Sleeping bags...

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I need a new sleeping bag. I want something that will keep me warm (head to toes) on cold nights in the Sierra Nevada.

Mostly used here in the SG's, but I don't want to be overly modest and freeze when I go elsewhere, like Shasta, Hood, various Cascades, the Sierra, etc.

Budget is something around $200 buckeroos. I have a 50L pack that I hafta cram it in. Compacting smaller than a basketball would be fantastic. I use a shelter in weather, and always have my British Army Issue Goretex bivy sack with me, regardless of situation, as long as I plan on spending the night.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Travis

Post by Travis »

I have the REI sub-kilo-20 and like it a lot. It is only rated for 20 degrees F, but I bought liner that adds 15 degrees to the rating, making it suitable for near 0 degrees F.

http://www.summitpostgear.com/gear/850/sub-kilo-20.html
Taco

Post by Taco »

Thanks Travis, that's the one you told me about. http://www.rei.com/product/731680?vcat=REI_SSHP_REI_TOC

Looks good... gotta sell some stuff before I can get one.

Anyone have any experience with the Polar Pod?: http://www.rei.com/product/753992?vcat=REI_SSHP_REI_TOC

Seems very cheap...
Travis

Post by Travis »

You may want to try checking out used bags. I have had great sucess with www.craigslist.org

I did a quick serach and it looks like there are some "used just once" deals. And since they are local, you can check it out before you buy it. Not like e-bay.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/spo/436363822.html

Travis
Taco

Post by Taco »

I forgot about using Craigslist.

Travis, how does the liner dealy stay put in yer fartbag? Does it slide around at all? I move around constantly while sleeping.
Travis

Post by Travis »

I have only used the liner twice and I did not have any problems. It seemed to stay in place fine, and I move a lot while I sleep. This is the one I have, http://www.rei.com/product/705534 . But, it does cost $50 so that is a big factor. And I am not sure how the weight to warmth ratio is, probably heavier to bring the 20 degree bag and the liner than it would be with a 0 degree bag.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Sorry for all the questions, as I've got limited experience. Either a gigantic Army-issue mummy bag that needs it's own truck, or some crappy Chinese thing (current).

I hafta go check them out upon mine next quest to the REI land of goods.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I bought a Mtn Hardwear Phantom 15 about a year ago on sale at REI for about $250. It's rated at 15' F and weighs less than 2 lbs (1lb, 15 oz). I took it snow camping near Lake Sabrina last March, and it was great (I did wear heavy long johns too). I've used it locally above 10K in April in snowy conditions, and again no complaints. Also used it above 10K in the Rockies this past summer. Really great bag. Only draw back is that the zipper is only half length.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I think I might actually prefer a half-length zipper. I take it it's kidna just more of a pain to clean then?

BTW, REI has the Polar Pod 0F on sale for $70 something bucks form the 5th to the 14th. Might go look at it. I don't mind it being a tad heavier per se, just hasta compact down to something about the size of a bloated basketball. :lol:

Probably not going to purchase anything for a few months.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I have a polar pod 20F (Long version) and I think you may have problems compacting it down as small as you want, but at that price it is definitely worth going to the store and checking it out.
Taco

Post by Taco »

How big do you get the thing down to?

I have a BD 50L pack and I traditionally use the sleeping bag as a buffer at the bottom, to keep heavy stuff up high. It doens't need to be too small. 15 inches across, 7 tall maybe? (really round figures)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

To be honest I have not tried to see how small I can get it down to, so I suggest checking it out in person. If I remember, tonight I'll try to see how small I can compress it down to. I'll post here.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Thanks! If not, no worries! I'll go check it out in the coming week or so.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hey, I remembered! I was able to get the Polar Pod 20F Long into the stuff sack it came with and it measures about 16" long x 9 to 10" diameter. If you have a 15" long by 7" diameter stuff sack you'll have to do some serious stuffing, but it might be possible. My guess is the Polar Pod 0F Long has more filling(?) and thus would be impossible to get down to 15x7. Perhaps a short version could.

Again, at that price it can't hurt to check it out in person.

Keep in mind I am not a licensed test facility! :D
Taco

Post by Taco »

Thanks Hikeup!

I'll check it out now that I know what's up!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

The Mtn Hdw bag really compresses well. It's 900 fill I believe. It's a bit pricey if not on sale.

I don't recall exactly, but I believe it will compress down in a regular stuff sack to about 10" x 5". If you're interested, I'll measure it when I get home.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Thanks for the info, but you don't need to go out of your way at all! I'm not planning on buying it until late December! Crimmas time!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Of course! Take advantage of those after Christmas sales. Always Google what you want and check eBay and Craigslist before you buy. REI also has used gear sales which can have some amazing deals.
Taco

Post by Taco »

That's what I'm thinking.

REI Arcadia only had the Polar Pod in +20, and I didn't find anything else of interest.