Altadena Crest Trail

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Is the road open to hiking and biking that runs West from Eaton, and hugs the edge of the forest above Altadena? Just noticed it on Google Earth, and thought it would be good for an easy bike ride. Looks like it might be possible to even get to Rubio this way?
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Sweeeet!!!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

cougarmagic wrote:Sweeeet!!!
It's mostly for equestrians, but I don't recall seeing any "no bikes" signs. I've hiked it before. If you ever get back late and the gate is already locked at the start of the toll road, you can take the Altadena Riding & Hiking (Altadena Crest) trail west until you can get out.

HJ
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

cougarmagic wrote:thought it would be good for an easy bike ride.
I run on this trail frequently. It would be okay for MTB, though there are a
few carries and some pretty bad erosion in places, notably here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.19459, ... 11000&z=22
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Hikin_Jim wrote:If you ever get back late and the gate is already locked at the start of the toll road, you can take the Altadena Riding & Hiking (Altadena Crest) trail west until you can get out.
Yes, you can get out here at E Glenallen Lane:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.19435, ... 10952&z=20

. . . or here at Tanoble Drive:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.19544, ... 11455&z=20
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I am looking for the latest most up to date trail map for the Altadena Crest Trail.

Thanks in advance.
Sean

Post by Sean »

As far as I know, the ACT hasn't substantially changed for some years.

Here is the county's official page for the trail. You'll find a map, guide, and tracks there.

I don't think they've done anything about the western gap. The Rubio gap has a street detour, which can be shortened by taking overgrown trails through the AFC property.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks Sean...for some reason I thought they had come up with an official (non-street) trail to close the Rubio gap.

Traveling east-to-west, it seems all it would take to finish is to connect the ACT where it effectively ends at Zane Grey Terrace (near the water tanks) over to the SCE Tractor Road or the Loma Alta Connector then SCE Tractor Road. From there you cross Rubio Cyn. to the Lower Old Echo Mtn. Trail (Paul Ayers - and you even? - restored this I believe) up to Lower Sam Merrill at the power lines, then back down to Lake Ave.
Sean

Post by Sean »

They are still in the talking/planning stage regarding an official route through Rubio. There is a third property owner involved in addition to the county and the AFC. They own the gully which needs to be traversed above Zane Grey. Apparently, as I've heard through the grapevine, these parties can't agree on whether to install a bridge over the gully or cut through the ridgeline.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Interesting. Thanks.