Two hot days in the San Gabriels

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Left “Manker Flats” at 3:20 Sat afternoon and went up Register Ridge to Harwood, then over to the top of Baldy where we waited an hour for the sun to set. Temperatures were hot (something above 85 degrees when we left the trailhead), views were nice but there was hazy in the distance in all directions. Ran into Mike Torres and his fried Lee at the summit they were on the final two summits of 11 – they did Falling Rock Canyon to Sugarloaf, Ontario, Bighorn, Cucamonga, Etiwanda, Timber, Telegraph, Thunder, Harwood, Baldy and were headed to West Baldy – nice work Mike and Lee.

Home bye 11:15 PM to bed at 12 midnight and up at 4:15AM to meet with two more friends that wanted to do Ice House and the three “T’s”. Started up the trail by 6:15 AM after leaving the second car at the Ski Lift lower parking lot. Bye the time we reached “Thunder” the heat was getting intense, again it was 2 PM and over 85 degrees and as everyone knows it, there’s no hiding from the sun mid-day on that dirt road coming down from the notch – the lack of sleep and the heat made me want to crawl into falls at the bottom but we were not going out that way – needless to say I was quite happy to get home and take a dip in the “Pool”.

The snow on the backside of Harwood for the chute that Taco, Sam and I did a couple of weeks ago is 60% melted out and disappearing fast, the snow on the backside of Baldy that Taco and Sam did and then Dave G and myself just did last Monday is 35-40% melted out in just one week.

Pictures for Saturday afternoon are here – Register Ridge/Harwood/Baldy

Pictures for Sunday on the Three T’s are here -Timber/Telegraph/Thunder
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Holy shit, that melted out fast!
norma r

Post by norma r »

Good job! But darn Patrick, you is a sucker for punishment... going out in that heat two days in a row? :shock: Yikes! You're a better man than i am Gunga Din!
taktical

Post by taktical »

lilbitmo wrote: Home bye 11:15 PM to bed at 12 midnight and up at 4:15AM to meet with two more friends that wanted to do Ice House and the three “T’s”. Started up the trail by 6:15 AM after leaving the second car at the Ski Lift lower parking lot. Bye the time we reached “Thunder” the heat was getting intense, again it was 2 PM and over 85 degrees and as everyone knows it, there’s no hiding from the sun mid-day on that dirt road coming down from the notch – the lack of sleep and the heat made me want to crawl into falls at the bottom but we were not going out that way – needless to say I was quite happy to get home and take a dip in the “Pool”.

The snow on the backside of Harwood for the chute that Taco, Sam and I did a couple of weeks ago is 60% melted out and disappearing fast, the snow on the backside of Baldy that Taco and Sam did and then Dave G and myself just did last Monday is 35-40% melted out in just one week.

Pictures for Saturday afternoon are here – Register Ridge/Harwood/Baldy

Pictures for Sunday on the Three T’s are here -Timber/Telegraph/Thunder
I'm assuming that the Icehouse Canyon trail is clear of snow all the way to Timber Mt. Can you confirm?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

taktical wrote:I'm assuming that the Icehouse Canyon trail is clear of snow all the way to Timber Mt. Can you confirm?
Yes, the trail is clear of snow all the way to the top of Timber, only small amounts of snow on the north east side of Telegraph and none to speak of on Thunder - One patch near the end of the ski run just to the west where the service road meets the ski run, that's it.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

I can't believe how quickly the north side of Harwood has melted. :shock:
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Nice outings, Patrick! Where do you buy those huge cans of Red Bull? :wink:
I see what looks like a rope attached to the Telegraph register box. Is the big chain gone?? :shock:
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Dave G wrote:Nice outings, Patrick! Where do you buy those huge cans of Red Bull? :wink:
I see what looks like a rope attached to the Telegraph register box. Is the big chain gone?? :shock:
Chain is still attached, it was just tucked up underneath
tinaballina

Post by tinaballina »

Nice work biatch...........
:)
Zach

Post by Zach »

Patrick: how's that SA ridge looking? crampons and ice ax still needed?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Zach wrote:Patrick: how's that SA ridge looking? crampons and ice ax still needed?
Mike Torres and some others are going to do the out and back soon from Baldy downward.

It's clean enough for a run, the snow has melted out on most of the ridge.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Nice nice - some great photos! The perspectives of the bowl are very interesting...