We Need your opinions for our store

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
robertatdetour

Post by robertatdetour »

Hello Everyone,
As some of you may know about our store "Detour Gear Zone" as we are an on line store only at this time. We are planning to have a location to assist our local customers to try out products and to also pick up items at will call.
We were curious as to how many locals would be interested to see a local store other than the big three in Southern California.

We are hoping that it will still be local in Covina or San Dimas. Please let us know your thoughts!

Best Regards,

Robert

Detour Gear Zone
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

If it's financially feasible, I'd not only like to see it but I'd be willing to help. If it carries more gear and less clothing, I believe it would have an edge over the stores we currently have in the area.

I say go for it!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

I'm always interested in other options

Like Taco sez seems many large chain stores are limiting their stock and selection of climbing gear.

There are NO canyoneering gear specific options here.

I for one have to buy a pair of 5.10 Canyoneers but really want to try them on this time to ensure a good fit.

The pair I bought be fore where too small despite being ½ size larger already

The only canyoneering rope available locally is Sterling. A semi-static canyoneering rope! sheesh! (Sorry Darren /ATS :oops: )

Don't know if you could make a go of it but that's my 2¢
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I didn't even think of Canyoneering. The SG's are kinda THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE place to go for canyoneering, so having a store that caters to them would be an excellent idea!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

They might have to get a special use permit though.

Low life canyoneers hanging around would bring down property values :lol:
robertatdetour

Post by robertatdetour »

Thanks guys,
Your feedback is greatly appreciated. You are just feeding me more ideas!

We are hoping to make this happen by the beginning of next year if not hopefully sooner.

Cheers,
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

An alternative to the chains like REI and Sport Chalet, i.e. a real outdoors store, would be fabulous.

I just got back from the Eastern Sierra last week. I can't tell you how fabulous it was to go into real outdoors stores in Bishop, etc. and see "fresh" gear -- i.e. things you'll never see in a "Big Box" store. Practical gear selected by people who know the outdoors, not gear selected by "purchasers" in some office complex that may never have even seen the backcountry let alone be out in it. "Purchasers" it would seem are solely worried about volume, profit margin, etc. They constantly winnow down the selection, focusing on what kind of volume deals they can make with suppliers and reducing inventory cost & complexity.

A real outdoors shop thinks about why gear is used, what's new and innovative (but not just a useless tech toy with a lot of bells and whistles), what people need etc. I found more useful gear in one of those little mountain shops in the Eastern Sierra than in an entire REI or Sport Chalet even though the chains haves stores that are 10 times larger.

Did I mention I have an opinion about this? :lol:

HJ
Gozerian138

Post by Gozerian138 »

I would much rather shop at a specialty store than at big box stores for items like this.

Have you considered gear rentals? I have no idea about the financial soundness of it or the liability issues, but I for one think it would be pretty cool to have a local specialty store for climbing gear sales and rentals. I believe that there are people who (like me) enjoy climbing, but do not spend enough time or have enough $$$ to invest in gear (...like me).
(I can sense the cringes from you regular climbers thinking about all of the inexperienced people stumbling around the local mountains in rented gear).

A store such as this could also have climbing clinics in the local mountains run through it as well, in order to increase foot traffic in the store.

Possibilities abound..very exciting!!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Gozerian, that sounds good to me. There are some types of rentals that I don't believe should be done (cams, nuts, protection, ice screws), but axes, snowshoes, crampons and the like would probably work. I wonder how REI deals with liability with their rentals, maybe you sign something saying it's in XXXX condition when you rented it, and you will not sue if it breaks or whatever because you inspected it fully etc etc.
robertatdetour

Post by robertatdetour »

This is something I will look into, but may have a lot questions to follow.

As far as I know, REI doesn't rent out climbing gear, due to the liability factor. They only rent out crampons, ice axes, and helmets. Most places that will rent harnesses and the like usually do it in a controlled environment. Not too sure that they let you rent it out for use up in the canyons.

We will eventually carry the full line of Black Diamond and in the future, we are bringing in Mammut and Mad Rock. If there is something you are interested in, please let me know.

Thanks again everyone for your input. Please keep it coming!

Cheers,

Robert
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Hey Robert, thanks for meeting up with me on such short notice two months back, the pack you sold me is great. (Here's some pictures from that trip: http://dav.me/gallery/v/hiking/LosAngel ... anGabriel/ )

Here's my pain points with REI:

I'm always looking for caving/mining gear. Carrying a few pieces of gear that I can't get at REI would get me out to your place every time. (Rack, croll, low-attachment-point harness, torse, small lengths of dynamic rope.)

Good headlamps - High-end petzel, Fenix, StenLight, etc

PANTS. What the hell. This isn't rocket science. Shopping at REI makes me angry. Why can't I find convertible pants with big enough pockets, big zippers, good fabric, flat buckle, etc. (Side note: anyone tried railriders?)

Light backpacks - You got this covered. :)
robertatdetour

Post by robertatdetour »

Hi Dave,
Sorry for not answering sooner. It is always great to help anyone out. I am glad I was able to help. Thank you for the kind words as we always appreciate it.

Great tips for us to look into. We are looking into all ideas and hoping to help all of you out. Please keep your ideas coming.

Thank you again as we appreciate your insight.

Robert