20100718 San Antonio Falls

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

This was my first time on this route, and Johnny's first time canyoneering. We did one normal lap, and a "time attack" on our second lap (as fast as possible).

Our first lap was 2 hours plus or so, and our second lap was 46 minutes. I think we can get that down to half that. :-)

Some pertinent information:
-6 rappels
-All rapp stations are bolted with webbing
-Rapp 4 and 6 are fun and you get wet. 4 has you sliding into a steep tubular section with a ton of water. 5 you get kinda wet. 6 is the last one where everyone hangs out at the bottom, and has two rappels. The one on the left is wet, and the right one is dry.
-One 60 meter dynamic rope was used. My 50m dynamic met its end on the last rapp. :-( 4-5 core shots with no damage to core strands. RIP.

Just a few pics:
Shin

Shin and Bob

Falls 1

Falls 2

Fun time

Time to get incredibly friggin' wet.

Travis from ATS describes something cool

Johnny enjoying being friggin' comfortable.

Johnny enjoying being friggin' cold.

Goodbye

Spot the looney

Pics: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/T ... A%20Falls/

Going tomorrow if anyone is interested. A few laps. It's easier than falling asleep.
norma r

Post by norma r »

LOL! those are two Wild and Crazy guys in that first shot. glad you enjoyed getting friggin' uncomfortable and wet. Good times :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I see you have SAR waiting for you at the bottom. Good planning.
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

This is the picture of when they were dry.

You guys know where to spend a cool relaxing Sunday afternoon.

Nice to see you again my friends.

Shin
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

Very nice to meet you Shin,and Bob!

Had a great time with Taco super rappelling in the falls,really nice people all around,great weather,beautiful scenery.He got some pretty intense video footage also lol Even rescued some poor lady who got over her head climbing some loose rocks as her husband was yelling at her,loads of fun =D

Gotta do it a bunch more with a static rope =D
I was honored to do the last rappel on the good ole rope.The rope looked fine before the last rap as i was checking it frequently and while Taco was feeding it through.Though after coming down and feeling the rope through my hands,I had felt a bunch of core shots :/ though it held up SAFELY and like a champion through all these years.Did perfect on the last rap also.Goes to show how crucial it is to check equipment as often as possible (especially during the adventures/mountaineering/canyoneering,etc...it is critical for safety.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice work TACO and Johnny

Great shots of the rappelling :D

I'm guessing that you have a water tight bag or a water proof camera?

When's the next one of those?
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Too much fun for just two guys! I almost hit you up about going this morning, but that dang job & family got in the way (again). :roll:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Patrick, my camera is waterproof. Super tough!

If anyone wants to go, I'm interested in going again real soon. We would need at least one 200ft static rope in the group, as my rope is toast, and Johnny's 60m dynamic probably wouldn't last long if we used it there again. Static is really the only appropriate choice for a canyoneering rope.

Carpool = win
mve

Post by mve »

Dudes, what a great way to spend a hot afternoon!

PS: I can't believe Bob is still wearing EVO's! I ran into him twice during winter season and he told me that's his favorite boot, but in summer -- WOW!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

High tolerance!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

TacoDelRio wrote:Patrick, my camera is waterproof. Super tough!

If anyone wants to go, I'm interested in going again real soon. We would need at least one 200ft static rope in the group, as my rope is toast, and Johnny's 60m dynamic probably wouldn't last long if we used it there again. Static is really the only appropriate choice for a canyoneering rope.

Carpool = win
I have one of those rafting/diving/fishing "dry bags" that I will bring when I come.

I'll see what I can do to get one of those ropes - how much are they?

As mentioned before I'm playing in big softball tourney in Pismo this weekend but will be interested in something the following weekend - have to clear that with the boss as it's our 14 wedding Anniversary - I usually send her a "get well soon card" or a condolances card :shock: :wink:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

lilbitmo wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:Patrick, my camera is waterproof. Super tough!

Carpool = win
I have one of those rafting/diving/fishing "dry bags" that I will bring when I come.

I'll see what I can do to get one of those ropes - how much are they?

As mentioned before I'm playing in big softball tourney in Pismo this weekend but will be interested in something the following weekend - have to clear that with the boss as it's our 14 wedding Anniversary - I usually send her a "get well soon card" or a condolances card :shock: :wink:
If your forget #14, we'll all be sending you a get well soon card.

HJ

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Lilbitmo, not sure, I've never bought canyoneering rope.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/ ... 0029M.html

Maybe Cougarmagic or Matt Maxon can elaborate.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Very cool stuff - thanks for the intimate look at that waterfall! In heaven, that waterfall would actually be flowing a perfect mix of Red Stripe and Heineken :wink:

----

Johnny, is there footage of wife trying to save her life while the husband yells at her? --- Sounds like it could be a fun one to watch :twisted:

"He got some pretty intense video footage also lol Even rescued some poor lady who got over her head climbing some loose rocks as her husband was yelling at her,loads of fun =D
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I've never used the Sterling, but have heard it's good.

I have owned or used all of the following:

"Imlay" rope is great. The "Fire" rope has a nice soft feel to it, and knots well. The others are a little stiffer, but soften with use (your knots will look funky - though they will still be safe). All are about as static as they get.

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/shop/home.php?cat=23

Blue Water makes several varieties. The newest is "Canyonator". Similar to the Imlay in its "feel". Pretty colors!

http://www.canyonsandcrags.com/servlet/ ... ope/Detail

Blue Water Canyon, Canyon Pro, Canyon Pro DS, and Extreme are all fine choices if you like spending money. "Canyon" and "Pro" are the least static of the bunch. I don't like those - too bouncy. The rope I had at Malibu Creek is the "Extreme" (It is the best combo of lightweight and super tough).

http://shop.blackjackmountainoutfitters ... es_c19.htm

I think one of the Blue Water ropes comes in black, if looking like a ninja is one of your considerations.

Something in the area of 220' to 250' will take you through most San Gabriel canyons nicely. All these ropes shrink after getting wet - if you need a 200' rope, buy 220'...etc.

All these ropes are between 8mm and 9mm. 9mm will probably last longer, and feel more like the climbing rope you are used to.

Imlay and Canyonater are only sold at those websites. Blue Water ropes are available many places, but Blackjack is the cheapest, and allows you to buy by the foot, rather than pre-cut 200' or 300'.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I want something completely static that's long enough for any canyon in the SG's. Color: digital camo, or pink.

Thanks Johanna!
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

outwhere wrote:Very cool stuff - thanks for the intimate look at that waterfall! In heaven, that waterfall would actually be flowing a perfect mix of Red Stripe and Heineken :wink:

----

Johnny, is there footage of wife trying to save her life while the husband yells at her? --- Sounds like it could be a fun one to watch :twisted:

"He got some pretty intense video footage also lol Even rescued some poor lady who got over her head climbing some loose rocks as her husband was yelling at her,loads of fun =D

I wish we would have had an extra hand to take video or pics of the little rescue.Though we were busy acting on instinct to save the poor oblivious lady,Taco went rushing to get up to her and it was very unstable rock fall(slabs were just coming off),long story short.Lady went off trail into loose/steep rocks near the bottom waterfall,Husband yells at her to go back up trail,she tries to downclimb,not happening,she freezes up,Taco springs into action, climbs up the loose rocks as they are falling down,husband almost gets hit with falling rock(good size to do some damage),I pull husband aside and tell him to wait back there,Taco asks me to get the rope,as I get the rope,Taco gets up to the ledge,I wait until rocks clear,head up with the rope,hand rope to Taco,Taco makes quick shoulder harness sling,throws it to lady,lady puts it on,she slowly climbs back up with ease we are both holding her with a rope,In our own ways,we tell her kindly not to please put anyone in danger by doing such things and going off the trail.=D

The intense part of the video was when I went for a foothold and instead went into a Houdini act...haha fun times!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Johnny Bronson wrote:
outwhere wrote:Very cool stuff - thanks for the intimate look at that waterfall! In heaven, that waterfall would actually be flowing a perfect mix of Red Stripe and Heineken :wink:

----

I wish we would have had an extra hand to take video or pics of the little rescue.Though we were busy acting on instinct to save the poor oblivious lady,Taco went rushing to get up to her and it was very unstable rock fall(slabs were just coming off),long story short.Lady went off trail into loose/steep rocks near the bottom waterfall,Husband yells at her to go back up trail,she tries to downclimb,not happening,she freezes up,Taco springs into action, climbs up the loose rocks as they are falling down,husband almost gets hit with falling rock(good size to do some damage),I pull husband aside and tell him to wait back there,Taco asks me to get the rope,as I get the rope,Taco gets up to the ledge,I wait until rocks clear,head up with the rope,hand rope to Taco,Taco makes quick shoulder harness sling,throws it to lady,lady puts it on,she slowly climbs back up with ease we are both holding her with a rope,In our own ways,we tell her kindly not to please put anyone in danger by doing such things and going off the trail.=D

The intense part of the video was when I went for a foothold and instead went into a Houdini act...haha fun times!
I hope that husband realizes how lucky he is that Taco was there. Yeah, w/o a rock magnet like Taco to distract all those rocks, the hubby might have gotten hit. :wink: :lol:

HJ
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

this is a great deal!

Edelweiss Static (Low Stretch) Rope 9MM x 200' Caving White

$107

http://store.everestgear.com/443411.htm ... elid=FROOG