Sat July 24th what's going on?

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Heard something that up to 600 people will be going for Baldy this coming Saturday and they are opening up the upper chair lift so people can in essence take the charlift all the way up to devil's backbone and summit from there. Any word on this?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Talk to Shin, I think he told me something about it. 8)
simonov

Post by simonov »

I hope they aren't anywhere near Icehouse Canyon.
Nunc est bibendum
Bill

Post by Bill »

Zach

Post by Zach »

A little about their leader, Dr. George King.

"Over the next two decades he continued to act as Primary Terrestrial Mental Channel, recording over 600 Cosmic Transmissions from the Space Masters. This collection of transmissions constitutes the most priceless metaphysical library in the world, with a range and depth of teachings without equal in the annals of occult Truth."
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Boom boxes. Big boom boxes. Everyone on SGMDF brings a BIG boom box with BIG speakers. We focus them on he aeitherians, creating a neutralizing sound vortex. Sort of like white noise only this will be black noise. :twisted:

:lol:

HJ
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Zach wrote:A little about their leader, Dr. George King.

"Over the next two decades he continued to act as Primary Terrestrial Mental Channel, recording over 600 Cosmic Transmissions from the Space Masters. This collection of transmissions constitutes the most priceless metaphysical library in the world, with a range and depth of teachings without equal in the annals of occult Truth."
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi,
Jeff prompted me about some kind of religious event on 24th on Mt. Baldy from 9:00 am. GigaMike told us that they would be at sacred place on Mt Hardwood. One thing for sure there will be ton of people out there.

Last Sunday, we heard a loud radio from Notch direction all day long. Sierra ski hut work crew heard the noise all night long over the weekend.
The noise and traffic of people may scared off Bighorn Sheep.

I saw a big commercial bus parked along the side of road just below the IHC.
It belongs to a hiking club.

It got the point we have to consider the permit system or beef up the number of rangers out there.
Shin
simonov

Post by simonov »

snmtbaldy wrote:It got the point we have to consider the permit system or beef up the number of rangers out there.
A permit is required to go up Icehouse Canyon. I see so many people on the trail, I often wonder how many of the hikers actually have permits.

Not that it matters. A volunteer in the Visitors Center told me there are no quotas anyway. Which makes you wonder what is the point of the permits.

And even with quotas, the permits don't do much when there is no one up there checking them.
Nunc est bibendum
mve

Post by mve »

Is this really ON for this Saturday -- 600 people? I hope they are not going up the Ski Hut trail!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'd like Jim's idea if I weren't an Aetherianismist.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

It got the point we have to consider the permit system or beef up the number of rangers out there.
Amen, brother.

99% of weekends, it is not a matter of beefing up the rangers, it's that there are not any rangers in the first place. Either the forest administration is so broke they cannot put rangers on the trail or they just do not care. Opinions vary, but the bottom line is the forest suffers either way.

When we starting hiking Icehouse Canyon 12 years ago, there was always space in the parking lot even at 10AM Saturdays and the trails were not crowded. Now the lot fills by 7AM and the trail is a conga line. 12 years ago you never saw the scars left by switchback cutting. Now a volunteer labors singlehandedly trying to fill in the gaps with rocks and tree branches.

The arrival of multiple Korean hiking clubs in large numbers has not been kind to the area. I think that most of the club members hike as a social event not for the love of nature or the outdoors.

I am at the point where I might just take my chances in a permit lottery to limit traffic on the trails to a less destructive level. Of course, that assumes that such a system would be both implemented and enforced. Not likely.
simonov

Post by simonov »

RichardK wrote:99% of weekends, it is not a matter of beefing up the rangers, it's that there are not any rangers in the first place. Either the forest administration is so broke they cannot put rangers on the trail or they just do not care. Opinions vary, but the bottom line is the forest suffers either way.

I am at the point where I might just take my chances in a permit lottery to limit traffic on the trails to a less destructive level. Of course, that assumes that such a system would be both implemented and enforced. Not likely.
There's a simple solution, which is implemented in the San Gorgonio Wilderness: per-trail quotas and volunteer rangers patrolling the trails.

But I gather a lot of "professional" Forest Service staff don't like the idea of volunteers.
Nunc est bibendum