Fine dining on Mt. Wilson

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

According to the sign, it's now open from 10 - 4... on Saturdays and Sundays. I was there on Monday.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice bear proof trash can they have there. Hmmm.

More info I saw a couple of weeks ago...
http://www.mtwilson.edu/cafe.pdf
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

HikeUp wrote:Nice bear proof trash can they have there. Hmmm.
Keep the trash can emptied regularly and don't allow bears to call between the hours of 10 and 4 on weekends. :D

It is interesting that the place opened at a time when it is very hard to get to Mt. Wilson unless you walk, run, or bicycle up the trails. I wonder how many visitors they are getting.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

AlanK wrote:It is interesting that the place opened at a time when it is very hard to get to Mt. Wilson unless you walk, run, or bicycle up the trails. I wonder how many visitors they are getting.
Very true, sure hope they find a way to make it.

I'll never forget when I told my friends to forget packing a lunch on a Mt. Wilson hike - after all, we can just eat lunch at the snack stand. We were talking about the cheeseburgers almost the minute we left Chantry Flats.

You could imagine the horror in our eyes when we rounded the corner to see the snack shop all boarded up. Must have been one of the first Saturdays in our many trips that it was boarded up.

I was not too popular with my friends that day.

We limped back down to Chantry after sharing an orange or two and about 10 graham crackers between the 4 of us [very hungry hikers].

When we got back into town, went to a Mexican restaurant and ordered just about everything on the menu!

It's amazing how the body adjusts to do what it's got to do, I thought my rubbery legs would never make it back to Chantry that day!

Best of luck to the new snack shop...
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I went up yesterday figuring I'd give the place a try. I got there a little after 11. It had occurred to me that they might not be open 7 days per week, so I had a Plan B, which was to hoof it down and head over to Sierra Madre. I was good and hungry when I got my lunch.
Desert Hiker

Post by Desert Hiker »

We were up there on the 5th and had a great sandwich. They are normally closed on Mondays but since it was the day after the holiday they were open.
While we were there I saw about twenty people enjoying the views and most of them eating. Good fresh food and priced reassembly for where you were.
You can drive up from Wrightwood or drive in from the North. It’s a long way but coming from the North you really get a scope of the fire devastation. About half the people up there were on bikes.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Can I eat there and still comply with NHPS rules? :wink:
"I only went there for the food, I swear"
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

This weekend (http://www.adamspackstation.com/Calendar/calendar.html) there will be very fine dining near Mt. Wilson - Cheeseburgers & Fries, Pulled Pork Sandwiches (http://www.adamspackstation.com/pulledpork.html), and Vegitarian Italian Sausage Sandwiches (http://www.adamspackstation.com/thegrill.html).

Seriously, you have to try Eric's famous Carolina-style pulled pork. His wife, Monica, is now making the veggie sausage sandwiches.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

AW wrote:Can I eat there and still comply with NHPS rules? :wink:
"I only went there for the food, I swear"
The rules committee will have to convene a Loya jirga. There are many agenda items piling up... The head of the Arizona Chapter will be in town soon

Perhaps we'll have enough delegates for a quorum

I for one after my cogent analysis of all relevant evidence will say it is OK since the structure was placed there by NHPS to lure unsuspecting peak baggers into not summiting Mt Wilson! I as a super delegate will vote for the "exemption"
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:the structure was placed there by NHPS to lure unsuspecting peak baggers into not summiting Mt Wilson!
:twisted: The NHPS plan for world domination will soon come to fruition peakbagging fools!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I am not sure where the actual summit of Mt. Wilson is, nor do I care. I think that anyone who goes no higher than the gazebo should be safe from peak-bagging charges, at least for that day.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Just as long as they don't go behind the gazebo. (A = summit, B = gazebo)

For an NHPS'er, that's a close call. :shock:

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

ACME-FU!

SUGOI!
Desert Hiker

Post by Desert Hiker »

I think the "high Point" is at the Hooker 100-inch telescope at the Visitors' Gallery. You have to climb about three short flights of stairs.
That's as high as I have been anyway. :roll:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Desert Hiker wrote:I think the "high Point" is at the Hooker 100-inch telescope at the Visitors' Gallery. You have to climb about three short flights of stairs.
That's as high as I have been anyway. :roll:
Hookers have telescopes? :lol:

HJ

(I really need to get more sleep)
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Hookers have telescopes?
The question is, do telescopes have hookers?
Hikin_Jim wrote:(I really need to get more sleep)
You have the greatest excuse in the world -- a baby.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

How much? :)
ForestHiker

Post by ForestHiker »

outwhere wrote:
AlanK wrote:It is interesting that the place opened at a time when it is very hard to get to Mt. Wilson unless you walk, run, or bicycle up the trails. I wonder how many visitors they are getting.
Very true, sure hope they find a way to make it.

I'll never forget when I told my friends to forget packing a lunch on a Mt. Wilson hike - after all, we can just eat lunch at the snack stand. We were talking about the cheeseburgers almost the minute we left Chantry Flats.

You could imagine the horror in our eyes when we rounded the corner to see the snack shop all boarded up. Must have been one of the first Saturdays in our many trips that it was boarded up.

I was not too popular with my friends that day.

We limped back down to Chantry after sharing an orange or two and about 10 graham crackers between the 4 of us [very hungry hikers].

When we got back into town, went to a Mexican restaurant and ordered just about everything on the menu!

It's amazing how the body adjusts to do what it's got to do, I thought my rubbery legs would never make it back to Chantry that day!

Best of luck to the new snack shop...
Great story, Outwhere. Those are the kind of trips that build strong friendships. You are lucky to have these friends.