Do you need Permits for camping in the Angeles NF?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
caliguy92832

Post by caliguy92832 »

I was planning a multi day backpacking trip in the Angeles National Forst stopping at trail camps along the way and wanted to know if I would need to get a permit beforehand.

I wanted to hike the Mount Wilson toll road and stay at Idlehour camp for a night. Then finish the hike up to Mount Wilson. Then go down the Sturtevant Trail to the Spruce Grove camp. Then head down the Zion Trail to Hoegees camp. Then head on back down the Mount Wilson Toll road via the Mazanita Trail stopping at Idlehour camp again. So like a 3 or 4 day backpacking trip.

What I would really like to is to do the 53 mile Silver Moccasin Trail but I think alot of it is closed due to the fires.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Permits are not required for any of the camps that you mentioned.

Yes, there are a lot of closures due to the fire. The area you're discussing should be fine.

Idlehour is a bit out of the way if you're heading up the toll road. Take a look at this map of your route. Your route most looks like a lasso -- except for point "K" which is Idlehour. Idlehour in my opinion isn't all that nice of an area and certainly not worth going out of your way for. You could stop at Heninger Flats for the night and accomplish about the same thing.

You probably know this, but your camps aren't evenly spaced. Nothing undoable of course. From Idlehour to Spruce Grove will be a good hike with a backpack. From Spruce Grove to Hoegee's will only take a couple of hours. You might consider skipping the Zion Trail and going down the main trail down Santa Anita Canyon which is FAR lovelier and will give you more of a hike.

Check parking regulations carefully. There are a lot of no parking zones around the toll road trail head. Not sure if there are any general overnight restrictions on the streets of Altadena. You might want check into it.

Just some thoughts,

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Idelhour may be closed due to the fire. Henninger Flats is open for camping as far as I know. But give the Forest Service in Arcadia a call - they'll be glad to say stuff in response to your questions!

Angeles National Forest
Supervisor's Office
701 N. Santa Anita Ave.
Arcadia, CA 91006
Jody Noiron, Forest Supervisor
(626) 574-5200
FAX (626) 574-5233
CRS 1 800 735 2929
M-F 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Elwood

Post by Elwood »