Baldy Dawson Pine and Back

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

I went looking for the turn off to the old logging road the goes down to Fish Fork from the Dawson Pine Saddle.
My plan was to summit Baldy via Ski hut and go down the other side, summit Dawson and follow the trail until I found the cutoff to Fish Fork and then return the same way.

On the way up Baldy I ran into TracieB and asked her if she wanted to join me.

You have to admire someone who, when asked if she wanted to add 2,000 steep loose vertical feet (both down and up), several miles and another few hours to her hike, she says “sure, why not”. No plan, just a smile and “Lets go”.

We dropped down from Baldy and continued on up Dawson, but the trail skirts the Summit and we missed it. Tracie suggested we continue on to Pine since we were there anyway (it looks so close) so we did.
The area is beautiful in all directions and the view down into the mysterious Fish Fork is constant. It was cool when the breeze blew and warm when it was still. The trail is easy to follow and only overgrown in a couple of places.
From Pine we could see the ridge to the Dawson Summit and on our return we made it over and signed the register.

TracieB with Dawson in the back

On the way to Pine I never did spot the logging road to Fish Fork but on the return the road is very easy to spot. Coming from Baldy the sign is hidden by a tree and the road angles away and is hard to spot.

The return to Baldy looks a little tough from a distance. There is a trail in there.

We ended up doing three peaks (Baldy, Dawson, Pine, Baldy twice actually).

It was a great day, thank you Tracie.
norma r

Post by norma r »

:D i'd call that a four peak day. good job! espeically considering the heat.
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Hi Frank, it was nice to meet you and thank you for suggesting the detour :D Shin, sorry I missed your message about meeting at 6:00 instead of 5:00, and Mark, I was looking forward to breakfast on the summit...we didn't know if that was your pack or not!

Asburfa on Pine Mt.:
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

Tracie,
It was a pleasure to meet you and nice to have some company, the conversation made the miles go by quicker.
I hope you made it back in time for dinner.
And don't forget to take the rocks out of your pack before your next hike.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Tracie,

Nice to see you finally got some hiking time in on the N side!
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi Frank and Tracie,
This is a very nice trail report and story about what goes on in our local mountain Mt. Baldy. Hiking together a person you met on the trail,meeting someone face to face finally on the trail, exploring with them for new territory together. I can really feel the sense of community and trust among us who enjoy hiking this area. Does this kind of thing happen in town? Maybe not.

I was behind both of you 15-20 minutes but I couldn't catch up. But I was very glad that both of you had a very good hike/work out and some adventure. All unexpected events turned into something new and good for everyone.
If I caught up with you, the day ended up an another boring hike.
I may try Dawson and Pine when the weather get a bit cooler.

Thank you for your friendship.

Shin
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

snmtbaldy wrote:Hiking together a person you met on the trail,meeting someone face to face finally on the trail, exploring with them for new territory together. I can really feel the sense of community and trust among us who enjoy hiking this area. Does this kind of thing happen in town? Maybe not.

Thank you for your friendship.

Shin
Dude...you rock. I can't wait to say hello some day on the trail!
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

snmtbaldy wrote:Hi Frank and Tracie,

I was behind both of you 15-20 minutes but I couldn't catch up. I may try Dawson and Pine when the weather get a bit cooler.

Shin
Shin, I feel bad for the miscommunication. I waited 10 minutes and then headed up but told the German guy to let you know if he saw you...anyhow, I will be going back to Pine again soon...you would like it, I think it makes a good extension of your weekly Baldy training hikes. There is a nice breeze that blows through the canyon so it really isn't too hot as long as there is breeze.
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

Shin,

Well said.

Sorry we missed you. Let me know when you plan to do Dawson, I would go again.

Like many of us, I enjoy the solitude of hiking alone and often pick trails that are not crowded, but I can go longer with less discomfort if I hook up with someone.

We should thank Ryan. Theses boards play a part in the connections. Not only do they provide us with information about the routes and conditions, we also learn about the people who post.

Taco, you provide a great service…thanks
norma r

Post by norma r »

asbufra wrote: We should thank Ryan. Theses boards play a part in the connections. Not only do they provide us with information about the routes and conditions, we also learn about the people who post.

Taco, you provide a great service…thanks
ditto! :D i've said it similarly before. there are a number of boards out there, but i have found that by far this one is the best! i think its peaceful nature is a direct reflection of the moderator and the people he attracts.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

norma r

Post by norma r »

:shock: Ewwww... that's just a bit too close for comfort! Settle down there Taco!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

:lol: