there at the top of the falls. I couldn't see what was going on below because the drop was so steep plus with the roaring waterfall it made communication pretty difficult. Radios would have been a great tool. When I asked Taco if I could rap down to him to help him he said, "No, don't do it." This led me to believe that if I went down I would become stuck as well and I had these horrible thoughts that Ryan was being pummeled by the waterfall and was stuck in some weird way and only had minutes to live. I asked him if he could prussic up then if he could drop his pack, finally I told him to just cut the line but he said he couldn't. I was sooooo confused and I couldn't comprehend what the situation was. To be honest he sounded pretty desperate and so I finally asked him if he needed 911 and he said yes so I pressed the Spot GPS. At this point I was almost in tears but I knew I had a job to do. I had no idea if I could climb up and around the canyon or if once I got to the bottom that I'd be able to climb back up the canyon to where he was stuck and since I had no clue as to how severe the situation was I had to assume that things were the worst. I started up the ridge that made one side of the canyon, my thought was that at least I'd be getting a better signal even if I couldn't find a way to reach Ryan. It took me over and hour and half to claw my way through walls of buckthorn, find the scree slope, descend, then climb back up to him. I got up there to find him stranded right next to the falls. A flood of relief washed over me as I saw that he was still alive (God does answer prayers!) and that I could probably extract him without too much trouble. There was a weird back-current that was sucking him towards the waterfall. I was able to swim out to him then drag him, with the rope, to safety. He was probably in the beginning stages of hypothermia so I had him strip down and luckily change into some dry clothes. It was cold in that section of the canyon so I had him keep moving until we reached the sunlit scree slope down-canyon. I told him to stay put and went back for my pack before getting picked up by the helo.
wrote:wow, awesome & crazy.

I think someone was just trying guarantee we'd go back :wink: just kidding!
When they picked me up with that UH-1 they hadn't realized there were 2 people. They spotted me on the ridge and tried to come in close enough to scoop me but the ridge was too steep and their blades were almost touching the higher part of the ridge. I moved higher onto the ridge to a small protruding bump and the next time they came in close I jumped into the helicopter. When I told them Taco was still down in the canyon the door guy seemed surprised. We circled around and I pointed out the black speck at the end of this massive scree field. They tried to descend to get him but something was off, they told me it was too heavy with me on board and that they were going to drop me off at the top of a mountain, pick up Taco, and then come back for me. They looked around for a spot but ended up flying to Brackett to refuel. They went back twice after that to try to rescue him before they switched to the blackhawk. Maybe a combination of elevation with the steep terrain plus nighttime conditions made it difficult. The blackhawk did the trick and Taco walked into the substation around 2130. The end.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Zach wrote: It took me over and hour and half to claw my way through walls of buckthorn, find the scree slope, descend, then climb back up to him.
wow. I didn't realize the time duration of you getting down to him. that must have been quite a time of mental strain for both of you.
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

Zach!
Way to go. Great job dealing with an urgent and dangerous situation. Lots of unknowns there, but you figured it all out as you went along and found a way to get it done. Taco was fortunate to have you up there as his partner. He'll be hiking and climbing again soon.
You're both safe and that's the bottom line. As a friend of mine is fond of saying: "There are results, and then there's everything else".

- Phil
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Whoa! So the chopper made multiple trips, and finally they had to get a Blackhawk*? I had no sense of the time on this. Dang! Taco, you were stuck at the bottom a long freakin' time. No wonder you were getting hypothermia. Dang good idea to get into some dry clothes. If you were able to recover on your own without outside warming, it wasn't life threatening, but it could have become life threatening very quickly.

DANG glad you guys are OK.

HJ

*If a Blackhawk can carry 10+ fully loaded combat troops, why couldn't it take a backpack on board? Maybe the winch wasn't up to snuff?

By the way, were these guys National Guard? Blackhawks are typically military.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

whagarble
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hikin_Jim wrote:*If a Blackhawk can carry 10+ fully loaded combat troops, why couldn't it take a backpack on board? Maybe the winch wasn't up to snuff?

Not sure. This was a Firehawk, modified UH60 for wildfire duty. My friend David had to leave his gear behind when he was medevaced as well.
Zach

Post by Zach »

I was hoping to save that info until after we retrieve the stuff.

On a random note... I came across an OLD plane wreck on that ridge. It was weird.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Glad to hear that this adventure had a good outcome.
Zach~good job being a Useful Engine.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Zach wrote:I was hoping to save that info until after we retrieve the stuff.
No problem of course.

It's hard to imagine anyone doing a multi-day canyoneering trip just to go after the pack. I think you should have plenty of time to retrieve it so long as you do it before the first rains hit.

Even if a person did go after it, how will they carry it out since they'll have to bring their own full pack just to get in there? There might be a way to drop in from Pine Mountain Ridge, but that's a long shot given how deep and rugged Fish Fork is. In fact, it almost sounds like you might need a team of folks to go after it so that you could distribute the load among multiple people. Go team SGMDF!! 8)

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'll be at it before you know it.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Man that is one incredible story. The dangers of hydralics! Taco, when you first got down the drop you got off rappel and then you put yourself back on when you couldn't swim away? Naturally, Zach couldn't have rapped down on the line if you still had it under tension. Was this a double or single strand rappel? If single, how did you block it at the anchor?

I'm wondering if your prusik had not slipped how long you would have been able to hang on your prusik above the water just attached to your seat harness. In my experience, it really starts to hurt after about 15 minutes hanging like that, not to mention the worry of compression syndrome.

The helo rescue as explained by Zach was a big drama in itself as they often are.

Hope you don't mind these questions. But it's a learning opportunity for those who canyoneer.

Just glad you're o.k. and that you had a caring, capable friend as a partner.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Hikin_Jim wrote: It's hard to imagine anyone doing a multi-day canyoneering trip just to go after the pack.
I know you were referring to a thief, but it reminded me of one guy who was wanting to know where some webbing was way out in the remote southwestern desert...interesting discussion at that time,especially since the return trip(leaving no trace) was way harder than going there.

Now that I see the pictures, I will go by someday..its a nice canyon anyways. Just want to keep the wilderness the wilderness ,as much as feasible,and not filled with old webbing just because someone was too lazy otherwise.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Augie wrote: I'm wondering if your prusik had not slipped how long you would have been able to hang on your prusik above the water just attached to your seat harness. In my experience, it really starts to hurt after about 15 minutes hanging like that, not to mention the worry of compression syndrome.
You make a good point there. Lets say he didnt have a knife on him, like it was in the backpack floating away or something. What would you do if you were in Taco's situation and the prussik is jammed? You have no additional supplies other than the clothes you are wearing...and you certainly can not get out of your harness. You are by yourself.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yes, I had to go back on rope to keep myself up. Got real pumped trying to swim. We did a double strand rapp off the 60m dynamic rope. I don't remember how long I was hanging. I don't mind the questions at all. :-)

Hanging in my harness is a special time for me, since it's a Black Diamond Alpine Bod! :-) I put sleeping pad webbing around it a month or two ago, which helps a bit.
Augie

Post by Augie »

TacoDelRio wrote:Yes, I had to go back on rope to keep myself up. Got real pumped trying to swim. We did a double strand rapp off the 60m dynamic rope. I don't remember how long I was hanging. I don't mind the questions at all. :-)

Hanging in my harness is a special time for me, since it's a Black Diamond Alpine Bod! :-) I put sleeping pad webbing around it a month or two ago, which helps a bit.
You tried swimming on your back with your pack? And it sounds like being on the rope kept the hydralic action from moving you towards the waterfall. Regarding my previous comment about you hanging from your prusik above the water, do you think you could have hung there for the hour and a half it took Zach to get to you?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I first tried swimming with my pack on, as I had done previously for very short stretches. Didn't work, so I took that off and swam without it. Too much drag, I'm assuming. It's hard enough swimming in shoes, let alone in the clothes I was wearing. Hard to swim in BDU's.

I hung there the whole time Zach was on his way. Zach's a friggin' champ. I don't think we've got any pics of what he had to climb through, but it was apparently pretty epic.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Dude!
I'm so glad you & zack are ok....

Hydraulics claim many lives in canyons

Cold water will suck the life right out of you...

Those falls sound like a good place for a Guided Rappel, strongest swimmer without a pack down first. Set up the guide line, zip down the packs then rappel the remainder of the group and gear.

3 days was my original estimate.

Please...please ..please
Have Fun!- Be safe!
Matt
whatmeworry

Post by whatmeworry »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Whoa! So the chopper made multiple trips, and finally they had to get a Blackhawk*? I had no sense of the time on this. Dang! Taco, you were stuck at the bottom a long freakin' time. No wonder you were getting hypothermia. Dang good idea to get into some dry clothes. If you were able to recover on your own without outside warming, it wasn't life threatening, but it could have become life threatening very quickly.

DANG glad you guys are OK.

HJ

*If a Blackhawk can carry 10+ fully loaded combat troops, why couldn't it take a backpack on board? Maybe the winch wasn't up to snuff?

If it was the Firehawk it was an LA County Fire Dept. ship. The other copter would have been one of the Bell 412s. Firehawk has more power but, like any helicopter is impacted by temperature and a range of other factors that limit the flight envelope. Depending on how high the hoist was above the ground, the helicopter might have been hovering out of ground effects which means the aircraft is 100% reliant on engine power to provide sufficient umph to the rotors to keep things in the air.

Carrying a big load inside the ship and inserting/extracting while on the ground is a whole different deal than a hoist from hover. If the medic rode up with the victim the weight of 2 people on the hoist may have precluded taking the pack. Crew and aircraft safety are going to be priority. Then the victim(s). Then gear.

Hoist rescues seem straight forward but they are risky business...
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Interesting. Thanks for the insight!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That's a real smart idea, Matt. Going to have to do that next time, if there is a next time.

WhatMeWorry, thanks for the input!